PDA

View Full Version : Renewing carry permit

375supermag
12-05-2022, 02:41 PM
Hi...
After submitting my carry permit form by mail last week, I received an email that I had been approved for renewal.
Normally this requires me to travel to the county seat and go into the judicial center where the county sheriff office is located.
However, apparently the county has set up a satellite facility well outside the city limits where renewals can be done for those permit holders that would like to avoid the city.
There is an ongoing drug turf war in York, Pa. with regular shootings and murders on an almost daily basis, so I was quite happy to avoid going into the city to renew my permit.
The sheriff deputies at the satellite facility seemed very happy to be posted there on a monthly rotation basis and were very professional and congenial.

I was happy not to have to drive into the city, find a parking place and then walk to the judicial center unarmed as there are no firearms permitted in the judicial center.
Nice to avoid the risk of being carjacked or having my vehicle vandalized or being caught in a crossfire between rival drug gangs.
And, yes...all of those things have happened to people in the last month along with multiple homes and vehicles being struck by gunfire many times in broad daylight.
This drug turf war has been going on for several years. The police and city officials seem unable or unwilling to stop the gangs and the violence. Sometimes it seems like they are ignoring it. Nobody in the community seems to be willing to stand up against the criminal element including city officials, community and religious leaders or even the police. A person might suspect that they fear reprisals from the gangs if they speak out too loudly. A suspicious minded person such as myself might be led to believe that somebody or maybe many somebody's are being paid off.

As for myself, I live well out in the semi rural part of the county and have no need to travel to the county seat now that my carry permit can be renewed at the relatively new satellite facility.

Handloader109
12-05-2022, 02:49 PM
Good for you, sad for the country. Had a double shooting last week about 5 miles from where I was raised. 16 and a 19yr old in a car. And drugs are 90% of the issue.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

stubshaft
12-05-2022, 03:41 PM
Good to hear. In my neck of the woods, the polytishens and the local gestapo will ONLY accept completed forms for CCW. The forms have to have the name of the NRA Certified instructor that certified you. The only problem is that the City and County have NOT certified ANY instructors and will not accept certifications from anywhere else! I already have a CCW from another State but the local goobermint will not recognize it.

deltaenterprizes
12-05-2022, 06:58 PM
Good to hear. In my neck of the woods, the polytishens and the local gestapo will ONLY accept completed forms for CCW. The forms have to have the name of the NRA Certified instructor that certified you. The only problem is that the City and County have NOT certified ANY instructors and will not accept certifications from anywhere else! I already have a CCW from another State but the local goobermint will not recognize it.

What state is this?

Hossfly
12-05-2022, 07:06 PM
Sounds like Hawaii

Shawlerbrook
12-05-2022, 07:10 PM
And they wonder why law abiding citizens want to carry a gun. We are becoming like a Third World country.

Winger Ed.
12-05-2022, 07:35 PM
As Bill Clinton would say, "I feel your pain".

Here, you take the one day course, fill out the application when you're done, and they send it to Austin.

A few days later, you get your license in the mail and it's good for four years. They use the picture off your driver's license.
For renewal, the state mails you a bill, you write a check & return it. A few days later, you get your new 4 year license.
After 10 years, you need to requalify at a certified range, but not take the class room part again.

BLAHUT
12-05-2022, 08:42 PM
Hi...
After submitting my carry permit form by mail last week, I received an email that I had been approved for renewal.
Normally this requires me to travel to the county seat and go into the judicial center where the county sheriff office is located.
However, apparently the county has set up a satellite facility well outside the city limits where renewals can be done for those permit holders that would like to avoid the city.
There is an ongoing drug turf war in York, Pa. with regular shootings and murders on an almost daily basis, so I was quite happy to avoid going into the city to renew my permit.
The sheriff deputies at the satellite facility seemed very happy to be posted there on a monthly rotation basis and were very professional and congenial.

I was happy not to have to drive into the city, find a parking place and then walk to the judicial center unarmed as there are no firearms permitted in the judicial center.
Nice to avoid the risk of being carjacked or having my vehicle vandalized or being caught in a crossfire between rival drug gangs.
And, yes...all of those things have happened to people in the last month along with multiple homes and vehicles being struck by gunfire many times in broad daylight.
This drug turf war has been going on for several years. The police and city officials seem unable or unwilling to stop the gangs and the violence. Sometimes it seems like they are ignoring it. Nobody in the community seems to be willing to stand up against the criminal element including city officials, community and religious leaders or even the police. A person might suspect that they fear reprisals from the gangs if they speak out too loudly. A suspicious minded person such as myself might be led to believe that somebody or maybe many somebody's are being paid off.

As for myself, I live well out in the semi rural part of the county and have no need to travel to the county seat now that my carry permit can be renewed at the relatively new satellite facility.

