PDA

View Full Version : AR 15 Brass

Johnch
11-24-2022, 01:54 AM
I just finished a AR 15 to hunt ground hogs and anything else .... maybe pop cans LOL
26" 1-14" twist Heavy barrel
Adjustable gad block and other nice things

So I am going to start fresh with new brass as I plan on using this rifle for as long as possible

Is there any 223 / 5.56 brass that is really a lot better holding up to use out of a AR 15 ?
As some of the time I will turn off the gas block
So I will not launch the brass and possibly ding the case mouth
But other times the brass will be ejected into a brass catcher

I have 500 new StarLine pieces of 223 brass that I am thinking of using
But if there is a better and available brass
I might buy it
As I don't plan on high pressure loads , so the brass should hold up for a number of reloads

Thanks
John

Elpatoloco
11-24-2022, 03:29 AM
I dont load for .223/5.56 anymore. When I did it was for 3 guns. Me and my boys. Lake city brass is what I used and never had any longevity issues. Starline is what I'd go with these days if I didnt have a pile of LC laying around

Fitz
11-24-2022, 07:26 AM
with your adjustable gas block tune it to eject at 4:00 o-clock and your brass will do just fine , and with the 1 in 14 twist that should be perfect for powder coated cast bullets .

sundog
11-24-2022, 11:02 AM
John, recently helped a friend put together an upper with a 12 twist White Oak Armament match barrel and adjustable gas block. Turned out to be a nice rig. Very good quality barrel, also.

It shoots this load just fine:
LC02 - LC10 brass
#41 primers
NOE 225-55 FN GC'd (Gators) PC'd (Smoke's clear) Dressed weight 62 gr
22.0 gr/surplus 846
OAL 2.170
Est vel ~ 2250

I'm sure a little further test will easily find some comparable loads. Shooting cast, that barrel ought to about last 'forever'.

Brass catcher: I really like the Brass Goat.

Texas by God
11-24-2022, 11:14 AM
That barrel will let the .223 Remington be all that it can be varmint cartridge wise. It should handle cast well also. My 1-14" twist 22-250 sure did.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
11-24-2022, 11:25 AM
Make sure you hit those pop cans pretty hard.
I've heard they will 'moon' you, or flip ya off as they drag off their wounded.

For me, .223 brass is so plentiful or cheap, I never bothered chasing them down if they run off and hide in the grass.
I lean toward USGI surplus, but don't know how long they last without a split.
I don't recall one ever splitting and I never bother to anneal them either.

sundog
11-24-2022, 11:39 AM
Make sure you hit those pop cans pretty hard.
I've heard they will 'moon' you, or flip ya off as they drag off their wounded.

All the more reason for having one of those evil black 'assault' rifles -- the quick follow up shots :-P

Larry Gibson
11-24-2022, 12:06 PM
Use the RCBS X-Die [standard one is best. AR and SB only if you have a tight, minimal spec match chamber] and those cases will last for many, many firings w/o any case trimming being necessary.

Frosty Boolit
11-24-2022, 05:37 PM
Lake city is my preferred brass in .223, plentiful and durable. I have also found pmc to last awhile. Federal usually gets loose primer pockets after a couple firings. Beware any topbrass "processed" stuff. The pockets were cut so deep that they would not even hold a primer on some and you could push the primers in by thumb on others. Contacted the company and never heard back.

Tripplebeards
11-24-2022, 05:43 PM
Lake city virgin brass is my go to. They do runs every so often. Think the last time was $114 or so per thousand. That what I use in my POF with ridiculous accuracy. First time ladder testing with a Timney trigger I shot all in the same hole at 100 yards and a .3” group at 200 yards. Using 25 grains of varget and a 60 grain Hornady Vmax.. Its my goto coyote load.

jonp
11-24-2022, 05:51 PM
Outside of Lake City I have found Starline the best. Unless you load to the redline most should work for multiple loadings

ShooterAZ
11-24-2022, 05:52 PM
Lake City brass is what I use in my 1/12 twist White Oak Armament AR15. I was fortunate enough to lay in a good stash of once fired brass from a VS member here. I use the Speer 52 grain "Varmint" bullet with H335 and it is a sure winner on varmints. The Sierra 52 grain Match shoots just a little better, but doesn't give the explosive results that the 52 Gr Speer bullet does. And as Larry says, the RCBS X dies will extend the life of your brass significantly.

ebb
11-25-2022, 03:30 PM
Lapua is probably the best or close to it but they have suspended production to much of their line of brass. i don't know if 223 was one of the lines that was suspended. The new American made brass is rumored to be as good as Lapua. Peterson, ADG, Starline and others are the ones I speak of. RWS is said to be better than Lapua but more money and Lapua is pricey.

imashooter2
11-25-2022, 06:01 PM
I load Lake City, Winchester or Remington, however I load them 6 times and toss them. .223 brass is ubiquitous on the ground at most ranges. I see no point in buying new or taking great pains to preserve it.

BLAHUT
11-25-2022, 06:15 PM
StarLine or IMI has held up the best across the board, depending on gun and cartage, IMI held up the best in the M1A in.308. Remington held up the best in the 6 x 22-250 match gun. Federal is soft brass and primer pockets get loose fast. If you are just shooting close, what kind may not matter much till you get out a ways??