PDA

View Full Version : In need of 9mm bullet that feeds in glock

seabat0603
02-02-2009, 04:45 PM
My neighbor has a glock. He wants to shoot more but doesn't reload. That's where I come into this picture. Now I don't own a 9mm and haven't since the early 1980's and I have been searching the web cite here for a few days. I have found some good advice but still just not sure on the mold or molds to really consider.
I am looking at the following molds,: 1) LYMAN # 356637-147g...or LYMAN #356637-125g hp. Has anyone shot these 2 bullets? Does anyone have either of these molds? Other than the 2 molds I have listed, are there any other suggestions?
Any 9mm caster out there that wishes to weigh in I would be happy to listen to. Thanks-seabat0603

deltaenterprizes
02-02-2009, 05:20 PM
I like the SAECO 147gr RN

billyb
02-02-2009, 05:31 PM
I use a rcbs 09-124-cn in my glock 19, with a storm lake replacement barrel. I have cast and shot many thousand's of this boolit in my S&W 59, S&W639, 92 Beretta, and my glock. No problem with feeding and is a good accurate boolit. Bill

Wayne S
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
I think Glock recommends NOT using cast bullets, and have herd this from several others. They all suggest an after market BBl. I've looked and Lone Wolf has the lowest cost and comes recommended .

jack19512
02-02-2009, 06:17 PM
I have the Lee 356-125-2R mold and shot my first 10 rounds through my G26 and they did fine. I examined my barrel when I returned home and found no leading. I don't know what the deal is with the Glocks and cast boolits but there is a sticky on this.

JudgeBAC
02-02-2009, 07:13 PM
I too have a Glock 9mm (Model 19). The first decision your friend will have to make is whether to shoot lead in the factory barrel or use a replacement barrel.

Do a search on this forum for Glock and lead and you will see voluminous discussions and arguments about this issue.

Personally, I really could not determine who was right or wrong so I decided to err on the cautious side and purchased a Storm Lake replacement barrel. Then the fun really began.

In my 30 plus year reloading career, I had never loaded any 9mm and soon discovered this is a round that requires great care and attention to detail. This is a small case and pressures will wildly escalate the deeper you seat the bullet. Somewhere on this forum I found the following information:

"Some 9mm barrels have very short leades and don't like bullets with parallel sides sticking out of the case very far. With the RN you mentioned, that may or may not be a problem depending on bullet design. I had one barrel that would not chamber these rounds with the SWC bullet. Also, the diameter of your chamber may not be sufficient to handle the diameter of the loaded rounds. vYou may have to spec the sized diameter as 0.356 instead of the more common 0.357 or 0.358 inches.

What you need to do is pick the bullet you want to work with and get the dimensions off it. You will need the OD, the overall length of the bullet and the seating depth you will use. Make up some dummy rounds to see if your gun will feed and chamber the loaded rounds and get the OAL for the assembled cartridge. With that info, it is possible to run QL to come up with a couple of powders that might work for you."

I apologize for not giving the author of this information credit, but I forgot to copy the name of the poster. In any event, this is very sound advice. I have dealt with the same issues of seating depth and bullet diameter. In my particular case, my Storm Lake barrel has a very short leade to the point that I have to seat the bullet very short so that it will chamber and headspace on the case mouth and not the shoulder of the bullet. You must therefore be very careful and start with the minimum starting load and check for pressure signs. If you have access to a chronograph, use it and watch for excessive velocities.

So far I have tried an LBT mold which throws a 125 gr. TC bullet, the Lyman 356420 and the lyman round nose bullet. I'm still in the early stages of experimenting with bullet diameter and overall length. I have discovered one constant that applies to my particular barrel. Due to the short leade I must seat bullets so that the parallel sides are slightly below the case mouth. This way the bullet does not contact the rifling and the case headspaces on the mouth. This does however cut into the powder space and you must be extremely careful in load development to avoid excessive pressures.

Good luck, I hope some of this information is helpful.

seabat0603
02-02-2009, 07:41 PM
I have my neighbors gun in my hand. It's a model 17. Any other helpful comments on bullet style for this gun are welcome.-seabat0603

ddeaton
02-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I have my neighbors gun in my hand. It's a model 17. Any other helpful comments on bullet style for this gun are welcome.-seabat0603

I have a 17 and it is hard to find anything it wont eat.

Jimlakeside
02-03-2009, 10:09 AM
I have two Glock 34s in 9MM. I cast and shoot almost exclusively the Lyman 147 grain bullet. I am very happy with the bullet. One of my G34s still has the factory barrel and has never had a factory round through it. After about 5 or 600 rounds of cast bullets I get some slight leading at he beginning of the barrel which comes out easily with a little scrubbing. I have a Lone Wolf barrel in my other Glock which has never leaded. I have experimented with several different bullet designs and have not found any bullet that will not feed into my Glock if properly made. I don't think bullet design will be a big issue with your friend's Glock. Overall I would recommend an after market barrel if you are going to shoot cast bullets.

robertbank
02-03-2009, 02:37 PM
Just a piece oif advice. Once you settle on a mould get at least a four cavity. It sure speeds up casting for handguns and your friend will go through a ton of bullets.

Take Care

Bob
ps I cast the Saeco 124gr truncated cone that works well in all my 9MM guns. I size them .357. No leading using Felix soft lube.

seabat0603
02-03-2009, 02:46 PM
Thanks guys for your responses. -seabat0603

02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
JIMLAKESIDE what do your lyman 147 gr rn fp BB bullets way? i cast hard lead but mine come out 155 gr. i like the bb but since it is one of the biggest i have sean , i thought about cutting the mold down too just a slight bb. what do you think? saeco makes a 145 gr rn bb that might make a good gb mold.

Jimlakeside
02-03-2009, 06:12 PM
From 153.9 to 154.5 gr. They always come out heavier than 147, but they shoot great. I am using 3.9 grains of Vihtavuori N340, Wolf primers. They shoot great in my Glocks and my wife's Wilson Combat and Kimber. I have used as little as 3.5 grains of powder, but not all cycled completely, so I stepped up the power.

02-06-2009, 04:39 PM
what size are you sizing your 9mm?

copdills
02-06-2009, 08:21 PM
I have uued the Lee 124 tc 9mm works great

trickyasafox
02-06-2009, 08:30 PM
TC bullets are usually great feeders in glocks- or at least in the ones I've used. the lee 120gr TC is easy on your lead stores and should work fine. They shoot well out of our G17.

monadnock#5
02-06-2009, 11:07 PM
The newer Lyman manuals list the OAL for each cast boolit design and cartridge listed in the books. I can't speak highly enough of the information they provide. Very good stuff. It took all the mystery out of loading high risk rounds like the 9mm. Lyman books (later editions) and moulds are to me well worth the money spent.