PDA

View Full Version : warmest mittens

Battis
12-11-2022, 08:07 PM
I've lived in cold weather for my entire life, but already this year, due to meds that I'm on, I cannot get my hands warm, and it's not even winter yet. I usually use the chemical hand warmer packs but I need something nuclear. I don't hunt, but I hike and snowshoe. I'm thinking down filled, maybe even fur.
Any suggestions?

BLAHUT
12-11-2022, 08:12 PM
Leather choppers with gauntlets along with wool liners. Then you can throw in a body warmer packet if needed. I have the same problem with meds. This is what I use. Drove dogs for many years and this works.

36g
12-11-2022, 08:20 PM
There are some decent electric ones with rechargeable battery packs.

elmacgyver0
12-11-2022, 08:23 PM
I am not on any meds and my hands and feet are always cold.
I wear gloves inside of leather mittens with hand warmer packs in the palms when I blow snow and my fingers still get cold but not to the point of hurting.
I got chemical toe warmers for my boots.
Fortunately, I have not had to move any snow so far this winter.

NyFirefighter357
12-11-2022, 08:23 PM
"Heated Mittens Gloves for Men Women,Rechargeable 5000mAh Electric Battery Heated Gloves, Waterproof Ski Gloves, Thermal Touchscreen Gloves for Skiing Skating Hiking Snow Motorcycle" $70

【2022 UPGRADE HEATING GLOVES】7.4V 2500mAh high capacity Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries , easily adjust the 3 temperature (High, Medium, Low) settings and work up to 7 hours(full charged), more safe more capacity than other batteries on the market and more comfortable to wear, especially good for Raynaud's disease, Arthritis, Bad Circulation.
����【LONG LASTING & FAST HEATED】Red LED Light is high setting (140℉/ 2.5-3.5hours), Blue LED Light is medium setting (131℉/ 3.5-5hours), Green LED Light is low setting (113℉/ 7hours). The back and fingers of the gloves are covered with heating elements, Press and hold for three seconds can turn on the switch, Fast heating takes only 30 seconds to warm your entire hands.
����【WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF】Heated gloves are made of soft PU leather and waterproof polyester fiber, the inside with breathable comfort 3M cotton, including waterproof& windproof layer, heating layer, warm layer. waterproof and anti-slip, durable and breathable, keep your hands warm. Suitable for Motorcycle, Hiking, Snowboarding Outdoor Winter Sport.
����【TOUCHSCREEN DESIGN】The heated ski gloves have screen touch function, coated with conductive leather on thumb, available to use electric devices like tablets, mobile phones, and LCD car screens without taking off heated gloves. Ergonomic design with adjustable wrist strap, toggle drawstring and reflective strip.
����【WHAT YOU GET】1 pair of Heated Gloves, 1pcs gift box, 2pcs 7.4V 2500mAh batteries, 1pcs DC charging, and user manual. We offer a 12-month warranty. Winter heated ski gloves are an excellent practical gift for men women, family , lover or friends!

BLAHUT
12-11-2022, 08:26 PM
I am not on any meds and my hands and feet are always cold.
I wear gloves inside of leather mittens with hand warmer packs in the palms when I blow snow and my fingers still get cold but not to the point of hurting.
I got chemical toe warmers for my boots.
Fortunately, I have not had to move any snow so far this winter.

Try propylene glove liners on hands first, keeps hands dry...

BLAHUT
12-11-2022, 08:26 PM
"Heated Mittens Gloves for Men Women,Rechargeable 5000mAh Electric Battery Heated Gloves, Waterproof Ski Gloves, Thermal Touchscreen Gloves for Skiing Skating Hiking Snow Motorcycle" $70

