PDA

View Full Version : i tried it--no gc on a gc bullet

GLynn41
02-01-2009, 11:58 PM
I had read that they will do just fine but Sat -- it pretty here in West Tenn so I loaded up some for my 5.5" Redhawk .41 mountain mold 255 wfngc-- at 25 yards RESTED I shot jsut 9 rounds 5with Lars 2500 and 5 with his pink stuff forgot what it is called-- anyway with a 2x pistol scope-- and the 2500 4 of the five were touching and one jsut to one side -- I hate that when that happens-- with the pinkstuff four were all but touching -- and I lost he last round which I found in my coat pocket on the way home -- I was using AA#9 -- and the bullets were as cast -- a little tight in seating in the chambers --they were about .412-- so i will try to take it down to .411-- -- anyway it was fun BTW the lube with the alox in it that gave me the slightly better group and I have found that --n my case to be true over and over-- also I have found it seems that these lubes are a little slower over the chrono-- and that the hard lubes are jsut a little faster --20 30fps my observations -- the 2500 type lubes have tended to give me smaller ED's also---of course other things my be part of this but it was fun observing

S.R.Custom
02-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Cool... thanks for posting! :-D

3rptr
02-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Did leaving off the gas check leave any leading in your bore?

Old Ironsights
02-02-2009, 12:43 PM
I've never had any issues shooting 358156's without gas checks to reasonable velocities.

Just think of them/treat them like bevel based bullets.

Larry Gibson
02-02-2009, 01:39 PM
"to reasonable velocities"

That is the key as many of us have posted in the past. Pushing above 1200 fps with non-GC'd GC designed bullets in rifles is another story. As to revolvers 429244 does well in my .44s up through 1000 fps. Not as well with the GC on and not as well the FB 44-250-KT. Both 429244 w/GC and the 44-250 do as well and better up through 1400+ fps.

I've run the same tests with 313631 in the .32 H&R, 358156 in several .357s, 410610 in a couple .41 magnums and the above mentioned in .44 magnums. The results were the same in all. Non- GC'd GC'd designed bullets can shoot ok up through 1000 fps or so in revolvers and non - GC'd GC'd designed bullets can do ok in rilfes up through 1200 fps or so. However. Using the GC and or a similar designed PB cast bullet gives better accuracy at lower and higher velocities. Given the cost of Lee moulds does it really make a lot of sense to "make do" with non - GC'd bullets of GC design for practice or plinking loads?

Larry Gibson

Larry Gibson

GLynn41
02-02-2009, 06:06 PM
Larry may a point these were my best groups -- and it was with out the gc- I will try again oh darn I hate that -- Also as was asked no I had no real leading-- barrell looked fine-- these were very hard bullets-- at least for me- that is how I got them to go .412-- in just ww.411 and if I make them softer they will go down to. .410+ so I am going to run a batch at .411 and run unsized as well put the gas checks on some of them-- I will use the same charge of AA#9 which was 15.5 with WWLPP-if the wind will die down I will clock with and with out to see what effect that might have -- - it will be Fri or Sat. I will post what happens -- the bullet is a good killer although 2 deer at 30-35 yards is not a whole lot- but they did a lot of internal damgae both animals they were down and dead in very few seconds -- almost no squriming either down and pretty much still -- i know what the mv was on those it was 1340 --from my 41/44 but it used a lot more AA#9-- btw these bullets have a bearing surface of around.700+

Larry Gibson
02-02-2009, 07:39 PM
Glynn41

I wasn't criticising your groups or what you did. I was for the most part agreeing with you, i.e. accuracy can be had with non-GC'd bullets intended for GCs at lower speeds. With your choice of the longer bearing surfaced, heavier bullet you may be onto something. That may be good for those who have the heavier GC'd bullet moulds. My experience and that of others is that the lack of the GC is detrimental to accuracy except at lower velocities. That may or may not apply to the heavier bullets. Your continued testing may provide us with some interesting answers. Looking forward to the results of your continued tests.

Larry Gibson

GLynn41
02-02-2009, 11:53 PM
I did not take it as criticising -- i thought we were discusing -- as to the groups remember only 25 yards -pistol scope and well rested so that might speak well of my handloading or casting or the gun does say much about my shooting-- except I can rest and squeeze-- the thing about the bullet is it is slow =-- in a way becaue it has a fair amount of bearing -- I know this because of Dan's program at Mountain Mold --who made the brass mold for me

Tn_River_Ratt
02-03-2009, 06:44 AM
Glynn41

I have had similar results. It is all about having fun.

BTW what part of West TN?

Ratt

Bret4207
02-03-2009, 08:29 AM
When I first started shooting cast in my 7x57 I had a friend with a mould, no gas checks and no money. I shot unsized, handlubed 287405's at about 1100 fps based on Lymans load book. I had minute of rock accuracy. If I upped the speed things got crazy fast. When I finally got GC's my standard load with the still as cast ( no sizer yet) boolits gave me groups just over 1.5 " at 50ish yards. That's down from 4-5" groups at that range. I had a similar experience with the 311316 on the 32-20 rifle and with my early 45-70 loads.

This is the conclusion I've come to- While some gun/load/boolit combination's shoot GC design w/o the GC okay, I have never seen a GC design shoot BETTER w/o the GC. I suppose it could happen, but I'd want to see to runs of 100 shots or so with and w/o the GC to prove it.

GLynn41
02-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Tn River Rat --Dyer , Gibson county-- not Dyer county--Dyer, TN ,lived here about 15 years--came from Winchester to here born and reared in Clarksdale, Miss

GLynn41
02-03-2009, 04:14 PM
Bret 4207 if the weather permits I will shoot Fri or Sat-and would like to chrono --currently we have a 18 mph and a windchill of 14

Larry Gibson
02-03-2009, 04:25 PM
Bret 4207 if the weather permits I will shoot Fri or Sat-and would like to chrono --currently we have a 18 mph and a windchill of 14

I'm interested in your results with that heavier bullet, are you going to chronograph? I guess we could alow a little flinching due to the cold:drinks:

Larry Gibson