PDA

View Full Version : Colt positive police vs Smith model 10

12-09-2022, 09:52 AM
I ran into a windfall of reloading supplies for 38 special. I currently don't own one but have been kicking a lot of tires so to say. Anyway I like the classic look of the colt positive police and the Smith.
My intended purposes would be a range gun with non +P loads.
In idle discussions at the range with the usual suspects one causally suggested that in regards to both guns the Colt might be more difficult to get parts for in the event of a repair and the colt would not stand up to a steady diet of regular use as well as the Smith.

Is there any truth to that?

I've been looking at example of both guns in the $500-$600 range.

Many thanks for your insights

Sasquatch-1
12-09-2022, 10:11 AM
A colt will definitely cost you more than a Smith. I think the Smith is much more robust than the Colt. When looking for the Smith remember, the M64 is the same weapon although it is Stainless Steel.

If you plan on putting a steady diet of +P through it why not just get a .357?

12-09-2022, 10:25 AM
Thanks for the info.
I'm looking to use a steady diet of non +P loads.

Sasquatch-1
12-09-2022, 10:33 AM
Sorry I mis read. Check your local gun stores. They still get Police turn-ins occasionally.

Shawlerbrook
12-09-2022, 10:55 AM
Both are quality guns when both Colt and S&W were state of the art. The S&W is a little more robust( I actually own both, Utica, NY PD trade-ins). I wouldn’t hesitate on either and would snatch the first good deal. And I would worry about parts as it probably wouldn’t be necessary.

rintinglen
12-09-2022, 11:36 AM
For moderate use, say 3,000- 5,000 rounds of standard 38 stuff, you pays your money and you take your choice. If you expect to run your round count into the high thousands, then a S&W is the better choice. Colts do wear more rapidly (or at least show the effects of wear more quickly.) Also, I doubt that there are 10 gunsmiths left in the whole country who can really work on the action of a v-spring colt, while any guy or gal who hangs out a shingle with the word "gunsmith" on it should be able to work on a Smith. Finally, you usually get a better, factory, double-action trigger pull on a Smith, though single action is where the Colt shines.

One thing I have noticed is that you are more likely to find a Smith that has been abused than a Colt. Now whether that is because a Smith can stand being used as a club better so repairs are delayed longer or because Colts were generally privately owned and treated a little better, I can't say. But it is something I noticed back in the 80's and 90's when revolvers were being traded in by the 100,000s for wonder 9's.

I personally prefer the lighter weight of the Police Positive for carry purposes, but the S&W has more accessories readily available. For a range gun, I'd look for a model 15 or 67, because I like adjustable sights, but I'd be content if all I had was a M&P.

Fortunately, I already have examples of each, plus a couple of the larger framed Official Police.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-09-2022, 11:48 AM
I own both, and for everything except concealment I'd give the nod to the Smith. The Colt Police Positive is smaller and lighter.

Good revolver 'smiths are rapidly vanishing. Parts for both are available, but much more so for the Smith, and Colts are more difficult to work on.

Because both have a blade front sight and notched frame rear sight I'd much prefer a S&W Model 15, if targets are the goal.

DG

Wayne Dobbs
12-09-2022, 11:56 AM
First of all, I'm shocked, I say SHOCKED, that you've confessed to not owning a .38 Special! I love that cartridge more than any other, rifles included. Reloading is easy, as inexpensive as the times allow and great results are the norm. If you haven't already done so, look at Outpost75's writings here on this forum and take heed. He's also got a ton of information on .38 Special at: https://hensleygibbs.com/edharris/backcreekdiary.htm

You've had some good input on Colt vs. S&W. I'd agree that both are great choices and I own examples of both. I have to say that I prefer S&W, adjustable sighted K-frames, which lands you on Model 15 or Model 67. Both are great, as are Model 14s if you can find one and then the Model 10/64. Have a great time and let us know how this works out for you!

MostlyLeverGuns
12-09-2022, 01:14 PM
The S&W is more durable, easier to tune as far as trigger and action, parts are easier to find and the same basic gun is still in production. Many decent gunsmith's can work on an S&W, few know what to do with a Colt DA.

