PDA

View Full Version : Claiming cast as King……..

sloughfoot
11-25-2022, 03:45 PM
Will get you highly frowned upon among j-word hunters. I showed a few guys my actual first hand success in the field and the range and a few of them lost their minds claiming there was no way I could have done that with cast lead bullets and I was going to permanently damage my rifle and trace elements were going to corrode my bore and once my rifling was fouled my rifle would be useless. On and on and on…..for most of them money wasn’t and option and neither was cast bullets. Being cast was more labor intensive 307241307242307243307244

Hannibal
11-25-2022, 03:50 PM
'A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest.'

Froogal
11-25-2022, 05:11 PM
Pretty sure that all of the old west buffalo hunters used jacketed bullets. Right?;)

Texas by God
11-25-2022, 05:42 PM
We have the advantage because we've used both kinds of bullets successfully. We know what's what.
Tell them to "Just Google it dude".

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

farmbif
11-25-2022, 05:52 PM
I saw a movie where the buffalo hunters would cast and reload by the campfire. Jus the same as the revolutionary war soldiers. and this was on TV so its got to be true.
it makes me laugh everytime some "expert" go on and on about cast bullets and they aint no good at all for hunting and how you won't be able to kill a trophy animal without using the newest super sleek plastic tipped projectile. most people have no idea what a 150 or 200 grain piece of lead moving at 2200 fps will do to flesh and bone. yeah they probably dont cover that in the newest video games

BLAHUT
11-25-2022, 06:18 PM
You are just wasting your breath and energy ???

hoodat
11-25-2022, 06:54 PM
You be sure to keep those pics safe so that young man can find them when he's fifty, and missing you. jd

Mk42gunner
11-25-2022, 06:58 PM
Pretty sure that all of the old west buffalo hunters used jacketed bullets. Right?;)

Some did.

But it was a paper jacket.

Robert

HWooldridge
11-25-2022, 07:04 PM
Never listen to the naysayers. Some folks know what works, and that’s all that’s important.

Nice deer and good shot placement.

1Hawkeye
11-25-2022, 07:12 PM
Let the ignorant whine while you enjoy the satisfaction of your kids having made meat with bullets you cast yourself. The only thing that could make it any better is if you built the rifles they used.

Winger Ed.
11-25-2022, 07:27 PM
The truth doesn't stand a chance against a good myth.

Shopdog
11-25-2022, 07:35 PM
Folks that say it can't be done.... shouldn't interrupt those doing it.

sixshot
11-25-2022, 07:40 PM
And to think I've been a failure since the 60's! All those animals wasted, dang it!

Dick

sloughfoot
11-26-2022, 08:40 AM
I wound up deleting the social media post I’d made because they transitioned from attacking my bullet choice to my family and I don’t have time for that

Good Cheer
11-26-2022, 08:49 AM
And better still, that you designed the cartridge for shooting cast.

MrWolf
11-26-2022, 09:52 AM
I wound up deleting the social media post I’d made because they transitioned from attacking my bullet choice to my family and I don’t have time for that

I've never had any type of social media account except maybe this site and a oncea year or so on another. Figured no one needs to know what I am doing while typing this:groner:

jonp
11-27-2022, 08:06 AM
"Once my rifling was fouled the rifle would be useless" is one I've not heard yet. Do those experts not know how to clean a firearm?

fastdadio
11-27-2022, 09:00 AM
This reminds me of the time I was invited by my sister in laws boy friend to hunt with him and his friends at his northern cabin and 70 acre property. I decided to hunt that year with my Springfield NM M1a since I had never taken a deer with it.
When I pulled it out, they came unglued, like they thought it was some kind of full auto bazooka of something. One guy asked if I was going to blow the deer in half with it. I tried to explain it was simply a .308 with a 5 round mag just like any other deer rifle. He just didn't get it.
To add to their hypocrisy, they all had high end magnum caliber rifles, that in my opinion, were gross over kill for the taking of deer. Everything they knew about hunting deer, they learned from you tube and magazines.
What a bunch of narcissistic fudds. I took a nice doe at just under 200yds with the irons. I was the only one to get a deer that weekend, and I never hunted with them again. Guess I just didn't fit into their little 'be like me' club.

gunarea
11-27-2022, 09:52 AM
307318Five gold, four silver, six bronze, Florida State Sport Shooting. Five disciplines, just since 2000. Every one, won with my homecast projectiles. Ten of us watched our buddy take a small hog at 80 yards using a cast bullet out of a handgun with iron sights. Not a big deal to any of us. Come play Lawnsteel! We will be happy to show what accuracy with a cast bullet is all about.

Roy

Rickf1985
11-27-2022, 10:40 AM
Roy, The first thing that came to mind when I saw you table full of awards was a video by Paul Harrel years ago where he put a video out in response to what was apparently many people questioning his qualifications for his statement "I am what you would call an expert" and also his qualifications for the actual shooting he does. Like most people in his class he has no desire to show off but apparently he had had enough of these people and he laid out his shooting awards...............covering three 6 foot long tables!!! All top awards. Take away from this is do NOT criticize those you do not know!

JSnover
11-27-2022, 11:46 AM
I used to pick up factory LSWC ammunition for my .357 at gun shows fairly cheap. The youngsters wouldn't touch them and the sellers didn't want to pack them back home.
One time I was inspecting a box and the kid next to me says, "You gonna shoot them junky lead ones?" I just smiled.

Ed K
11-27-2022, 09:34 PM

Go back and delete your account

beemer
11-27-2022, 10:32 PM
From what I've heard lately facts no longer matter. Years ago I would try to explain things to folks but it got tiring, I just listen and go about my business.

Thin Man
11-28-2022, 07:57 AM
Farmbif, I had the same recall as yours. Could that movie have been the Kevin Costner remake of the Wyatt Earp story? Another memory was a "B" grade movie where 6 or 7 rustlers were penned in an isolated cabin by the posse. Both teams were shooting at each other as fast as they could. Inside the cabin one poor soul was pouring lead into a mold as fast as he could and all the other guys with him were screaming for him to pick up the pace as they needed ammo. No idea the name of that movie and it was a long time ago.