PDA

View Full Version : Disappointing Gunshow Yesterday

jonp
11-20-2022, 01:20 PM
Went to the pre Thanksgiving Dixie Classic. First off there was a marked decrease in crowds and people seemed glum for some reason. Few buyers of any firearms or little else. Less venders than at any show I've been to over the years and very little reloading stuff. What little was there was mostly overpriced even in this marked and the prices were all over the place. I watched one guy pay $47 for a pound of H110 when the table next to it had it for $40. IMR4064 priced at $425 8lb keg. I did see a pound of Shooters World for $30, not bad but the Buffalo Rifle was $40. Cheapest primers I found were $9 for Unis Genex, SP. Wanted to try them so bought 100. Others ranged from $12-$18/100. Saw one guy trying to get $200 for 1,000 Gold Medal. I did not see anyone buying powder at all. None. As far as I could tell, no-one bit on the primers except me for 100. Probably others but no 1,000 boxes. Saw only one person buy a firearm and he had 2 both shotguns for rabbit hunting. Used with wood. No AR sales. Venders I normally saw were not there. Lots of perfume, knives, massage lotions other nonsense.

Found a couple of tables with some dies but nothing you couldn't get online, I think. Used very little but did see some odd ones like Sharps and such. One table had a box of used moulds and mostly rusted handles, all Lee. Single cavity and a couple of gang moulds but for mini balls and specialty. Nothing I was interested in. Couple of Lee Loaders for $5 but when I opened the boxes one had parts missing and the others were rusted up. No reloading presses except a couple of Lee's you can get online.

Just a strange experience all around. I think people in the last several years have bought themselves out and the prices for powder and primers if the dealers can get them have priced people right out of the market. The 2 largest powder dealers I used to see at every show were not there. The space on the back wall one used to be in was taken over by a hat and shirt seller.

kerplode
11-20-2022, 01:38 PM
I think we've finally reached a point where inflation and rising rates are causing widespread demand destruction. The LSG where I work part time has seen a sharp decrease in sales over the last month and several long standing small businesses in this historically fairly recession-proof town have gone under.

Unfortunately, this is the desired effect of the Fed's actions and what is required to actually reduce inflation long term. When people finally stop buying on a wide scale, prices will come down. It's just the beginning and it's gonna be slow and painful though. Expect a moderate recession and increased unemployment in the next 6 months and plan accordingly.

Baltimoreed
11-20-2022, 02:18 PM
I went by Mackeys on the way home from my monthly cas shoot at Manns Harbor, NC. I didn’t wander around the store, just ran in to get some headed decapping pins which thankfully he had. They had very limited powder at 45-48 a lb. Also a limited amount of projectiles. I didn’t look down the ammo aisle. Plenty of new guns on the walls and handguns in the cases. I didn’t even ask about primers. Imo they are very overpriced, always have been. Not very many used guns. I’ve bought reloading supplies from them but never a firearm. When I was in the market for a .22 Springfield M2 they had two. Both were rough, I bought a nicer one off GB for much less. Guess they figure that the Raleigh/Triangle crowd going to their summer beach places have deep pockets.

jonp
11-20-2022, 02:32 PM
yes, didn't mention the ammo. Plenty of ammo for whatever you were shooting but at the elevated prices. Guys still sitting on $125 buckets of .22 Rem Golden Bullets I bought at WalMart for less than $80. Still have a couple I bought for $49

Jedman
11-20-2022, 03:02 PM
That’s the depressing news today about the gun shows. I may plan on getting one table at a local show in mid December. I usual do pretty good with sales because I sell things for what I would like to pay for them and had many sales to other table holders whom are willing to sit on something for years thinking some dummy with too much money is going to pay a crazy price. I quit driving long distances to find that 2/3’s of the tables have non gun related junk on them. I like antique guns, especially single shots and last year drove about 80 miles one way to a show that was advertised as a antique gun show and was supposed to be 800 tables. Once I payed to get in the table holders were only using 1/4 of the space of the large room they were in. Disappointing, only a small percent of the tables even had a true antique gun or related material on them and once I made one pass I decided to go through and count the tables, 170 was it !
The promoters of this antique gun show had another gun show in another hall in the same building that required paying a second entrance fee to get in. Talk about greed, even if they would have combined the 2 shows in one hall it would not have been close to the 800 table “ Biggest show in Michigan “ that they advertised the antique show was to be. I just left and vowed I would never go back.
Now I just go to a local show that has about 100 + tables but they are always full and not near the junk dealers.

Jedman

fc60
11-20-2022, 03:05 PM
Greetings,

I visited the Centralia, WA Goon Show yesterday.

Primers still high ($120/1000); but, cheaper than buying from online sellers. No HAZMAT nor shipping nor tax to deal with.

Powder is starting to reappear. Prices ranged from $35 to $50 a pound. Quite a few 8# jugs of both rifle and pistol powder.

I got lucky. Bought a large ladle, about 6" across, for $20.

The next table had a plentiful supply of the obsolete Hornady 45 cal 185 grain jacketed semi wadcutters for $20/100.

Looking to returning in January 2023.