12-09-2022, 01:31 PM
Agree w/ the above. My department issued Colt's for awhile and Smith Mod 10's. Eventually the department switched over to Smith's only. The guys who had to turn in their Colt PP's hated to because the Colts were so much lighter and more comfortable to carry. It was a good decision, however, as the Colts malfunctioned much more, than the Smith's, because of their delicate nature. The model 10's were a true work horse and gave more reliable performance. An older Smith in good shape is a pure joy to shoot.

schutzen-jager
12-09-2022, 01:41 PM
Colt is noted for going out of time, few experienced smith's, + expensive, hard to find parts - sold my last Colt, but still have 6 S&W's -

MT Gianni
12-09-2022, 01:49 PM
Colts are wonderful pistols as are the Smith K frames. I cannot see the sights well on a Police Positive finding them too small for 60+ year old eyes. If I were looking I would look for a model 15 as stated above. Ruger Sp 101's are also good shooters. I would consider a 5 shot 3" J frame model 36 or 60 if I found one. I shoot the 3" much better than the 2".

downzero
12-09-2022, 02:03 PM
FWIW, I love revolvers but I would not pay $600 for a Model 10; they are literally the most produced handgun in the history of handguns. I would look for a magnum S&W K frame if you have to pay that much and leave the basic .38s to someone else. I may be biased though, because before all this madness I paid about $600 for my Model 66. At the $400 price point my position would be different and like others, I shoot a lot of .38 special 125 grain lee RNFPs.

Walks
12-09-2022, 02:10 PM
Colt Police Positives are smaller frames then the Smith & Wesson K Frame which is the basis for the Model 10, 15 & 67 .38Spl and 19 , 66 .357Mag revolvers.
The Colt Official Police is a larger frame and more comparable to the S&W M10. Post WW2 OP's will stand std .38Spl loads forever.

The Police Positive was made in 2 frame sizes; the Police Positive, chambered in .32S&W Long and .38Smith&Wesson. And the Police Positive Special, which has a longer frame to accommodate the longer .38SPECIAL cartridge.

As commented above the Smith & Wesson would be a better choice.

Outpost75
12-09-2022, 02:14 PM
On the S&W Model 10 look for an engineering change 10-5 or later.

The 10-8s are some of the best made when they were still the duty gun of choice.

El Bibliotecario
12-09-2022, 04:09 PM
I concur with those favoring a S&W. As for "get a .357!" this is like telling someone shopping for a pickup truck to get a 2 1/2 ton 6x6 because they can carry more. Someone smarter than me once pointed out that the introduction of the .357 did not make the .38 Special less powerful. This is especially true for a handloader, who has a fantastic range of options. I concur with those who suggest considering an adjustable sight revolver such as the Model 14, 15, or 67.

tazman
12-09-2022, 05:06 PM
I can't speak to the qualities of a Colt revolver. I haven't owned one for nearly 50 years. What I can say, is the S&W revolvers I own are outstanding. I have one that is older than I am and several others that are nearly so. I have owned some of the newer revolvers and they are equally good shooters as the older ones.
I currently have K frame and J frame revolvers. All of them shoot outstanding. In the hands of a top level shooter, they will do whatever you want them to.
The round counts on the two that I use most are somewhere over 10,000 rounds each. No issues that I can tell.

practical_man
12-11-2022, 09:18 PM
On the S&W Model 10 look for an engineering change 10-5 or later.

The 10-8s are some of the best made when they were still the duty gun of choice.

Outpost 75 offers good advice.

I’m a smith man myself, tho there might be a police positive or two in the collection. The PP is more pleasant to carry than the K frame. I shoot the K frames much better.

Model 10 and 64 are fixed sight service revolvers (blue and stainless respectively). Available i. 3, 4,5, and 6 inch barrels.
Model 14 is the 6” target gun. Adjustable sights and a joy to shoot.
Model 15 and 65 are adjustable aight versions of the 10 and 15. Superb utility guns.
Then there is the elusive Model 12 airweight. Great for carry but doesn’t care for stout loads.

rintinglen
12-12-2022, 01:22 AM
Actually, the 67 is the stainless equivalent of the Model 15--the M-65 is a 357, but otherwise a near dead ringer for the heavy barrel M&P M-10.

