PDA

View Full Version : No more non-FFL firearms shipping through UPS and Fedex

Big Tom
11-25-2022, 01:26 PM
Looks like the demrats, guncontrol fetishists got a pretty big win, convincing Fedex and UPS to stop shipping firearms from non-FFL dealers/private parties. UPS apparently even goes a step further and will not accept shipments of firearm related parts... Where the heck is this world going....

Which service will you use moving forward?

slim1836
11-25-2022, 01:30 PM
Well that blows, gotta source to that by any chance?

Slim

Three44s
11-25-2022, 01:32 PM
Death of our liberty by a thousand cuts!

Three44s

salpal48
11-25-2022, 01:33 PM
What they don't know won't. hurt them

Smoke4320
11-25-2022, 01:41 PM
Slim1836 Big tom is correct.. if you go to the UPS site it spells it out very very specifically..
as a FFL dealer we are now required by UPS to establish a completely different UPS Account to ONLY ship firearms and bunches of hoops and requirements
it sucks big time

from the UPS website

UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

To transport packages containing Firearm Products, the Shipper must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing Firearms or Firearm Parts complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions. All Firearms and Firearm Parts shipments must also conform to the terms, conditions, restrictions, and prohibitions set forth on this page at the time of shipping, in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service and UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping, and in the approved UPS Firearm Products agreement.

Prohibited Firearm Products Shipments
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment, either domestically or internationally.

UPS does not accept Firearms or Firearm Parts for shipment internationally. Replicas or simulated Firearms are not accepted for shipment internationally except as a contractual service.

UPS does not accept Firearms or Firearm Parts for shipment domestically unless (1) such shipments are in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, including, without limitation, age restrictions; (2) such Firearms, including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver (as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12), have been identified and bear a serial number in a manner that complies with federal law; and (3) such Firearm Parts within a package cannot be assembled to form a Firearm.

Any item that meets the definition of a Firearm (including Firearm mufflers or silencers) or a “frame” or “receiver” under federal law (including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12) must be identified and bear a serial number in satisfaction of the requirements for identifying such items under federal law, including 27 CFR § 478.92 and/or 27 CFR § 479.102, regardless of whether any such items are otherwise exempt from or not subject to identification requirements under applicable law. This prohibition applies even before the effective date of 27 CFR §

scattershot
11-25-2022, 01:48 PM
What they don't know won't. hurt them

Amen, brother.

Big Tom
11-25-2022, 01:50 PM
Here's the fedex BS: https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html
(https://www.fedex.com/en-us/shipping/how-to-ship-firearms.html)

gc45
11-25-2022, 02:36 PM
And all the democrat voting gun owners are very happy. They should all look in the mirror and say, "See what a great thing I have done."

Texas Gun
11-25-2022, 02:45 PM
They can only buy votes for so long that’s why they’re trying to take them away

slim1836
11-25-2022, 02:47 PM
Slim1836 Big tom is correct.. if you go to the UPS site it spells it out very very specifically..
as a FFL dealer we are now required by UPS to establish a completely different UPS Account to ONLY ship firearms and bunches of hoops and requirements
it sucks big time

from the UPS website

UPS accepts packages containing Firearm Products for shipment only as a contractual service and only from Shippers who are licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, or licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code) to authorized recipients, as outlined in the approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

To transport packages containing Firearm Products, the Shipper must enter into an approved UPS agreement for the transportation of Firearm Products.

The shipper must comply with and must ensure that each shipment containing Firearms or Firearm Parts complies with all federal, state and local laws applicable to the shipper, recipient, and package, including, without limitation, age restrictions. All Firearms and Firearm Parts shipments must also conform to the terms, conditions, restrictions, and prohibitions set forth on this page at the time of shipping, in the UPS Tariff/Terms and Conditions of Service and UPS Rate and Service Guide in effect at the time of shipping, and in the approved UPS Firearm Products agreement.

