PDA

View Full Version : Son’s first buck!

Silvercreek Farmer
12-05-2022, 02:17 PM
My son got his first deer, a doe, last year and was really hoping for a buck this year. We figured this was our tenth trip out. Hunted one place (that has produced well in past years) 7 times with no luck. Finally worked out schedules to hunt my usual spot where we saw this guy a week before Thanksgiving. Saw him with a doe Sat night, but no shot through the brush. Got back in the stand yesterday afternoon. Had a small doe or button come up behind us, but it spooked when we tried to get into shooting position.

This guy finally popped out, perfectly broadside, in the last few minutes of light, at 30 yards. My son made the shot with a 30-06, Lee 170g RNFP 49.5 COWW/49.5 SOWW/1 pewter, powdercoated, over 21g of 2400. The buck made a nice jump and took off into the woods. We gave it a little while then started tracking. Picked up the blood trail fairly quickly, best we have ever had, only having to really search for a couple brief moments. Found a small chunk of lung at one point, always encouraging. The trail led us down by the river, and I started imagine hauling a wet deer up some very steep bank. But the trail turned and followed along the river. The landowner joined us right as we found quite a bit of blood. I knew we had to be close, and there he was, down in a 4 or 5 ft hole, but not in the river! My son climbed down and passed his head up to me and the landowner, and we were able use his convenient “handles” to pull him out without too much trouble.

All said, he probably made it 150 yards or so. Shot placement looked pretty good, but there were some stomach contents on the edge of the exit hole. Opened him up and the bullet appeared to have passed right between the liver and lungs, damaging both pretty well. The heart was also bruised. Not sure if he got the esophagus or very top of the stomach, but the cavity was slam full of acorns and leaves. Worst I have ever had. Spent a lot of time trimming off tainted meat and salvaging what rib meat we could. The rest of it was fine. Ate the heart and some burger for lunch today. All and all, a great hunt, amazing how much more fun tracking is when you have a nice blood trail. We have a beef steer ready for the freezer(s), so I don’t think I am going to hunt any more this year. It’ll be my first time in a over a decade without pulling the trigger on one, but I don’t feel shorted in the least!

Texas by God
12-05-2022, 02:47 PM
Way to go, young man.
The first buck is always remembered.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

marshall623
12-05-2022, 04:04 PM
Good shooting and a memory for a lifetime.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

shooter bob
12-05-2022, 05:31 PM
That’s an awesome hunt one I’m sure your son will remember forever.Its great hunting with family especially father and son. I have great memories hunting with my dad. He doesn’t hunt anymore but got his lifetime license. I’m trying to get him to go again hopefully next year. Tell the boy congratulations!!!!!

versa-06
12-05-2022, 05:58 PM
Good Show Gentlemen!!! & good story.

BLAHUT
12-05-2022, 06:03 PM
Very Nice Good you two could spend time together

lar45
12-05-2022, 07:13 PM
Great job and thanks for the story.

Beaverhunter2
12-06-2022, 12:42 AM
Congratulations to your son! Well done! I might have to try that load. Getting ready to start working on my '06.

John

sloughfoot
12-06-2022, 05:31 AM
Congratulations young man. You too dad!

pworley1
12-06-2022, 08:18 AM
Congratulations!

Wag
12-06-2022, 08:39 AM
That's outstanding. Congrats to you both!

--Wag--

Hickok
12-06-2022, 10:21 AM
Atta' boy!

A memory for life!

NSB
12-06-2022, 10:40 AM
The first one’s always special. Congrats!

Tripplebeards
12-10-2022, 10:13 AM
Should make a neat European mount tell him to get out the boiling pot!

Silvercreek Farmer
12-10-2022, 07:06 PM
Should make a neat European mount tell him to get out the boiling pot!

Done and done!

ETA: Well, of you open it, it is right side up, go figure!

Tripplebeards
12-12-2022, 07:01 PM
Did you save the nose pieces to glue back in? I started on my coyote and gun buck today. Slipped with my knife trying break out the ear drums. Cut my thumb to the bone. I froze the heads back up 95% cleaned. I finish tomorrow hopefully.

https://i.imgur.com/L4wO9Xv.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/2CkEiaK.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/l1EqJcY.jpg

Once I get them good and meat free I put them back in a fresh pot of hot water and then on low. I add over the counter hydrogen peroxide and some dish soap. I let it simmer for a few hours to half day. They come out bright white. Got a ways to go but got a good start before I stuck myself.

versa-06
12-12-2022, 07:13 PM
Ouch!!!