samari46
12-12-2022, 01:38 AM
Have a S&W model 10 with the heavy barrel and a S&W model 15 with adjustable sights. Have had the model 10 for about 29 years and the model 15 for about 15 years. Naturally shoot the model 15 better. But definitely not any for sale list any time soon. Frank

georgerkahn
12-12-2022, 07:42 AM
I ran into a windfall of reloading supplies for 38 special. I currently don't own one but have been kicking a lot of tires so to say. Anyway I like the classic look of the colt positive police and the Smith.
In idle discussions at the range with the usual suspects one causally suggested that in regards to both guns the Colt might be more difficult to get parts for in the event of a repair and the colt would not stand up to a steady diet of regular use as well as the Smith.

My apologies if, well, not applicable to your choices ;) -- but I have a Colt Positive Police .38 -- but it is NOT the .38 S&W Special. Instead, it is chambered for the .38 S&W -- the thirty-eight Smith & Wesson! Bearing a 670xxx serial number, it was made in 1955. Again, my apologies if not applicable -- but I reckoned a post may be in order should, while doubtful, you may not have ascertained the Colt revolver is in fact chambered for the Smith & Wesson .38 Special.
geo

Bigslug
12-12-2022, 10:16 AM
The Smith is going to be the better choice logistically for repairs - more guns out there; generally fewer variations on parts within the subtypes; more folks that know how to work on them.

The later K-frame .357's - the 13 and 65 for the blue and stainless fixed sights, or the 19 and 66 for adjustable - would be good choices that weren't really up for a lot of the hot stuff, but if still tight and in time, would be dandy .38 Special playtoys.

While I totally understand, approve, and have succumbed to vintage revolver lust, if you're looking for a day-in, day-out range shooter for a lot of trigger reps regardless of power level, consider a Ruger GP-100, which is about as good a working DA revolver as has ever been built IMO. Properly broken in, they're just as smooth to run as the classics, are built for steady use with full-tilt .357, and are currently creeping up on 40 years of constant production with the same spec parts and a company that typically fixes them for free or very cheap with few questions asked.

12-12-2022, 09:30 PM
Many thanks to all for the valuable feedback
I'm leaning toward the following
1) Smith model 14
2) Model 15
3) Model 10
4) Colt positive police- fired one that a friend's father owned a lot growing up and can't let go

In regards to the GP100 , I owned one and foolishly parted ways with it after burning many pounds of bulleyes.
Though highly of it but old guns just move me.
I hunt birds with an LC Smith shotgun and Deer with a 7x57 !

I will keep you updated as to the revolver hunt.
Many thanks

smkummer
12-12-2022, 10:36 PM
If the police positive special is 1966 or later, you have a vast amount of grip options for comfort on the somewhat small revolver. The heavier barrel model of 1977-79 helps in the recoil department.

When ever this comparison comes up, it’s important to understand that the S&W is in the middle frame size between the smaller police positive special and the larger official police. I just shot part of my qualification course with an official police MKIII. Loved it.

shooting on a shoestring
12-13-2022, 09:13 AM

“I'm leaning toward the following
1) Smith model 14
2) Model 15
3) Model 10
4) Colt positive police- fired one that a friend's father owned a lot growing up and can't let go”

Wow! That’s a NICE shopping list!

I own a Colt Police Positive Special in 38 Special (not the Police Positive in 38 S&W as Georgerkahn pointed out above). I get your attraction to the Colt. That’s why I bought mine when I already had S&Ws and a GP100. The Colt PPS gets shot less and worked on more than any 38 Spl I have. But it’s a keeper. Not bc it’s a great gun but bc I like it.

Let me suggest you invert that shopping list and chase the Colt first. You obviously don’t need this as a tool but want it as a toy. Satisfy your heart. You’ll be happy.

There’ll be plenty of S&W K-frames cross your path later. Get the Colt, put a bow on it and have a Merry Christmas!

rintinglen
12-13-2022, 12:08 PM
I have to concur with the emotions expressed by the shoestring shooter. I have many guns, but my favorites have rampant colts on them.