Prohibited Firearm Products Shipments
UPS does not accept automatic weapons, including machine guns, for shipment, either domestically or internationally.

UPS does not accept Firearms or Firearm Parts for shipment internationally. Replicas or simulated Firearms are not accepted for shipment internationally except as a contractual service.

UPS does not accept Firearms or Firearm Parts for shipment domestically unless (1) such shipments are in full compliance with all federal, state, and local laws, including, without limitation, age restrictions; (2) such Firearms, including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver (as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12), have been identified and bear a serial number in a manner that complies with federal law; and (3) such Firearm Parts within a package cannot be assembled to form a Firearm.

Any item that meets the definition of a Firearm (including Firearm mufflers or silencers) or a “frame” or “receiver” under federal law (including any partially complete, disassembled, or nonfunctional frame or receiver as defined by 27 CFR § 478.12) must be identified and bear a serial number in satisfaction of the requirements for identifying such items under federal law, including 27 CFR § 478.92 and/or 27 CFR § 479.102, regardless of whether any such items are otherwise exempt from or not subject to identification requirements under applicable law. This prohibition applies even before the effective date of 27 CFR §

Thanks for the clarification Smoke4320. Wasn't there a ruling lately of some nature that stated serial numbers were no longer required on weapons or did I imagine this?

Slim

Harter66
11-25-2022, 02:57 PM
Nevada says thou shalt have a number applied by a certified licensed number application facility. It's in legalese but that's the jist of it . Get caught with a finished 80% go to jail .

Hannibal
11-25-2022, 03:00 PM
Before long some unknown will step up and take over firearms and firearm component shipping. It'll probably cost more but a market has been created so someone will serve it.

Just don't forget when the other carriers realize their mistakes in lost revenue and reverse policy. That dog bit us so stop feeding it and let it starve.

Keyman
11-25-2022, 03:09 PM
So what are the rules for the USPS(postal service)?

Hannibal
11-25-2022, 03:54 PM
Personally given the current situation if I were shipping any modern firearms I'd bear the extra expense and ship strictly FFL to FFL. Just not worth the potential hassle to save a few dollars.

Big Tom
11-25-2022, 04:33 PM
USPS is not allowed per federal regulation.

Big Tom
11-25-2022, 04:34 PM
Unless you want to ship within the state or for example for a repair/tuning...

Personally given the current situation if I were shipping any modern firearms I'd bear the extra expense and ship strictly FFL to FFL. Just not worth the potential hassle to save a few dollars.

justindad
11-25-2022, 04:47 PM
Does this impact Midway shipping out replacement parts, like a 1911 ejector rod?

georgerkahn
11-25-2022, 05:16 PM
Does this impact Midway shipping out replacement parts, like a 1911 ejector rod?

That is one awesomely great question, and I hope s knowledgeable person will answer it -- I have no idea!

What I am going to add is that I recently attempted to post a Beeman air pistol -- a good one -- to a repair person (seal replacement, etc.) and was very kindly advised by counter person at USPS that I possibly could find myself in a bit of doo-doo just from bringing the (triple-boxed, sealed) box into the Post Office building. I egressed with haste going to UPS store. There, the nice gal spent a quarter-hour on telephone to ascertain it was OK -- and it turned out that was a no-go, too. :( :( :(
I rang repair shop and trying FedEx was suggested. Of all surprises, I left package locked in my truck (play it safe, eh?) and made inquiry in -- of all places -- a Walgreens Pharmacy which also has Fed Ex pick-up. NO PROBLEM! I was assured; I got the box, filled out one small form and handed over a few U S dollars -- and off it went. Three days later (tracking) it was received by repairman. Then, albeit it took a few months, I got a 'phone call the pistol was repaired and provided CC info to execute payment. Two days later -- FedEx made delivery.
Perhaps FedEx will be the only way to go?

