PDA

View Full Version : New to Muzzle loading with a question

boatswainsmate
11-29-2022, 01:56 PM
Hello all,
I recently put a CVA wolf muzzle loader on layaway and I'm looking for help. From what I've read you're able to load .452 bullets in 50 caliber sabots. Is it ok to shoot cast bullets made from 16-1 alloy in the high twist inline barrels with the sabots? I plan on using Blackhorn 209 and magnum 209 primers. Thanks in advance, Boats
https://i.ibb.co/VLX5w1g/RCBS-45-300-SWC-1st-Cast.jpg (https://ibb.co/K5CSKP2)

BLAHUT
11-29-2022, 03:19 PM
Why not just make and load .50 cal bullets in pure lead, there are a number of molds and bullet designs that work real good, blackhorn209 works great, was the only powder i used for years till they priced it so high now. I try to keep all my loads at about 1200 FPS in all my black powder guns with pure lead. In my 45/70 or .50 cal with blackhorn209 depending on lot number runs about 38 to 42 grs weighed, under a 500 gr bullet across a coronagraph to get 1200 FPS, with Mag primers. My Wolf CVA will put 5 touching at 100 yds if I do my part ?

LAGS
11-29-2022, 03:30 PM
The Sabot as long as it fits your Boolit will work with whatever type of alloy you use it even jacketed bullets

boatswainsmate
11-29-2022, 03:33 PM
Why not just make and load .50 cal bullets in pure lead, there are a number of molds and bullet designs that work real good, blackhorn209 works great, was the only powder i used for years till they priced it so high now. I try to keep all my loads at about 1200 FPS in all my black powder guns with pure lead. In my 45/70 or .50 cal with blackhorn209 depending on lot number runs about 38 to 42 grs weighed, under a 500 gr bullet across a coronagraph to get 1200 FPS, with Mag primers. My Wolf CVA will put 5 touching at 100 yds if I do my part ?

Thanks

boatswainsmate
11-29-2022, 03:34 PM
The Sabot as long as it fits your Boolit will work with whatever type of alloy you use it even jacketed bullets
Thanks

BamaNapper
11-29-2022, 03:54 PM
You'll be happy with the pistol bullet in a sabot. I started out with Hornady SST bullets, which were super accurate and spoiled me. The problem was paying about $2 a shot for them. They were fine for hunting season, but I shoot more than I hunt. I tried casting round ball and was disappointed with accuracy out at 100 yds (12" groups?). Then I tried the Lee REAL, and it had better accuracy (4-5" groups) but I was dealing with lube and wads. My most recent foray has been the pistol bullets in a sabot, and I'm very pleased. They are easy, economical, and are giving consistent 2" groups at 100 yds. If there's a down side to them it's that they take a little more effort to ram down the barrel, but that tight fit may be the reason they are as accurate as they are.

I haven't used Blackhorn. I grab Pyrodex powder off the shelf and have found my TC Pro Hunter with the 28" twist really likes 80gr by volume with a standard primer. I'm not looking for monster power since the whitetails here are down around 150# live weight, so the load is more than enough. More powder was good for more smoke, noise and recoil, but did nothing for accuracy.

Good luck with the new adventure.

boatswainsmate
11-29-2022, 04:16 PM
You'll be happy with the pistol bullet in a sabot. I started out with Hornady SST bullets, which were super accurate and spoiled me. The problem was paying about $2 a shot for them. They were fine for hunting season, but I shoot more than I hunt. I tried casting round ball and was disappointed with accuracy out at 100 yds (12" groups?). Then I tried the Lee REAL, and it had better accuracy (4-5" groups) but I was dealing with lube and wads. My most recent foray has been the pistol bullets in a sabot, and I'm very pleased. They are easy, economical, and are giving consistent 2" groups at 100 yds. If there's a down side to them it's that they take a little more effort to ram down the barrel, but that tight fit may be the reason they are as accurate as they are.

I haven't used Blackhorn. I grab Pyrodex powder off the shelf and have found my TC Pro Hunter with the 28" twist really likes 80gr by volume with a standard primer. I'm not looking for monster power since the whitetails here are down around 150# live weight, so the load is more than enough. More powder was good for more smoke, noise and recoil, but did nothing for accuracy.

Good luck with the new adventure.