【2022 UPGRADE HEATING GLOVES】7.4V 2500mAh high capacity Rechargeable Li-ion Batteries , easily adjust the 3 temperature (High, Medium, Low) settings and work up to 7 hours(full charged), more safe more capacity than other batteries on the market and more comfortable to wear, especially good for Raynaud's disease, Arthritis, Bad Circulation.
����【LONG LASTING & FAST HEATED】Red LED Light is high setting (140℉/ 2.5-3.5hours), Blue LED Light is medium setting (131℉/ 3.5-5hours), Green LED Light is low setting (113℉/ 7hours). The back and fingers of the gloves are covered with heating elements, Press and hold for three seconds can turn on the switch, Fast heating takes only 30 seconds to warm your entire hands.
����【WATERPROOF & WINDPROOF】Heated gloves are made of soft PU leather and waterproof polyester fiber, the inside with breathable comfort 3M cotton, including waterproof& windproof layer, heating layer, warm layer. waterproof and anti-slip, durable and breathable, keep your hands warm. Suitable for Motorcycle, Hiking, Snowboarding Outdoor Winter Sport.
����【TOUCHSCREEN DESIGN】The heated ski gloves have screen touch function, coated with conductive leather on thumb, available to use electric devices like tablets, mobile phones, and LCD car screens without taking off heated gloves. Ergonomic design with adjustable wrist strap, toggle drawstring and reflective strip.
����【WHAT YOU GET】1 pair of Heated Gloves, 1pcs gift box, 2pcs 7.4V 2500mAh batteries, 1pcs DC charging, and user manual. We offer a 12-month warranty. Winter heated ski gloves are an excellent practical gift for men women, family , lover or friends!

How much ?? Where to get ??? How heavy ??

M-Tecs
12-11-2022, 09:15 PM
https://www.bing.com/search?q=Heated+Mittens+Gloves+for+Men+Women%2CRec hargeable+5000mAh+Electric+Battery+Heated+Gloves%2 C&aqs=edge..69i57&FORM=ANCMS9&PC=W000

Battis
12-11-2022, 09:27 PM
I had checked out the battery heated gloves on Amazon and they are interesting. I also found a site that sells fur gloves (coyote, beaver, etc). Pricey but I'll bet they're warm.

Geezer in NH
12-11-2022, 09:30 PM
Leather choppers with gauntlets along with wool liners. Then you can throw in a body warmer packet if needed. I have the same problem with meds. This is what I use. Drove dogs for many years and this works.I agree there. 25+ years of fire service in New England thank God for wool mittens. They got wet every fire, grew in length a lot but kept hands warm and no frostbite on the fireground.

Battis
12-11-2022, 09:44 PM
Leather choppers with gauntlets along with wool liners...
Might sound dumb, but what are the gauntlets?

Ah...the extra piece on the wrist.

G W Wade
12-11-2022, 09:46 PM
Back to 1st post, Leather chopper mitts and wool liners. Poly liner optional, GW

megasupermagnum
12-11-2022, 10:16 PM
I've never tried down mittens so I can't comment on those. My "nuclear option" mittens for when I'm sitting on a cold stand are the surplus N4B mittens, and I like a wool rag glove with those. The problem is they are a rather loose fit unless you cinch them down. That is with the poly liner in them, which I prefer so I can get them off quick and quietly to shoot. You can get them with a wool liner which may stay on your hand better.

36g
12-11-2022, 10:42 PM
https://voltheat.com/collections/heated-gloves

I haven't tried their gloves but have one of their vests and jackets. They work well.

xs11jack
12-11-2022, 11:08 PM
Several years ago I got a pair of heated gloves for my snowblowing. They are from Western Store.com. Do not buy these gloves from them. The instructions are very much like the ones posted by NYfirefighter. NYfirefighter's but his sounds much better than mine. Mine tell you that when you first put them on, they will heat up to 55-60 degrees Celsius for a while then automatically switch to medium 45-55 degrees Celsius. And it goes down from there. They cost at that time was about 80 dollars. And they are not worth any bit of it. The batteries are rated about half of the batteries in NYfirefighter's gloves. Again, don't buy from Western Store.com!
Ole Jack

Battis
12-11-2022, 11:17 PM
I just found a pair of Kinco leather mittens in "the stash" (might be my son's) with a long wrist. They're lined in fleece but maybe I can bubba them with a wool lining. Down filled might be a choice. Whatever happened to global warming?

BLAHUT
12-11-2022, 11:25 PM
I just found a pair of Kinco leather mittens in "the stash" (might be my son's) with a long wrist. They're lined in fleece but maybe I can bubba them with a wool lining. Down filled might be a choice. Whatever happened to global warming?

Down only works if not compressed, Down only works when dry.....Wool with a poly liner inside a leather chopper with gantlets...