Two Police Positive Specials, a Detective Special and a 1950 Official Police. Not to mention the ones in my Avatar.

racepres
12-13-2022, 01:00 PM
I own a Colt Police Positive Special in 38 Special (not the Police Positive in 38 S&W as Georgerkahn pointed out above). I get your attraction to the Colt. That’s why I bought mine when I already had S&Ws and a GP100. The Colt PPS gets shot less and worked on more than any 38 Spl I have. But it’s a keeper. Not bc it’s a great gun but bc I like it.

Let me suggest you invert that shopping list and chase the Colt first. You obviously don’t need this as a tool but want it as a toy. Satisfy your heart. You’ll be happy.

There’ll be plenty of S&W K-frames cross your path later. Get the Colt, put a bow on it and have a Merry Christmas!
I agree.. couple years ago...I had the same goal, and a set Budget.. was serious about an Official Police...but Intended to Shoot it...alot
Ended up with an S series M&P hand ejector.. sweet as all get out, matching grips .. the whole Banana...
Not Sad with my choice...but, For as much as I ended up shooting it (component scarcity has slowed me considerably) in retrospect, I would have been at least as Happy with the Colt.
So, If yer heart is Leaning to Colt...I say you should Go That Way!!
Later now...gonna go Shoot that Hand Ejector Now!!!!

John Guedry
12-14-2022, 01:10 PM
I have a model 10 and a model 15. Love shooting both, I don't ever remember shooting any Colts,didn't know anybody who owned any.

gwpercle
12-14-2022, 03:11 PM
I inherited a Colt Police Positive Special in 38 Special .
It has a smaller frame than the S&W model 10 and overall is a lighter more petite revolver .
If I had to carry one all day and shoot it little the Colt would get the nod ...
but for a shooter I would go with the larger S&W "K" frame .
I would also think model 10 parts would be much more available .
I'm not that impressed with the Colt Police Positive Special ... I would take a S&W model 10 any day .
Gary

racepres
12-14-2022, 04:24 PM
I have a model 10 and a model 15. Love shooting both, I don't ever remember shooting any Colts,didn't know anybody who owned any.

Yes...indeed, had friends with Anaconda's and a python...Could Not warm up to them..Official Police...Only handled never pulled trigger, Police Positive??? Never had one in my Hand!!
Betting I would like one in .32 S&W Long tho!!!!!

fatelk
12-14-2022, 07:29 PM
I really like the old K-frames. You should be able to find some really nice in your price range.

I got on a K-frame kick, and within the last several years I've picked up several, including a couple of foreign police surplus Model 10s, not pretty but mechanically excellent, $230 each, and a nice Model 19 at the local gun shop for $400. Then there was a heavy barrel Model 10 with target sights at a gun show for $300. And then the Model 28 (sorry, N-frame) I found at another show for $450. It's amazing the deals that pop up when I'm not looking.

Texas by God
12-14-2022, 10:44 PM
Dainty and delicate and accurate is how I remember the .32 New Police Positive and the two Police Positive Specials that I had.
One was cut down to Detective Special length and had endshake..
I like S&W better. Both J and K frames.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Jtarm
12-15-2022, 05:59 PM
What I haven’t seen mentioned is Colt had pretty much lost the LEO revolver market by the time of the Great Migration.

A lot more agencies were issuing S&Ws, even into the 2000s. So a LEO trade-in S&W would probably be much more recent manufacture than a Colt PP.

If it were me, I’d be looking for a Ruger Service Six. But then I’ve got plenty of S&W K-frames plus a Colt OM.

racepres
12-15-2022, 09:09 PM
What I haven’t seen mentioned is Colt had pretty much lost the LEO revolver market by the time of the Great Migration.

A lot more agencies were issuing S&Ws, even into the 2000s. So a LEO trade-in S&W would probably be much more recent manufacture than a Colt PP.

If it were me, I’d be looking for a Ruger Service Six. But then I’ve got plenty of S&W K-frames plus a Colt OM.
+100...on the Ruger Security Six...Or Speed Six... Tough as a Ten Inch Tiger Turd!!!

beemer
12-15-2022, 11:39 PM
I'm kinda partial to the Ruger Six series, have several. I like the idea of a 357 mag even for 38 special, just gives more more options. I have a 4' Security Six that developed a good bit of end play but it took 43 years to do it. I shimmed the cylinder, maybe not the best fix but it will probably out last me.

