PDA

View Full Version : New to the world of Boolits, equipment to get started.

Agent Ronin
02-02-2009, 03:20 PM
Greetings all, i've been lurking around here for a bit to learn about casting boolits. I think im going to do it, after all i've got so much money invested into reloading equipment, whats another 1,000$ lol.

Here is what im thinking of equipment wise to get me started based on i typically buy the good stuff once rather than upgrading later.

- Star Lube-sizer (based on the praise i read here)
- RCBS Pro-Melt
- a smelter of some kind, probably gonna go with a 50,000+ BTU gas burner and a cast iron cauldron :)
- Molds, well i havent figure that one out yet...

and material wise, i'm having my dad look into getting lead from where he works. (A rather large industrial battery manufacturer, nothing like getting virgin lead for market price :mrgreen:

As for molds, i want to cast some rifle bullets but mostly pistol (9mm, 40S&W, 45ACP, 357mag, 44mag) and im not sure what brands i should look into / avoid.

SO let me have it!

Wayne Smith
02-02-2009, 05:23 PM
Go with the Star only if you plan to do large numbers of boolits with the same lube. I have a Lyman and an RCBS, one for smokeless high speed lube and one for pistol/BP lube. I got mine off of eBay at good prices. From the prices I have seen, I wouldn't want to pay for two Stars for the volume I do.

2muchstuf
02-02-2009, 05:59 PM
Welcome Agent R
I'm with Wayne on the star. But I only shoot a few k a year.
Sounds like you will be able to get by with just one lube for what you want to do.
I do it all in one 450, not as fast as a star but it gets er done.

Agent Ronin
02-02-2009, 06:32 PM
Welcome Agent R
I'm with Wayne on the star. But I only shoot a few k a year.
Sounds like you will be able to get by with just one lube for what you want to do.
I do it all in one 450, not as fast as a star but it gets er done.

Yea i might go with a Lyman or RCBS instead after looking at the prices of the dies for the Star. I havent heard anybody say anything about the SAECO lubesizer any insights about that one?

I dont know a lot about lubes yet, but from what i gather i would be using a hard lube for everything.

badgeredd
02-02-2009, 07:42 PM
Yea i might go with a Lyman or RCBS instead after looking at the prices of the dies for the Star. I havent heard anybody say anything about the SAECO lubesizer any insights about that one?

I dont know a lot about lubes yet, but from what i gather i would be using a hard lube for everything.

For lube, you might want to check out Lars White Label Lubes.

As for using one lube, I'm not as knowledgeable as many here, but I'd bet you'll want 2, one for pistols and one for rifles. The whole lube thing is a thread unto itself in the Stickies.

Welcome aboard and have fun with it. I am!!!!!!!:castmine:

azrednek
02-02-2009, 07:51 PM
If you decide against the Star luber get the RCBS. About the only difference between the RCBS and Lyman is RCBS's warranty. On two occasions I've needed parts for my RCBS Lubematic. Both times the parts were shipped no charge. If you do have the spare change though go with the Star. Not that there is anything wrong with my RCBS, just my 20/20 hindsight tells me I should have got the Star before I retired and started living on a budget.

I've found buying molds is exactly like buying tires. You get exactly what you pay for. Anything I'm going to be shooting often I'll invest into Lyman, RCBS and my favorite Saeco. For something I rarely shoot I buy Lee or look for deals on any brand of used.