PDA

View Full Version : Gas check ?

jim 44-40
12-01-2022, 12:46 PM
Got around to loading for my Ruger Redhawk. Using mold 429244 that won't accept Hornady gas checks. I have a few in a bag that are aluminum marked pee wee. They fit fine,but I can't remember where I got them from.It must have been here on this site. Anyone have these checks?
Sage gas checks don't fit either
Ya, the ones I got from Pee wee are homemade but fit and crimp perfect.
Going to look into NOE expander

Misery-Whip
12-01-2022, 11:55 PM
Might do a search for a gas check punch. It opens the check so it can start. I havent seen one for sale, but its a bolt or roundstock with a chamfer ground on one end. Put chamfer on check and bump with a hammer.

Im starting with checks too, and hoped things worked out better.

Minerat
12-02-2022, 12:07 AM
I have one of these.

https://noebulletmolds.com/site/product-category/bullet-casting-reloading/gas-checks-tools/gas-check-expander/

Takes a little practice but works well when you don't try to force it.

jim 44-40
12-02-2022, 09:24 AM
Thank you guys.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-02-2022, 09:53 AM
Got around to loading for my Ruger Redhawk. Using mold 429244 that won't accept Hornady gas checks. I have a few in a bag that are aluminum marked pee wee. They fit fine,but I can't remember where I got them from.It must have been here on this site. Anyone have these checks?

I have a Lyman mold that casts boolits with an oversize GC shank...making installing a GC near impossible. I found a casting technique that drops the boolits slightly smaller, so the GC shank is smaller, allowing a nice fit from a standard GC.

Here is the info
https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.php?threads/lyman-410610-and-casting-technique-to-reduce-gc-shank.3706/

catkiller45
12-02-2022, 10:29 AM
I use a ball bearing. Work great.

Misery-Whip
12-02-2022, 11:08 AM
I use a ball bearing. Work great.

Ugggh! So simple...thanks for the tip

OFFSHORE
12-17-2022, 07:56 PM

I have the same mold and cannot get Sage/Gator nor Lyman GC's to seat firmly either!!! Is there a GC that does work for these undersized shank molds or a modification of sort to make things work??? Appreciate any advice at this point.

Iowa Fox
01-12-2023, 11:04 PM
I have a Lyman mold that casts boolits with an oversize GC shank...making installing a GC near impossible. I found a casting technique that drops the boolits slightly smaller, so the GC shank is smaller, allowing a nice fit from a standard GC.

Here is the info
https://www.artfulbullet.com/index.php?threads/lyman-410610-and-casting-technique-to-reduce-gc-shank.3706/

Link won't open
I'v got a mold that everything is oversize.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-13-2023, 11:03 AM
Link won't open
I'v got a mold that everything is oversize.

Their Server was down yesterday.
It has been corrected overnight.
Link works now.