PDA

View Full Version : Shooting off a lock

shooter575
01-17-2006, 01:37 PM
We have allways seen in the movies some one shooting off a lock.I have wondered about that.Anyway I found this link to a guy that did some testing.Nice pics to boot.

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot5.htm

Dutch4122
01-17-2006, 01:44 PM
Interesting info. Thanks for the link. :)

fourarmed
01-17-2006, 02:01 PM
My late brother called his 1895 Marlin "The Locksmith." I won't go into why, but a 420 grain cast bullet at 1800 will open most padlocks.

felix
01-17-2006, 03:42 PM
A 25 caliber, 87 grainer, soft nose at about 2400, will take the lock off. Speed is not desirable for this application, nor is a heavy boolit. ... felix

Frank46
01-18-2006, 03:35 AM
Didn't marlin have a ad in the gun magazines when the 444 was introduced whereby they shot through a lock?. Frank

fourarmed
01-18-2006, 01:15 PM
I remember seeing a W'by ad where they shot a padlock with a .3?? and blew the hell out of it. I think it copied a Master Padlock ad where they shot one with a .30-'06 and it was still locked.

KCSO
01-18-2006, 02:22 PM
Thats not how you shoot a lock off. You shoot from the hasp straight down into the top of the lock body. Done that way even a 9 mm will do the job most of the time.

waksupi
01-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Thats not how you shoot a lock off. You shoot from the hasp straight down into the top of the lock body. Done that way even a 9 mm will do the job most of the time.

I agree, I've shot several locks off this way. One, was the gate into one of the local judges property. I had some business to do in there, and when I called him, he said just shoot it off. The road was next to a fishing access, and I got some rather shocked looks when I blew that one off with the Colt Government. Apparently local LEO's got a call on it, and they were as unconcerned about it, as the judge and I were. A deputy had to respond of course, so we stood around the cabin BS'n for half an hour, until he finally got a call for something important.

Gunload Master
01-18-2006, 08:59 PM
This gives me a new idea for a section on Gunloads. That's a neat idea. Plus it gives me another reason to shoot stuff :)

wills
01-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I agree, I've shot several locks off this way. One, was the gate into one of the local judges property. I had some business to do in there, and when I called him, he said just shoot it off. The road was next to a fishing access, and I got some rather shocked looks when I blew that one off with the Colt Government. Apparently local LEO's got a call on it, and they were as unconcerned about it, as the judge and I were. A deputy had to respond of course, so we stood around the cabin BS'n for half an hour, until he finally got a call for something important.

He was prolly waitin' fer y'all to break out the doughnuts.

(Apologies to our esteemed colleagues.)

waksupi
01-18-2006, 11:25 PM
He was prolly waitin' fer y'all to break out the doughnuts.

(Apologies to our esteemed colleagues.)

The deputy was a good friend of mine, so I offered him something somewhat more sociable. No doubt, highly frowned upon, in more civilized climes.