PDA

View Full Version : In the market for a chronograph

HWooldridge
11-24-2022, 05:24 PM
I plan on buying a chronograph between now and the end of the year. What’s the consensus on best buys? My budget is $300 or less.

TIA, HW

Targa
11-27-2022, 01:22 PM
Fortunately I have access to a fairly private outdoor range where I am alone most of the time so I went with a Competition Electronics ProChrono. It works very well and was around $100, so very affordable. With that said, if my option to set a chronograph down range was limited I would have certainly ponied up the extra(much extra) coin for a LabRadar.

super6
11-27-2022, 02:41 PM
the pack 2 is a viable option if you can find one. Just something that works for me.

Randy Bohannon
11-27-2022, 03:53 PM
I wouldn’t waste my time with anything other than a LabRadar. Save your $ and buy one,they are that much better no denying it.

almar
11-27-2022, 04:24 PM
I wouldn’t waste my time with anything other than a LabRadar. Save your $ and buy one,they are that much better no denying it.

i got turned off from the purchase of one some time ago due to problems with aiming it, is this still a problem?

recumbent
11-27-2022, 04:47 PM
The lab radar has a notch on the top for aiming, not the best a lot of people glue a sort piece of soda straw for a peep sight. I found a 3d print file for a peep sight, I printed it and works great. The lab radar is awesome.

HWooldridge
11-27-2022, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Not sure I’d get my money’s worth from the LabRadar - it’s not that I can’t afford the coin, but I probably don’t shoot enough to make it worthwhile. However, I’ll shop around, maybe the manufacturer will discount them at year end.

G W Wade
11-27-2022, 08:16 PM
Fortunately I have access to a fairly private outdoor range where I am alone most of the time so I went with a Competition Electronics ProChrono. It works very well and was around $100, so very affordable. With that said, if my option to set a chronograph down range was limited I would have certainly ponied up the extra(much extra) coin for a LabRadar.

Agree with Targa. The Pre Chronodoes everything I need . Mostly checking velocity to make requirement for pistol shoots and rifle just to know what's going on. GW

Minerat
11-27-2022, 09:29 PM
I used a Pact 1 for years and got spotty reading if the light was not right. I then shot a screen arm and replaced it. The printer was nice for records. I now have a Labradar. Light is never a problem, running out if paper in not a problem, having a dead 9 volt battery or shooting a screen not a problem. I can even get readings for my .17 hornet or my .45-90 Sharps in the dark or the rain out to 100 yds (max distance at range). The data can be saved on a chip and loaded into Excel for review. You can even get Ballistic coefficient calculations from it.

Aiming is easy. I got an adapter from Smoke4320 that is a picatinny rail and Weaver 1” rings. I did not even add a scope as the rings act like a big peep and it works just fine.

Drawbacks, the price and their bluetooth program sucks. If you can afford one then you won't be sorry.

Stewbaby
11-27-2022, 11:49 PM
I’ve got a magnetospeed on order, we’ll see.

metricmonkeywrench
11-29-2022, 12:03 PM
+1 Competition Electronics ProChrono (though i have the older version) Does everything i need to do and the Bluetooth interface and associated software are easy to use. Does everyhing I need it to so