PDA

View Full Version : First Smelt spelled success

Jumping Frog
02-02-2009, 12:41 AM
Well, I lurked and read, and then lurked and read some more. Obsessed over getting zinc wheelweights melted in and ruining all my lead. Obsessed some more over what would happen if some of them had moisture in it.

Well, I guess this is one of those things in life that sounded more daunting ahead of time than it actually ended up being. We had good weather today, around 40F and sunny, so I took the opportunity to reduce a bunch of wheelweights to nice shiny lead ingots.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/Jumping_Frog/DSCF0217.jpg

I basically used a craigslist turkey fryer with propane tank, a stainless bowl from the thrift store, a $2 slotted spoon, a 25 year-old Wok ladle, a couple of thrift store muffin pans, a few leftover candles, and a Lyman thermometer.

The Lyman thermometer cost more than all the rest of the equipment combined.

I was so worried about zinc. Well, I found that the lead was completely liquid between 600-650 degrees. It was a snap to pull all the steel clips and other garbage that floated on the top out with the slotted spoon. The turkey fryer pot has now become my official smelting trash pot. You can see the number of weights that did not melt in the picture -- 5 total.

The end result: I estimate about 225 lbs of lead. Now it is time to start casting boolits!

supv26
02-02-2009, 01:10 AM
That is very similar to what happened in my back yard on Saturday!!
:drinks:
Even snow!!!!!
I also had a chunk of something that would not melt! I thought it was lead but it sure wouldn't melt like the rest of the stuff I was putting in the pot.

One thing leads to another! I think we are all getting addicted to this! Must be the fumes! LOL
:-D:castmine:

jforwel
02-02-2009, 01:28 AM
I was kind of apprehensive too when I fired up my first pot. But all went well and I couldn't wait until the next time. I am all through my WWs, now ingots, and still have another 100 pounds of scrap lead to melt. Wait until you start making bullets. You won't want to stop!

opentop
02-02-2009, 01:28 AM
I estimate about 225 lbs of lead

Haven't you heard yet? Lead is BAD for you, you better ship it to me so I can dispose of it for you.

On a serious side, that’s a good looking pile of muffins. Addicting isn’t it?

imashooter2
02-02-2009, 08:21 AM
Congrats! The only thing I don't like about your setup is the bowl... Too small on the bottom for my liking. I'd be afraid it'd tip while stirring, skimming, fluxing and such.

wheelgunner
02-02-2009, 11:27 AM
Congrats! The only thing I don't like about your setup is the bowl... Too small on the bottom for my liking. I'd be afraid it'd tip while stirring, skimming, fluxing and such.

I agree with imashooter, spend the 25.00 for a cast iron dutch oven, it's less than 1% of what the medical bills will be if that bowl tips over on your leg!

Nice looking clean ingots, now your hooked like the rest of us!!