I recently sold a Colt Police Positive Special in 32 Colt NP. It was mechanically sound but had been refinished. It was fun to shoot but a good friend wanted it more than I did. I have seen several in 38 special that had been shot to pieces, just not sure how well they hold up.

salvadore
12-16-2022, 12:40 AM
k frames are tougher and easier to tune. and d frame colts cause me to have a goofy smile on my face when shooting. Learning how to stretch a hand can remedy a lot of colt timing problems.

racepres
12-16-2022, 10:25 AM
I'm kinda partial to the Ruger Six series, have several. I like the idea of a 357 mag even for 38 special, just gives more more options. I have a 4' Security Six that developed a good bit of end play but it took 43 years to do it. I shimmed the cylinder, maybe not the best fix but it will probably out last me.

I recently sold a Colt Police Positive Special in 32 Colt NP. It was mechanically sound but had been refinished. It was fun to shoot but a good friend wanted it more than I did. I have seen several in 38 special that had been shot to pieces, just not sure how well they hold up.

Just a Note...there were "double 6's" that were offered in 38 Only...experienced all of One!!!

one-eyed fat man
12-16-2022, 11:07 AM
I suppose if you can find a Model 10-6 police tun in for 300 bucks or so, I'd jump on it. When I saw this orphan Police Positive Special lurking under glass shelves full of plastic pistols for the same kind of money, I wasn't going to pass it up. Besides, my sweetie found the 3 inch S&W 36 in the safe and felt that, except for cleaning, it should be hers. The Colt is from 1915 and shoots just fine.

308147 308148

shooting on a shoestring
12-16-2022, 07:32 PM
Ohhhh yessss.
3” 38’s are nice!
That 3” Model 36 is super sweet. Your wife obviously knows a good thing when she see it!
I think you’ll be able to get by with the old Colt. I’ll bet it still works.

shooting on a shoestring
12-17-2022, 10:36 AM
Here’s my Smith and Wesson M&P 38 (same frame later re-named K-frame when the M&P 38 was re-named Model 10), Colt Police Positive Special and a 3” Model 36. All 38 Special of course. The M&P and the Colt PPS are both 4” guns.

shooting on a shoestring
12-17-2022, 10:40 AM
Here’s the 4” Colt PPS on top of the the 4” M&P.

I lined up the triggers and took the photos from slightly different angles to show the slight differences in size and shape.

steveu
12-17-2022, 11:42 AM
I have a 10-6 with target grips. I use 158’s with 3.8 gr of BE. It shoots great and poi is poa at 25 yards.

murf205
12-17-2022, 11:46 AM
"It's amazing the deals that pop up when I'm not looking." fatelk, this applies to me when I'm broke which happens all too often!

12-25-2022, 11:15 AM
Merry Christmas to all!
The holiday travels will bring me into 2 small gun shops that normally have a great selection.
I will keep you updated

rintinglen
12-26-2022, 10:47 AM
one of my favorite winter guns: longer barrel gives better ballistics, better sight picture. The Galco rig is accessible when sitting down. The nickel finish says "He's got a gun" loud and clear if I have to pull it. And it's light weight makes carrying it a breeze.

deltaenterprizes
12-26-2022, 11:11 AM
I love my Smiths!
I had a Colt Trooper and sold it to get a S&W 686 and I didn’t regret it!

robertbank
12-27-2022, 02:57 AM
Delete post.

oscarflytyer
12-27-2022, 03:18 AM
"Is there any truth to that?" YES

Smiths tend to lend themselves to remove/replacement parts - back ~100 yrs. Colts tend to be more 'hand-fitted' parts, that old. I will not hesitate to buy a 100 year old Smith that may need parts/OUT OF TIME/Lock Up, if price is right accordingly. While I will buy an old Colt that may need SIMPLE parts, I won't touch one that is anywhere near OUT OF TIME/Lock Up!

A Colt firing pin, etc, is no big deal. Other hand fitted parts that might be required to 'get it back in time' are a whole 'nother issue. A Smith, not so much/remove/replace.

FISH4BUGS
12-27-2022, 10:53 AM

I own and shoot both. The Colt is a bit smaller, but in my humble opinion, choose which one feels better in your hand.