Tripplebeards
12-11-2022, 11:31 PM
I use an old pair that are almost worn out by guide gear. Have had them for 30 years. They are rag wool with pop tops and thumb pop tops. I stick heat pack in the finger pop tops when really cold. Mine are brown. Don’t think anyone makes the exact ones but I see various versions are available about every where I look. I need bare fingers when I pull the trigger and they open up to expose them instantly when needed. Looks like “heat factory” gloves closely resemble mine. I can say the thumb slit I’m not a fan of. If my exposed thumb is resting on my gun barrel it gets cold real quick. Probably don’t need the thumb “pop” slit option.

Chena
12-11-2022, 11:56 PM
Twenty-five years ago I kept horses near Fairbanks, Alaska. What with feed, water and other chores I was outside doing moderate labor for about two hours a night in winter. I have never been able work effectively wearing mittens, so during the spells of extreme cold (-40F and below) my hands turned numb after a half hour or so. My feet also because I worn rubber bottom Sorels with wool liners, due to muck inside the stable, which in those days kept my feet warm for less than an hour. The solution, which I emphatically do not recommend, was to duct tape chemical hand warmers on top of the cuffs of my long Johns, positioned directly over the blood vessels in my wrists. Directly over the femoral arteries for the feet. It also had a whole body effect. Probably very stupid in retrospect, but it worked for me at the time.

deces
12-12-2022, 12:25 AM
Tool companies like Dewalt & milwaukee offer nice battery heated jackets and some of them can be connected to heated gloves. You could even get a power adapter with the right voltage and just run them off the grid like a heated blanket.

sigep1764
12-12-2022, 01:43 AM
I am a year round motorcycle rider in the Midwest. Best thing ever invented was Joe Rocket heated gloves. Lipo batteries last at least ten hours, three different heat settings, wind and water proof. Seriously, my hands sweat in 30 degree weather at 80mph.
https://www.thewarmingstore.com/joe-rocket-burner-leather-glove.html?mainc=1522-1006&utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&adpos=&scid=scplp1522-1006&sc_intid=1522-1006&gclid=Cj0KCQiAnNacBhDvARIsABnDa68Alr3ckLCHnlcAcOzW iGWD_gW1y9syBOxdW3o2ZduKDzhwxQVSdK0aAnyZEALw_wcB

MrWolf
12-12-2022, 09:26 AM
Leather choppers with gauntlets along with wool liners. Then you can throw in a body warmer packet if needed. I have the same problem with meds. This is what I use. Drove dogs for many years and this works.

Bruce I had no clue what you were talking about. Kept thinking motorcycle "choppers" gloves - duh. Thanks had to look them up. Never thought about them before but will now. My hands and feet are always cold.
Ron

trebor44
12-12-2022, 12:48 PM
Mittens work best with a liner: wool or polyester, even the down ones (expedition, shorties and shooting) I have used needed the 'extra' layer. Finger-less gloves can be handy if you needed to take the mittens off but want to have some warmth with dexterity!

rbuck351
12-12-2022, 01:39 PM
I hunted out of Nome Ak. for several years on snow machines that didn't have heated grips. What worked for me and my hunting partners was beaver hide mittens with light wool gloves inside. These mittens were hand made about a foot long and fit big enough to use gloves inside and still be a loose fit. Warm hands to -50. For my feet, I used bunny boots which are good to at least -50.

schutzen-jager
12-12-2022, 03:06 PM
loose fitting U.S. GI long leather mittens over U.S. GI wool mittens -

.429&H110
12-12-2022, 11:39 PM
When we moved to Alaska 99705...
I found out I can't get good mittens over my knuckles
silly little storebought mitten thumbs are useless.
So wife knit for me huge wool mittens
and shrunk them to one third their knit size.
a.k.a. boiled mittens. A lost art?
She had over 100 hours knitting them,
$15/hr, $1500 mittens?
Yup, a lost art...

BLAHUT
12-12-2022, 11:45 PM
When we moved to Alaska 99705...
I found out I can't get good mittens over my knuckles
silly little storebought mitten thumbs are useless.
So wife knit for me huge wool mittens
and shrunk them to one third their knit size.
a.k.a. boiled mittens. A lost art?
She had over 100 hours knitting them,
$15/hr, $1500 mittens?
Yup, a lost art...

