PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone experienced mice eating lubricant from cast bullets?

El Bibliotecario
12-01-2022, 03:44 PM
The message title pretty much says it all...

Winger Ed.
12-01-2022, 04:11 PM
I haven't had a problem with that, but I do store most of my stuff in ammo cans or a metal cabinet.

15meter
12-01-2022, 04:38 PM
Not on the bullet, but I had mice eat a bunch of wax. I was given 20-30 lbs. (or more) of old candles, unknown to me if they were paraffin or beeswax colored, un-colored. Melted them all down and poured them into bread pans to conserve space.

The mice munched on several of the big blocks of wax. Those mice have earned their wings.

I use it to flux the pot and make fire starters.

BLAHUT
12-01-2022, 05:36 PM
No But had them eat the green scented bar soap, irises spring.

Half Dog
12-01-2022, 05:43 PM
Well, I’ve had them eat poison so I guess anything is in their menu.

Dusty Bannister
12-01-2022, 06:07 PM
I have squirrels that like to nibble on lead ingots. Ouch!

CastingFool
12-01-2022, 06:40 PM
Mice chewed through the wires leading to the neutral safety switch on my truck. Fortunately, they chewed at a spot where I could splice the wires together relatively easy.

Texas by God
12-01-2022, 07:10 PM
Nope. They're fed too well otherwise in the barn.....

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

elmacgyver0
12-01-2022, 07:18 PM
Cats are the answer, but don't feed them too well.

uscra112
12-01-2022, 07:45 PM
I've had them eat oiled-foam air filters. Maybe they need a laxative?

There are 5 cats in this house, so my bullet lubes are safe.

HWooldridge
12-01-2022, 08:43 PM
Little fellers are gonna get lead poisoning if they keep chewing on boolits…

racepres
12-01-2022, 09:15 PM
No But had them eat the green scented bar soap, irises spring.
I too heard that Irish Spring soap repels mice... Nope... it attracted 'em to the point that I load the Traps with the stuff!!! Works better than peanuts!!! No Bull!!!
MothBalls is Still a Rodent Repellent... Even Skunks won't tolerate it...
Edit; I have my bitter half finally in the habit of putting repellent where it is needed...and Poison, where i don't mind attracting the Buggers... Outside, in the Barn... Double Bubble, bubble gum... All critters, from mice to Raccoons, (certainly ground hogs) love it ... Kills 'em !!!

megasupermagnum
12-01-2022, 09:26 PM
Not on a bullet yet, but they chewed through a plastic bag to eat the patches for a muzzleloader I had lubed with bear grease. There's no such thing as repelling mice. Moth balls may slow them, but they definitely don't keep them out of stuff long.

Recycled bullet
12-01-2022, 09:51 PM
Mice are stupid. Feed them the little green bricks of yummy flavored poison. Just drop little pieces in any mouse
ruuns you may find. Mice like to run along walls or under things. Putting the poison inside an old cardboard tube works well too. If you don't have poison it's time to make the spinning mountain dew in a mud bucket trap.

ascast
12-01-2022, 10:09 PM
ox yoke (?) prelubed black powder wads. I got a big bunch on a clearance sale. mice or red squirrels wiped them out. nice wintergreen smell

El Bibliotecario
12-01-2022, 11:02 PM
Recently I sized and lubricated some bullets which I left in an open pan in my garage loading area to use in the next few days. Yesterday when I began loading them, I noticed an inordinate number were missing part of their lubricant. I knew that if I had done a poor job lubricating, I would have noticed it. Then I noticed a bit of rodent excreta next to the bullets.

Its not a big issue, in that I normally store bullets in containers, and have never had this happen before. I don't want to kill the little guys and my cats would just stare at me, then tell me to call an exterminator.

Siskiwit
12-01-2022, 11:21 PM
Take a couple of kernels f dried corn and super glue them to the mouse trap trigger. I’ve had traps in my garage with the same kernels on them for years

racepres
12-02-2022, 12:35 AM
Take a couple of kernels f dried corn and super glue them to the mouse trap trigger. I’ve had traps in my garage with the same kernels on them for years

Love it.... Next!!!!

BTW

There's no such thing as repelling mice. Moth balls may slow them, but they definitely don't keep them out of stuff long.
One Must replace/rejuvenate the moth balls fairly often, Even stepping on them, breaking them.. works... certainly Not, a Set and forget proposition.. Due Vigilance...

Kenstone
12-02-2022, 01:29 AM
Another
No But, I had squirrels bend up and chew on the lead flashing around the vent pipes on my roof.
they're gone now though,
:)

GregLaROCHE
12-02-2022, 05:08 AM
They got into my beeswax once. I now constantly have poison packets in all the corners and holes where the used to come in. No more problems.

William Yanda
12-02-2022, 08:32 AM
If you're going to feed them, feed them Decon.

Wag
12-02-2022, 08:34 AM
I have a little 9 pound chihuahua-****zu mix that LOVES to hunt mice so I don't have any issues here.