Shanghai Jack
11-25-2022, 05:31 PM

Not completely correct.

farmbif
11-25-2022, 05:40 PM
sounds like UPS has some new legal form s that must get the I's dotted and tees crossed and put your signature on it so the next time some yahoo whacked in the head shoots up a school full of children they cant get sued and lose $millions. I wonder if the lawyers even understand completely what these new forms say.

KenH
11-25-2022, 06:47 PM
I didn't think an air rifle was considered a firearm by the ATF?

Hannibal
11-25-2022, 07:11 PM
People who don't like guns aren't going to bother learning any details and there's no consequences for restricting anything and everything gun related. It's only going to get worse.

Electrod47
11-25-2022, 07:24 PM
Brothers, Just dismantle what you need to ship and send multiple packages of metal and wood. Might even cut down on the chance of theft.

Tracy
11-25-2022, 10:14 PM

That applies to pistols but not to long guns.

Tracy
11-25-2022, 10:17 PM

A nonlicensee may not transfer a firearm to a non-licensed resident of another state. A nonlicensee may mail a shotgun or rifle to a resident of their own state or to a licensee in any state.

The U.S. Postal Service recommends that long guns be sent by registered mail and that no marking of any kind which would indicate the nature of the contents be placed on the outside of any parcel containing firearms.

Handguns are not mailable. A common or contract carrier must be used to ship a handgun.

[18 U.S.C. 1715, 922(a)(5) and 922 (a)(2)(A); 27 CFR 478.31]

Source: https://www.atf.gov/firearms/qa/may-nonlicensee-ship-firearm-through-us-postal-service

MrWolf
11-26-2022, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the clarification Smoke4320. Wasn't there a ruling lately of some nature that stated serial numbers were no longer required on weapons or did I imagine this?

Slim

One of our great WV Federal judges recently ruled that. Here is the title of the article:
Ban on guns with serial numbers removed is unconstitutional -U.S. judge

Cane_man
12-04-2022, 11:35 AM
USPS has never had a problem with me shipping "machine parts"

contender1
12-04-2022, 11:56 AM
These large, PRIVATE companies have made it their COMPANY policy to restrict the shipping of a product. As the saying goes; "Their ball, their game."
And as noted,, hopefully another company will step up & fill the void left by them.

And to advocate an illegal activity; "shipping machine parts," or whatever,, via the USPS could have felonious results.

I do not know what the law is about using a private carrier like UPS or FedEx to ship machine parts etc so I can't fully comment there. BUT a serialized PART is considered by the Feds as a firearm. So, be aware of the laws there.

I made good friends with a freedom loving FFL long ago. He can ship a handgun via USPS w/o hassles, as long as his current FFL is on file with the USPS. He's very reasonable in his expenses to me for shipping, ESPECIALLY if I do the work in packaging.
Legal, no hassles, and insured.

Another option would be to get a FFL of some type. If you like the older guns,, that are C&R eligible then it's an easy thing to consider.

But everytime a normally law-abiding person violates a gun law,, the media & the anti-gun types can & will use it as a way of proving their reasoning to stop all of us. I do not like giving these types ANY reason to point a negative finger at us.

The only way a private carrier service, such as UPS or FedEx will consider a change is when it hurts them in the pocketbook. If you have a business that uses them, and you stop using them for ALL of your shipping needs, & start shipping via USPS, they lose money. A polite letter explaining your position, yet keeping you account open but never using it, also costs THEM in their bookkeeping. If enough companies that deal in firearms, parts, etc ALL stopped using their services,, it can & will affect these shippers profits.

I haven't shipped anything using FedEx or UPS since they forced the "overnight shipping" requirement for firearms. It's not to say that I haven't had companies use them to ship stuff to me because other companies can & do use their services.

Maybe a larger service like Amazon will see the void & step in. But NOTHING will change until there's a MONEY consideration.

scattershot
07-20-2023, 04:36 PM
Anybody ever used Ship My Gun from Bud’s?

