PDA

View Full Version : Bore Pictures

Super Sneaky Steve
12-09-2022, 03:54 PM
OK, the other thread made me go out and buy a borescope. Here's the picture thread. Post them if you got em'.

Here's my CVA Accura in 45 cal. This gun has only been fired with home made black powder, wool wads and lubed cast boolits. I was surprised to find copper fouling in the groves. I did use a new and very tight copper bore brush for it's last cleaning. I only use hot water with a drop of dawn to clean it. I use one patch to siphon water, one patch to dry it and one patch to add Balistol. So that's it 3 patches to clean total.
https://i.imgur.com/KA6DjTc.jpg

Next up is my CVA Optima in 50cal. Early in it's life it shot a lot of pyrodex with whatever I could find, which included powerbelts and other plastic crap. Recently it has been shot with home made black, wool wads and lubed cast boolits as it should be. I was surprised how clean it is. Early in it's life I used all kinds of cleaners but now I just use warm water with a drop of dawn using my same 3 patch cleaning method. Quick and easy.
https://i.imgur.com/AqjJmXw.jpg

This barrel has no lead, fouling or anything else. Squeaky clean!

Super Sneaky Steve
12-09-2022, 07:06 PM
So, I was playing with my new today today and just looking at all the guns around me and I noticed the barrel of my LCRX in .38spl, one of my most accurate guns had all kind of crap in the barrel. What looked like powdercoat fouling and other residue. Since hot water and dawn worked so well on my muzzleloaders I tried it on my LCR which never shot BP a day in it's life. Low and behold it's really clean now! Maybe we don't need all these harsh chemicals to clean barrels, maybe hot water and dawn is the best barrel cleaner ever!

Hannibal
12-09-2022, 09:10 PM
So, I was playing with my new today today and just looking at all the guns around me and I noticed the barrel of my LCRX in .38spl, one of my most accurate guns had all kind of crap in the barrel. What looked like powdercoat fouling and other residue. Since hot water and dawn worked so well on my muzzleloaders I tried it on my LCR which never shot BP a day in it's life. Low and behold it's really clean now! Maybe we don't need all these harsh chemicals to clean barrels, maybe hot water and dawn is the best barrel cleaner ever!

Just keep in mind that you need to keep those squeaky clean bores treated with some type of oil when you store them especially if you live in a high humidity area.
When I got my borescope I was shocked at some of what I saw in my older guns. I've since changed not only my cleaning methods but my storage methods as well.

indian joe
12-09-2022, 11:36 PM
I pretty much only shoot blackpowder these days - not as meticulous as many guys - but I do use a lot of H2O
Soot is ok - dont hurt anything .........salt NOT ok - not even the tiniest hint of it

So put a white patch down mine you gonna get a dirty one back - combination of soot, boolit lube residue, WD40, and maybe some oil. -----but ---- no rust !!!

barnabus
12-10-2022, 07:35 AM
OK, the other thread made me go out and buy a borescope. Here's the picture thread. Post them if you got em'.

Here's my CVA Accura in 45 cal. This gun has only been fired with home made black powder, wool wads and lubed cast boolits. I was surprised to find copper fouling in the groves. I did use a new and very tight copper bore brush for it's last cleaning. I only use hot water with a drop of dawn to clean it. I use one patch to siphon water, one patch to dry it and one patch to add Balistol. So that's it 3 patches to clean total.
https://i.imgur.com/KA6DjTc.jpg

Next up is my CVA Optima in 50cal. Early in it's life it shot a lot of pyrodex with whatever I could find, which included powerbelts and other plastic crap. Recently it has been shot with home made black, wool wads and lubed cast boolits as it should be. I was surprised how clean it is. Early in it's life I used all kinds of cleaners but now I just use warm water with a drop of dawn using my same 3 patch cleaning method. Quick and easy.
https://i.imgur.com/AqjJmXw.jpg

This barrel has no lead, fouling or anything else. Squeaky clean!

what make and model of borescope is that? The images are awesome

Super Sneaky Steve
12-10-2022, 05:55 PM
what make and model of borescope is that? The images are awesome

Cost me only 29.99 shipped!
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08DF7FCL6?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

I'm not tech savvy. I still use a flip phone but even I could figure this out. Just plug into your computer's USB port and open the camera app. You can take pictures or video. The pictures you see are with the angled mirror. It can be removed so you can look right down the barrel if you want. I'm very happy with it and you'll be amazed at all the stuff you'll see. Very small imperfections hidden away.

Static line
02-17-2023, 08:31 AM
I bought a Teslong borescope off of Amazon for my rifle barrels. I like it so well, I bought a shorter Teslong borescope for my revolvers. Didn't cost all that much but a much used addition to my gun cleaning systems. A borescope will definitely cause you to rethink your cleaning habits. You think you know all there is to know about cleaning your bore, look again but instead of the bore light that tells you absolutely nothing, try a bore scope. A shiney bore as seen with a bore light does not mean a clean bore.

T-Bird
02-19-2023, 06:14 PM
Bought it on sale today 22$

freakonaleash
02-19-2023, 07:23 PM
Bore scopes are probably the worst things ever invented..

Hannibal
02-19-2023, 07:32 PM
To each their own. But looking down a barrel with a flashlight only tells you if the bore is obstructed or not. If you can see anything then it's REALLY bad.