My wife makes these on a regular bases for grand kids and ???? Boiled is called felting, I think my wife told me ??

rockshooter
12-13-2022, 02:36 AM
another vote for chopper (horsehide version) outers over felted wool. Got some in my closet now!
Loren

GregLaROCHE
12-13-2022, 09:57 AM
Beaver mittens are the best with some chem packs optional. I always wore thin military surplus wool gloves inside, so if I needed to do something that required dexterity, I could use my still protected my fingers if needed.

Battis
12-13-2022, 10:13 AM
I like these but I don't think they're practical for what I want. It'd be funny to watch certain groups react to them.
https://www.glacierwear.com/fur-vests-fur-accessories/real-fur-mittens-musher-mitts.html

nicholst55
12-13-2022, 06:55 PM
I like these but I don't think they're practical for what I want. It'd be funny to watch certain groups react to them.
https://www.glacierwear.com/fur-vests-fur-accessories/real-fur-mittens-musher-mitts.html

I saw mittens like that made from moose hide with wolf fur on them when I was stationed in Alaska. I lusted after a pair, but realized that I had no earthly use for them once I left Alaska.

rbuck351
12-14-2022, 12:16 PM
You have found the right hand wear for really cold weather. Any of the fur ones work well but I prefer the beaver ones with a light set of gloves in side.

Beerd
12-14-2022, 01:24 PM

they also have sheepskin mitts.
(might not be very water resistant though)

fatnhappy
12-15-2022, 09:00 AM
When I was 14 I severed 7 tendons, the ulnar motor and sensory nerves, and the artery in my right wrist. Ever since I've had difficulty keeping the hand warm in winter.

I'm still using my issued wool glove liners inside leather work gloves or lined mittens for snow blowing or sledding.
Hunting is somewhat more of a challenge as I don't want an exterior glove on my trigger hand. I simply wear the wool glove liner and a hand muff in case I need it.

YMMV

georgerkahn
12-15-2022, 09:44 AM
I've lived in cold weather for my entire life, but already this year, due to meds that I'm on, I cannot get my hands warm, and it's not even winter yet. I usually use the chemical hand warmer packs but I need something nuclear. I don't hunt, but I hike and snowshoe. I'm thinking down filled, maybe even fur.
Any suggestions?

Suffering circulation challenges accompanying the added candle on my birthday cake each March, I "needed" electric/battery warmed socks. Sooo delighted with the Snow Deer brand ones I purchased from Amazon dot com, I elected to purchase their mittens. All I can say is "WOW!" I feel NO heat (e.g., annoying hot spots) but -- e.g., two hours on tractor in 14*C (~ 6*F) snow -- my hands both stayed 100% dry and comfortable! 308105 I lost no mobility and could move fingers with no challenges, either. The batteries keep heat for several hours, too -- and after this use it only took about 90 minutes to get batteries (Lithium) back up to 100% charge. They do work for me!

white eagle
12-15-2022, 12:13 PM
when it's that cold I stay inside
seriously when I was a kid I always had cold hands now that I am an old coot
my hands do not get as cold as they once did can't explain it but thats the way it is

Tripplebeards
12-15-2022, 12:26 PM
I just normally keep my hands in my pockets when I’m out in my tree stand and if it’s really cold I’ll take a hot hands pack and throw it in my pocket with them. I can deal with 30 seconds to two minutes of pulling my hands out of my pockets to shoot a deer and then put them back in.

clearwater
12-15-2022, 02:58 PM
I like elk hide choppers over wool mitts.

Here are some cowhide for cheap that should work well too.
https://www.farmandhomesupply.com/kinco-1931-l-chopper-mitt-shell-gloves-men-s-l-wing-thumb-easy-on-shirred-elastic-cuff-grain-cowhide-leather-tan.html

wool liners.
https://www.amazon.com/Fox-River-Ragg-Mitt-Small/dp/B0033C9M88/ref=sr_1_18?keywords=military%2Bwool%2Bmittens&qid=1671129796&sr=8-18&th=1

Warmer would be modern military over mitts with insulation and pile
U.S. Military Surplus ECW Mittens, Used
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/product/index/us-military-surplus-ecw-mittens-used?a=2165102