Shawlerbrook
07-20-2023, 05:35 PM
So we cannot ship our own firearms to an ffl gunsmith for modification or repair ? Don’t you all feel a lot safer now. I will never vote for a Democrat, even if a friend or family member.

Hannibal
07-20-2023, 05:47 PM
Does it really matter? The Republicans have had the opportunity to make changes multiple times in the past. What can they point to as accomplishments?

It's all just an illusion to make us *think* we have a choice.

Money and power. At the end of the day that's all any politician is concerned about.

nannyhammer
07-20-2023, 06:08 PM
I recently had to ship a gun for repair to a manufacturer. I had them send me the shipping label and shipped it using FEDEX. It was also directly shipped back to me at the house as well. Previously when a local UPS franchise wouldn't ship I just printed a label and had a local FFL holder just add it to his stack. No issues either time.

TD1886
07-20-2023, 06:18 PM
Well looks like I'm going to have to get into the garments business sewing up grey uniforms. I'll give Mike Lindell a call because the Democrats have hurt his business in a big way. See if he's interested and joining me. Get your sizes ready Boys!!! It's coming!!

P Flados
07-20-2023, 06:46 PM

I have thought about using shipmygun.com but never have.

I went to https://www.shipmygun.com/go/ and found that it looks like they are still doing business for both handguns and long guns.

I have a 357 Max revolver that I should send back to Dan Wesson (needs a new extractor) but keep putting it off.

BrassMagnet
07-20-2023, 08:21 PM

I have. Works great!

Bmi48219
07-20-2023, 10:38 PM
…..if I were shipping any modern firearms I'd bear the extra expense and ship strictly FFL to FFL…..

From what I just read it doesn’t sound like any of us will have a choice. I’m wondering about the clause about manufacturers, dealers and FFLs must start a special UPS account to ship through them. Are they saying a new account just for shipping firearms and parts? Shipping through an FFL May get more expensive too.

Bmi48219
07-20-2023, 10:44 PM

A 1911 ejector rod?

Winger Ed.
07-21-2023, 08:27 AM
A 1911 ejector rod?

No problem.
You just have to ship those in a box labeled 'gonkulator' and be sure to mark it 'FRAGILE' on all six sides.

firefly1957
07-21-2023, 08:52 AM
It is kind of funny that the GCA of 1968 pushed services like UPS into well being with the restrictions on gun shipments now they want to kill themselves with political correctness!

Gun parts can go though the mail there is a strict rule on some parts like receivers that can not the rules are complicated on some things like you can not shipped primed brass but primed shotshells were okay last I saw??? USPS shipping prices have skyrockets a flat rate envelope that was under $5 not to long ago is over $9 now .
I have mails cast slugs and bullets to people who needed them with no issues . I have talked to a postal employee that told of a USPS employee walking off the job because of a perfectly legal shotgun shipment .

I think it was in another post here at castboolits I read that the unions were pushing the nonsense of not shipping gun parts ?

ascast
07-21-2023, 09:01 AM
So..is this going to kill the ebay / gunbroker etc sales completely?

trebor44
07-21-2023, 09:43 AM
Does it really matter? The Republicans have had the opportunity to make changes multiple times in the past. What can they point to as accomplishments?

It's all just an illusion to make us *think* we have a choice.

Money and power. At the end of the day that's all any politician is concerned about.

TRUTH!!!! Thy choice is illusionary! BUT it is economically a reality!

Winger Ed.
07-21-2023, 09:55 AM
I didn't think an air rifle was considered a firearm by the ATF?

It's not. Also you don't have to 18 or over to buy one.

I had a brief issue shipping a air rifle about a year ago.
For UPS, if it looks like a gun to them-- it is a gun, and falls under their rules as well as the govt's.

UPS would ship it, but only if I took it to one of their shipping hubs. For me, that means a trip to Dallas about 60 miles away.
Our local place is just a private contractor of UPS, and said they couldn't ship firearms.
I think it has to do with how they have to be stored if they are kept overnight.
Gun shops have to meet certain requirements like this too.

