PDA

View Full Version : 36 Caliber Maxi-Ball Mold

BadgerShooter
12-09-2022, 10:35 PM
Does anyone have a line on a 36 Caliber Maxi-Ball mold? I had some cast in the dim and distant past for my underhammer and would like to get a mold. Looking at Accurate Molds to have one made, but if one is available, so much the better.

CastingFool
12-10-2022, 10:12 PM
307960 does this look like what you want?

BLAHUT
12-10-2022, 10:48 PM
If I remember correctly many years ago I shot a .36 cal black powder gun and used one of the buckshot's off the shelf for shotgun loads ?

BadgerShooter
12-10-2022, 11:46 PM
Looks like exactly what I want! I have an underhammer 36 that likes them. I have a primitive biathlon(muzzleloaders and showshoes) coming up and I'd like to run them to speed up the loading process as opposed to patched round balls. Their only requirement is that it is a lead bullet. I have been experimenting with some of the bullets I bought years ago and they have a huge amount of weight variation and some are pretty poor casting quality. Not what I need for shooting the match. Once I segregated by weight, they shot pretty well. PM if you are interested in selling

pworley1
12-11-2022, 08:22 AM
The Lyman 364615 is what you want. They show up often on ebay and gunbroker.

dondiego
12-11-2022, 11:33 AM
Looks like exactly what I want! I have an underhammer 36 that likes them. I have a primitive biathlon(muzzleloaders and showshoes) coming up and I'd like to run them to speed up the loading process as opposed to patched round balls. Their only requirement is that it is a lead bullet. I have been experimenting with some of the bullets I bought years ago and they have a huge amount of weight variation and some are pretty poor casting quality. Not what I need for shooting the match. Once I segregated by weight, they shot pretty well. PM if you are interested in selling

Is you Underhammer made by Hopkins and Allen? The bore of my H&A is too small to accept a Maxi Ball.

BadgerShooter
12-11-2022, 11:34 AM
I'll do some looking. Thanks!

Mine is a H&A. The Maxi balls I have are .365 at the top ring and the center and bottom ring are .361. They fit fine in the one I have. I can't get patched round balls to shoot till I'm up at the 40-50 grain range - way hotter than what I want to run the gun for. The bore has a lot of chatter and has a bit of a tight spot in the center. I'm thinking about fire lapping it.

CastingFool
12-11-2022, 04:56 PM
I'll Mike the maxi balls and report the result.

The few I measured show .360 for the top ring, .355-.356 for the base and middle ring.

gmsharps
12-11-2022, 05:07 PM
pm sent on mold

gmsharps

Good Cheer
12-17-2022, 05:22 AM
Saw one on ebay. Hope it's not the one I once loaned to a member.

BadgerShooter
12-21-2022, 12:20 PM
The mold from Gmsharps is excellent. Casted up a bunch using pure lead. Accuracy was still not outstanding but I switched to Swiss 3F and my groups shrunk by half. I think I'm approaching a workable load. The match is steel swingers and I can usually hit a 4" swinger at 50 yards offhand so I'm getting there. More accuracy never hurts though.

BadgerShooter
01-29-2023, 12:36 PM
I won the primitive biathlon with the mold from Gmsharps. Lubed with Crisco over 30 grains of 3F Swiss. Hit 10 of the 12 targets and had the fastest time by 4 minutes. Practice pays off!
Thanks for the mold!