What's funny is to take her to Home Depot or Lowes and watch her hunt their mice. She has a great sniffer and knows they're there and goes crazy for them every time.

--Wag--

William Yanda
12-02-2022, 08:35 AM
Another
No But, I had squirrels bend up and chew on the lead flashing around the vent pipes on my roof.
they're gone now though,
:)

The vent pipes or the squirrels?

Kenstone
12-02-2022, 01:16 PM
The vent pipes or the squirrels?

Both, I have moved...
Thanks for asking though,
8-)

Walter Laich
12-02-2022, 06:04 PM
our possum, Bob, chowed down on some lube sticks before we started feeding him

he gets dry dog food and a few grapes.

rooms with the two outdoor cats, Marmalade and Miss Gray, in the garage when temp drops.

No mice, no bugs and Bob is cute in an ugly way

GregLaROCHE
12-02-2022, 11:36 PM
I have a little 9 pound chihuahua-****zu mix that LOVES to hunt mice so I don't have any issues here.

What's funny is to take her to Home Depot or Lowes and watch her hunt their mice. She has a great sniffer and knows they're there and goes crazy for them every time.

--Wag--

Maybe I should trade in all our cats for a chihuahua. They never did anything about my mouse and rat problems. Only poison works for me now. However, I once rented a house with a severe mouse problem. I adopted a cat and the first day I saw her eating one. A week later no more mouse problems. I think my wife spoils our cats with too much food now.

Wag
12-04-2022, 10:16 AM
Maybe I should trade in all our cats for a chihuahua. They never did anything about my mouse and rat problems. Only poison works for me now. However, I once rented a house with a severe mouse problem. I adopted a cat and the first day I saw her eating one. A week later no more mouse problems. I think my wife spoils our cats with too much food now.

I have three other chihuahuas who couldn't care less about mice so YMMV. Little Bella loves 'em, though. I found her playing with one in the yard one day, having the time of her life with a mouse that she tortured to death. One of the other little dogs is almost 100% chihuahua and loves to catch sparrows but he's not a great hunter. In eight or so years, he's caught two and stole one from a hawk one day, with Bella's help, of course.

And yes, if you overfeed cats, they get lazy and will not hunt.

--Wag--

gwpercle
12-04-2022, 06:54 PM
No !!! I had no idea they ate beeswax !
50+ years with beeswax , sticks of boolit lube and lubed boolits in a small wood framed out-building and I haven't had them eat any of it .
We do have a couple cats but they aren't that young and when I notice "rat tracks" I put out DeCon Rat Chow ... I keep putting out Rat Chow until it stops getting ate up .
I need to get some more for my Garage , thanks for reminding me !
Gary

dondiego
12-04-2022, 07:49 PM
Mice can be particular. I once pulled my tulip, gladiolus, and daffodil bulbs and put them in paper sacks on the basement steps for temporary storage . I have an old Michigan basement and it has mice. All of the tulip bulbs were eaten but the daffodil bulbs and the gladiolus corms were not touched. I had heard that daffodils were poisonous and I guess the mice knew too. A friend brought me a bunch of lead round balls that were purposed for his Cap and Ball revolver and there were several that had been chewed by a rodent.

jimb16
12-04-2022, 08:07 PM
I've had them chow down on bullet lube sticks for the Lyman sizer. Now I poly coat. So far they haven't tried the poly paint.

458mag
12-06-2022, 11:42 AM
That would explain the tiny squirt marks in the garage.

NEKVT
12-08-2022, 12:18 AM
... Outside, in the Barn... Double Bubble, bubble gum... All critters, from mice to Raccoons, (certainly ground hogs) love it ... Kills 'em !!!

I had a ground hog (call'em woodchucks here) in my garden. Fed it so much bubblegum it was laughing at me. A Conibear #2 with apple slices on the trigger wires got it first set. Conibears are illegal in my state even for licensed trappers but was at the end of my rope trying things and found one online at a True Value about an hour away. Someone ordered it but never picked it up. The store owner told me it was illegal which I knew but after telling him what I had been through with the critter he sold it to me and as I was leaving he said "If you can catch up to it a baseball bat works too!"

HWooldridge
12-08-2022, 12:24 AM
Best ratters I ever saw were dachshunds and Jack Russell terriers. My old dachshund Rhea (she has passed on now) would burrow through the hay bales in the barn and bring out all manner of vermin. She would kill a rat and bring it out then go back for another one. Only problem is that we would occasionally also have rattlesnakes in the hay; they were looking for rats, too. Fortunately, Rhea and the snakes never collided.

I also had a little fat JRT named Bullet who sat around and did nothing until he spotted something, then he hit it like a ton of bricks. One of the few dogs I ever saw who could kill a raccoon in seconds.

Hanzy4200
12-12-2022, 07:01 PM
https://www.ruralking.com/ramik-bars-4-pack-116334

I started using this stuff last year, and it works WAY better than that green crap every other store sells. I let this stuff in my chicken coop, and I'm finding dead or dying mice within 24 hours.