T-Bird
02-23-2023, 05:22 PM
I cancelled my order because the reviews said it won't work with Windows or an I Phone. That's
all I have

Fitz
02-23-2023, 05:32 PM
Mine just arrived today and with my mac book it was simple to get going and image is as good as any I have seen posted , thanks for sharing this .

Super Sneaky Steve
02-23-2023, 07:29 PM
The one I linked to works with Windows. I just go to the camera ap.

elmacgyver0
02-23-2023, 08:21 PM
Anytime someone posts a link into Amazon it seems like it is always "unavailable".

T-Bird
02-24-2023, 10:10 AM
Well, I saw this info in the comments/reviews section. It was a common reason for a low rating. Maybe just a bunch of non techy (like me) people but I I didn't want to take a chance.

Nazgul
02-26-2023, 07:03 PM
I have the Teslong with the included screen. Avoids all the issues with the app. Works very well.

Don

Hannibal
02-26-2023, 07:38 PM
Something else to muddy the waters. A borescope will show non-concentric throats, damage or inclusions to the lands and grooves, the effectiveness or ineffectiveness of your cleaning, corrosion damage and a poor or damaged crown. It can't tell you if there are constructions due to roll stamps or incorrectly applied sights and other mountings such as tube magazine mountings. Nor can it identify problems such as a bore that opens up toward the muzzle by .0015" or more.

There is much to learn and it's best to keep your eyes open. Some things have merit. Many don't. And mistakes are the best teachers.

SSGOldfart
02-28-2023, 11:35 AM
Anytime someone posts a link into Amazon it seems like it is always "unavailable".

yep got me again too Remember there could be a time lag [smilie=1:

OverMax
03-01-2023, 08:32 PM
I use one of those CVA bore light thing'ees that's powered-up by 2 hearing aid battery's. Roller-coasters down the bores 45 thru 69 cal. It's a OK light. Although I'm kind'a with freakonaleash. I believe a fellow can get too anal about gun barrel fouling and light surface rust. I clean my barrels with tap water and Dawn soap too. Wipe bore dry as best I can. Patch a medium coat of wonder lube. Wa'la done! "See you next Fall my side lock friend !!"

Powderhorn1955
03-06-2023, 06:23 PM
I have been happy with my Teslong. I also purchased the 5 mirror set. Nothing wrong with using the .200 mirrors that came with mine. I just seem to find the mirrors that get you a little closer to the bore diameter to be easier to focus and give me a view of a larger area. The set includes mirrors for .22,.243,.30,.38, and.40. Sells for about $20 and will only fit the NTG series. I would like to see something in the .54 cal. range for my front stuffers.
Take care,
Ed

john.k
04-15-2023, 09:04 PM
Anything large ,the cheap $10 cams are good ,just use a white foam bean as a reflector ,and you get excellent pics ..........without the bean,you get the useless image we are all familiar with

Hellgate
04-16-2023, 06:27 PM
I need clarification for my lack of imagination:
What is a white foam bean? How big?
Where it is positioned?
Attached/glued?

Brimstone
04-16-2023, 06:30 PM
Packing peanuts or shipping foam, can be cut with copper tubing to diameter. Something soft and white in color to reflect light but can be gently pushed down the bore without damaging it.
Helps taking bore pics without looking down a dark hole or having an intense light shining back.

Hellgate
04-16-2023, 06:34 PM
How do you get it back out?

Rockingkj
04-16-2023, 08:24 PM
My bore scope is not as clear as yours showed but mine was an eye opener examining the breach area of two of my muzzle loaders. 1st pic shows before 2nd shows after more though cleaning. If you have ignition issues your breech may need an angioplasty.

Hannibal
04-16-2023, 09:49 PM
Yet people still say borescopes are only good for gunsmiths to sell barrels.

I'll never understand that thought process.

a.squibload
04-26-2023, 02:13 AM
I know, old thread, my anecdote might not even be relevant but here goes:

One time I pulled out my old 303 Brit that I hadn't shot for over a year, looked down the bore and
OH (bleep)!, it was all fuzzy-lookin. Almost no open space. I thought it was ruined, had no idea
what that was. Back then I was usin Remoil or Hoppe's, pretty sure I stored it with some of that
kinda stuff wiped thin in the bore. A wipe with oil got rid of all the fuzzies, dry patches 'til they
came out clean, bore was nice & shiny. I'm guessin the oil drew out some fouling from the "pores"
(never could figure how barrel steel could have pores but I'm no metallurgist).

Nowadays I use 50/50 atf / kerosene, cleans great, lubes great, no rust, EXCEPT for muzzleloaders,
only BP type lube in them, no petroleum. Crisco & olive oil, or Bore Butter, natural stuff.
Was interesting when I started with BP guns, the fouling ring that moves with each shot. Don't get that
any more.

Anyway thanks a lot, now I want a borescope, always some new tool to buy. I clicked that link,
product is "not available". 'Course they think I'm in the Netherlands, maybe I'll check it again some time.

Richard66
04-30-2023, 12:41 PM
Can anyone tell me the reason for not using petroleum oil in a M/Z loader but it is ok in other guns I have used it with no problems

charlie b
04-30-2023, 05:42 PM
IIRC it leaves behind a tar like residue. Not sure if the modern synthetics do that or not.

dondiego
04-30-2023, 06:16 PM
It is fine after you clean the firearm for rust prevention. Give it a swab before loading during the next session. A good idea with any lube. The problem comes mostly from using petroleum based bullet lubes during shooting.