Minneapolis, Minnesota, has gun fire every day and every night, with demorats in power, the crime element is rampant, has grown bolder by the day.
Defund the police is working ! Now if you have a problem call a Plumer ?? Cops don't seem to be in any hurry to answer any calls.... Now if a white shoots a black, brown, grat, pink, yellow, purple, that's news for 7 days Strate. Not even a mention if one of the black, brown, gray, pink, yellow, purple, green, shoots a white.....

atr
12-05-2022, 08:48 PM
drugs and gangs are a problem here too. our "leaders" don't have the balls to do what is necessary to clean up the town (seattle). the liberal "progressives" have taken over and the result has been a huge increase in shootings, drug crimes and stealing.

BLAHUT
12-05-2022, 08:51 PM
drugs and gangs are a problem here too. our "leaders" don't have the balls to do what is necessary to clean up the town (seattle). the liberal "progressives" have taken over and the result has been a huge increase in shootings, drug crimes and stealing.

Could it be, that it might be time again, for the people, to get a rope and find a tree ???

stubshaft
12-06-2022, 01:27 AM
Sounds like Hawaii

Exactly!

Fitz
12-06-2022, 02:01 AM
I renewed mine on line was completed and new card issued in about a 3week period but this is Oklahoma and we have Constitutional carry but I drive a Semi fuel tanker and cross state lines from time to time so the c/c permit comes in handy when pulled over for inspection out of state.

William Yanda
12-06-2022, 09:48 AM
As Bill Clinton would say, "I feel your pain".

Here, you take the one day course, fill out the application when you're done, and they send it to Austin.

A few days later, you get your license in the mail and it's good for four years. They use the picture off your driver's license.
For renewal, the state mails you a bill, you write a check & return it. A few days later, you get your new 4 year license.
After 10 years, you need to requalify at a certified range, but not take the class room part again.

In Hochul's New York, renewal was every 5 years, accomplished by an internet application, with no fee. Now it is every three years.

waksupi
12-06-2022, 12:31 PM
Permits are no longer needed here in Montana. I will keep mine current though, just to expedite buying guns and out of state travel.

steveu
12-06-2022, 01:54 PM
I did mine online for my third renewal for Texas.

FISH4BUGS
12-06-2022, 01:59 PM
Constitutional carry here in NH - but I renewed my permit anyway.

deltaenterprizes
12-06-2022, 02:59 PM

Google search turned up Level 1 training in Hawaii and they are NRA certified!

Froogal
12-06-2022, 05:03 PM
Permits not required to carry here in Iowa, but having one sure speeds up the process of buying.

Geezer in NH
12-06-2022, 05:18 PM
Yep, don't need one in NH but I keep renewing mine for all the other states that honor it. The last 2 renewals the Chief of PD brought to the house when ready. I think because he stops and has coffee with us as there is nowhere to get one after 6 o'clock near our town.

stubshaft
12-07-2022, 12:35 AM
Google search turned up Level 1 training in Hawaii and they are NRA certified!

The Honolulu Police Department does not "recognize" them as being a viable source of education. There ARE NRA certified instructors on the outer Islands of Maui and Hawaii, BUT HPD will NOT accept their credentials!

deltaenterprizes
12-07-2022, 07:44 AM
The Honolulu Police Department does not "recognize" them as being a viable source of education. There ARE NRA certified instructors on the outer Islands of Maui and Hawaii, BUT HPD will NOT accept their credentials!
Time to contact a gun rights organization and file a lawsuit against them!
The courts have to consider all gun control laws in historical perspective since the last Supreme Court decision.

375supermag
12-07-2022, 12:24 PM
Just a bit of a follow up on my permit renewal.
I have had my carry permit for decades. Pennsylvania does not require permit applicants to attend any type of formal training to get a carry permit. Pennsylvania is a shall issue state, so all that is required is that you submit an application and pass the background check.
The permit currently costs $20 and is good for five years.

As an addendum...last evening a young man was shot multiple times on one of tte streets in downtown York, Pa. Police report that he was shot multiple times and was targeted. Apparently, he died at the scene.

Newspaper reports this murder as the 21st in the city of York, Pa. this year.

Geezer in NH
12-07-2022, 06:42 PM
I love drug dealers killing each other. No loss to society there, it is when they do collateral damage that I feel sad.

Jeff Michel
12-07-2022, 06:52 PM
I've always had a problem with state or local governments charging you for your exercising your constitutional right. I sure am glad Ohio and West Virginia got rid of that nonsense.

thxmrgarand
12-09-2022, 02:03 PM
We've now long had constitutional carry in the 49th state, but I continue to renew my permit every 5 years. It used to cost something like $125 to renew but I think the last couple times it was either free or some nominal cost. This state continues to lose population, and by and large I would recommend it to anyone thinking of relocating from a Lower 48 state. I've been here 50 years now and the hunting and fishing is as good as when I got here. The internet, jet travel, health care technology and many other aspects of American life have all made any inconvenience derived from remoteness to pretty much go away. The state has no statewide sales or income tax but some of the cities have a sales tax. Yes, there are shortcomings in living here, and whether the advantages outweigh the disadvantages is of course a personal decision.