Anyway:
Using my best negociating skills, dazling/movie star looking smile, and sad puppy dog eyes,,,,
the manager said she'd go ahead and take it--- but only this once.:bigsmyl2:

gwpercle
07-21-2023, 10:04 AM
Death of our liberty by a thousand cuts!

Three44s

Little by Little ... they will take our Liberties ... if we let them .

You can always use a Democratic Tactic ... when asked , what's in the box ... claim "Auto Parts" .
Gary

atr
07-21-2023, 10:36 AM
I have successfully used USPS. On the address I never put anything in that would indicate it was being shipped to a gun dealer. I only send to licensed FFL. When asked about contents I just say metal parts.

Bmi48219
07-21-2023, 10:52 AM
I figured sooner or later UPS and FedEx would submit to leftist pressures. I’m still trying to wrap my head around the ”1911 ejector rod” thing.
My 1911s seem to work fine without them but I’m going to order some anyway.

Idaho45guy
07-21-2023, 11:38 AM
I have successfully used USPS. On the address I never put anything in that would indicate it was being shipped to a gun dealer. I only send to licensed FFL. When asked about contents I just say metal parts.

What would happen if the package was lost or destroyed and you tried to make a claim? If you had $500 insurance on "metal parts", would they pay out on that without wanting to know exactly what was in the box worth $500? Or if the package is compromised and a postal worker discovers that there is a firearm inside, would you be fined for violating USPS rules?

I just assume the worst case scenario these days and am curious as to what would happen.

Winger Ed.
07-21-2023, 01:04 PM
would you be fined for violating USPS rules?

When dealing with the US post Office--- it'd be wise to substitute the word 'rules' with 'federal law'.

They have their own Police force. They wear a regular Post Office uniform like a delivery type worker, but with a sidearm.

They are always looking for someone to prosecute so they can look good and be valuable.
With that, they'd probably try for jail time as the case went through federal court rather than a simple fine.

Of the firearms cases I've seen, the federal judge doesn't really want the govt. expense of keeping ya
in jail. They're more inclined to issue a fine that is a little more than they think you can easily afford.

schutzen-jager
07-21-2023, 04:56 PM
my son inlaw was a postal police officer for 3 years till he transferred to the DHS air marshalls - yes the postak police carry sidearms but are only allowed to do so on duty - some postal inspectors are armed also -

Handloader109
07-21-2023, 06:34 PM
When dealing with the US post Office--- it'd be wise to substitute the word 'rules' with 'federal law'.

They have their own Police force. They wear a regular Post Office uniform like a delivery type worker, but with a sidearm.

They are always looking for someone to prosecute so they can look good and be valuable.
With that, they'd probably try for jail time as the case went through federal court rather than a simple fine.

Of the firearms cases I've seen, the federal judge doesn't really want the govt. expense of keeping ya
in jail. They're more inclined to issue a fine that is a little more than they think you can easily afford.Agreed, it would be much safer to ship UPS or FedEx as it is not illegal, just against their rules. Shipping a pistol USPS is breaking federal LAW.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

firefly1957
07-21-2023, 07:01 PM
In 2018 I ordered a Beeman Nitro piston air rifle in .25 caliber it was delivered by the mail lady in the box so everyone knew what it was along the way .
I did have trouble as Walmart would not send a airgun to Michigan even though it is perfectly legal to do so . It was Ebay that the air rifle did come in the mail though.

uscra112
07-21-2023, 07:25 PM
When I first heard of this new policy from UPS/FedEx, I immediately thought of the lawfare attorneys who were suing carriers alleging that carrier's negligence resulted in injury or death caused by misuse of a firearm. Since they are prevented from suing the manufacturers, they go looking for another set of deep pockets.

So this is more of the legal defense mechanisms being put in place throughout the economy to protect against ambulance chasers and political activists.

Did I miss something?