Thanks

Smoke4320
11-29-2022, 04:25 PM
I do that now in a CVA Optima (1 grade higher than the CVA Wolf) use a NOE 452-350 HP 2% tin and Pure lead and a Knight Black hi Pressure 50 cal sabot for 450-452 bullets
Shot quite a few deer with this and 2 50 Grain White hot pellets. Have not lost a deer with that combo yet

boatswainsmate
11-29-2022, 04:32 PM
I do that now in a CVA Optima (1 grade higher than the CVA Wolf) use a NOE 452-350 HP 2% tin and Pure lead and a Knight Black hi Pressure 50 cal sabot for 450-452 bullets
Shot quite a few deer with this and 2 50 Grain White hot pellets. Have not lost a deer with that combo yet

Thanks. Are you lubing? Gas Checking?

jim 44-40
11-29-2022, 06:22 PM
Hello all,
I recently put a CVA wolf muzzle loader on layaway and I'm looking for help. From what I've read you're able to load .452 bullets in 50 caliber sabots. Is it ok to shoot cast bullets made from 16-1 alloy in the high twist inline barrels with the sabots? I plan on using Blackhorn 209 and magnum 209 primers. Thanks in advance, Boats
https://i.ibb.co/VLX5w1g/RCBS-45-300-SWC-1st-Cast.jpg (https://ibb.co/K5CSKP2)

Nice looking hollow points that's for sure!

boatswainsmate
11-29-2022, 07:20 PM
Nice looking hollow points that's for sure!

Thanks

Smoke4320
11-29-2022, 07:48 PM
No need to lube as the sabot protects the bore.
I powdercoat everything I shoot but again not really necessary with the sabot
Powdercoating will protect the kead bullet from growing hairy in very long term storage

megasupermagnum
11-29-2022, 09:07 PM
No need for a gas check on the bullet. You don't want to lube the bullet either. It can help to use just a thin smear of lube on the outside of a sabot to help ease loading. That's one of the few good uses for TC bore butter. If they load real hard, you can size the bullet down. The alloy you use for the bullets doesn't matter. Pure lead is fine. For the speeds you will be seeing, I think 16:1 is going to be a very good choice with your pictured bullet.

boatswainsmate
11-29-2022, 10:50 PM
No need to lube as the sabot protects the bore.
I powdercoat everything I shoot but again not really necessary with the sabot
Powdercoating will protect the kead bullet from growing hairy in very long term storage

Thanks

boatswainsmate
11-29-2022, 10:51 PM
No need for a gas check on the bullet. You don't want to lube the bullet either. It can help to use just a thin smear of lube on the outside of a sabot to help ease loading. That's one of the few good uses for TC bore butter. If they load real hard, you can size the bullet down. The alloy you use for the bullets doesn't matter. Pure lead is fine. For the speeds you will be seeing, I think 16:1 is going to be a very good choice with your pictured bullet.

Thanks

OverMax
11-30-2022, 03:19 AM
Need to keep in mind the velocity a muzzle loader develops. You want to ensure bullet expansion at any distance when using a sabo.
As stated. 16-1 that's about 5.88% addition of tin to a smelter batch of pure lead so to create a 11 Brinell of hardness.
No higher than a 8-Brinell of lead hardness should be you're goal. {Reduce Tin addition in current recipe by 50%} That lesser measure of Tin will ensure a softer lead material. Ideal for energy dump on target and a large wound channel if your a Hunter?
A 8- brinell hardness. That is near perfect for sabot use in B/P barrels.

Packy
11-30-2022, 07:12 AM
I shoot lead bullets with a harvester crushed ribbed sabot out of 2 cva accuras. I have used 44 and 45 caliber boolits and they all shoot good. I use 90 grains of blackhorn powder. Cva makes a special breech plug for the blackhorn powder.

toot
11-30-2022, 07:29 AM
the casting look's to be perfect.

Edward
11-30-2022, 07:32 AM
Load anything you like in a sabot , accuracy is dependent on barrel/twist /Ed

boatswainsmate
11-30-2022, 09:34 AM
Need to keep in mind the velocity a muzzle loader develops. You want to ensure bullet expansion at any distance when using a sabo.
As stated. 16-1 that's about 5.88% addition of tin to a smelter batch of pure lead so to create a 11 Brinell of hardness.
No higher than a 8-Brinell of lead hardness should be you're goal. {Reduce Tin addition in current recipe by 50%} That lesser measure of Tin will ensure a softer lead material. Ideal for energy dump on target and a large wound channel if your a Hunter?
A 8- brinell hardness. That is near perfect for sabot use in B/P barrels.
Thanks

boatswainsmate
11-30-2022, 09:35 AM
I shoot lead bullets with a harvester crushed ribbed sabot out of 2 cva accuras. I have used 44 and 45 caliber boolits and they all shoot good. I use 90 grains of blackhorn powder. Cva makes a special breech plug for the blackhorn powder.

Thanks

boatswainsmate
11-30-2022, 09:36 AM
the casting look's to be perfect.

Thanks

boatswainsmate
11-30-2022, 09:38 AM
Load anything you like in a sabot , accuracy is dependent on barrel/twist /Ed

Thanks