Cheers,

Dave

gc45
11-20-2022, 03:08 PM
Guns in general have faded so much in quality now as makers strive for cheaper production firearms. Anything carbon steel has faded in handguns, rifles have cheap stocks, poor finishes and reduced craftsmanship all around. Not 100% mind you but much of what we see meets my thoughts. Shooters in general are not rich folks, we reload to save costs, we scrounge where possible but where I live they have stopped selling recycled lead to anyone shipping it to the few smelters left in America or to China. America is being forced to change by globalism and the greenies who are running the show now and why they hate Trump IMO..In general, I can buy factory 9mm and a few others if paying ridiculous prices but no primers, powder or brass cases. No primers is slowly collapsing everyone in the gun world, it is the mainstay of the industry, without them we are doomed and the World knows it. This will continue as long as these idiots keep voting for Dems, including the many gun owners who also vote left. The lack of the Red Wave proves my point. I think Dems would starve before voting for the right..

buckwheatpaul
11-20-2022, 03:17 PM
Worked a gun show as a strapper of weapons being brought in yesterdat.....I strapped a lot of guns and since I sat at the only exit I saw a lot of ammo and weapons go out. I got to the age that a lot of interest in buying in minimal. The crowd was good but there was virtually no reloading anything available. I think it was a good show overall. Lots of AR's and black rifles as well as Henry's.....to me there were more rifles than handguns and shotguns came in last for sheer numbers. The venders and customers were very relaxed and cordial.

Winger Ed.
11-20-2022, 03:36 PM
I pretty much quit going to the gun shows around the DFW area a long time ago.
They have evolved into nothing but over priced flea market trash.
Any guns you saw were so expensive, nobody but a fleeing felon would pay the prices for them.

Most vendors would have one or two junk rifles they didn't intend to sell anyway on a table of
crap like used garage sale tools and fake Indian jewelry made in China.

jonp
11-20-2022, 04:37 PM
I didn't mention the optics. One business was there as usual selling the chinese junk and that's all. I've bought a couple to test out and they seemed to hold up ok but you would never confuse the sight quality with a Leopold or even a Tasco. I bought one for an AR to try that has multiple reticles and green plus red. Seems to be holding up pretty well for the money I paid.

One table that is always there sells Osprey. I bought one and will not recommend them to anyone. Not impressed at all.

A different business was there that sells higher end optics like Trijicon, Nightforce, US Optics, Zeiss etc. His prices didn't look elevated to me from before the crunch but I don't spend much time on that as it's over my price.

I'm still depressed Nikon exited the market as I've had great luck with their scopes and binocs. Wanted an African for my 416 but none to be had so got a Leopold Pig Hunter 3 post which was pretty close. Very satisfied with it. Wrote about the binocs here before I think. Took to Africa on safari and others had Zeiss, Swarovski etc that cost many times mine. As people do we swapped around to try others out and they were amazed at how good the Nikons were. I really couldn't tell the difference and neither could they. Of course the same people were dressed out in brand new Patagonia, North Face, Mountain Hardware etc while I had on my trusty LLBean actually used outside at home and all over the world. Guess who stayed dry and warm climbing Kilimanjaro? Thrifty Yankee to the end I guess, lol.

G W Wade
11-20-2022, 05:09 PM
To me gun shows are just a place wander around and visit with friends during the winter months GW

atr
11-20-2022, 05:12 PM
I stay away from gun shows. Nothing I have ever seen at a gun show was priced in a reasonable way. And I reject the idea that someone can buy supplies when they are cheap and then turn around and try to sell them to me at a inflated price. I will stop shooting rather than give in to that kind of price gauging.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving all
atr

Handloader109
11-20-2022, 05:16 PM
We started to go to the Wanamaker show in Tulsa a couple of weeks ago, but bailed. Didn't need anything, and just didn't feel like spending $20 to get in,$10 for tolls to get there and a $40 odd dollars for gas. Figured that money could go towards a Ruger mkIV which I got this week. I've still got more powder than I'll probably ever use, and a goodly number of primers.

I figure that prices will start slowly coming down as our economy sinks next year.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

BLAHUT
11-20-2022, 05:25 PM
For me gun shows = junk shows. Never go any more.

jsizemore
11-20-2022, 05:37 PM
I think that was Kenzie Optics with the high end and some thermal. I got a hundred of the Unis SPP and SRP to test @ $9/100. I did get a lb. of Shooters World Precision for a friend and myself to see what's all the noise about it in the Creedmoor's. $53/lb and $410/8lb jug. I saw the SW AR rifle powder for $30/lb. I saw those rusty dies for the D series RCBS cartridges. The fella selling the Lee molds wanted $35 for a smoked and rusty 45-70 2 cavity. $9 to get in and half an hour to find parking at the fairgrounds. There was the flea market, a coin show, cheerleader competition, and a horse show. Almost forgot the Korean foodfest. Blue Ridge road had a detour around the fairgrounds added to the traffic fun. At least nobody was making a left. Not the least attended show, but awful close.

deces
11-20-2022, 05:43 PM
I remember going to funshows in the 90's as a teen. Wow, what a totally different scene that what it is today. There actually use to be military surplus of all kinds, everywhere. I should have bought boxes of AK bayonets when they were at $5-6 each.
I can barely even find AR stripper clip spoons anymore it seems.
Now it's just boring ARs and fud guns, the SKS even is becoming a rare find.
The last score I had was an like new Aerial bayonet for $45.

racepres
11-20-2022, 05:47 PM
That’s the depressing news today about the gun shows. I may plan on getting one table at a local show in mid December. I usual do pretty good with sales because I sell things for what I would like to pay for them and had many sales to other table holders whom are willing to sit on something for years thinking some dummy with too much money is going to pay a crazy price. I quit driving long distances to find that 2/3’s of the tables have non gun related junk on them. I like antique guns, especially single shots and last year drove about 80 miles one way to a show that was advertised as a antique gun show and was supposed to be 800 tables. Once I payed to get in the table holders were only using 1/4 of the space of the large room they were in. Disappointing, only a small percent of the tables even had a true antique gun or related material on them and once I made one pass I decided to go through and count the tables, 170 was it !
The promoters of this antique gun show had another gun show in another hall in the same building that required paying a second entrance fee to get in. Talk about greed, even if they would have combined the 2 shows in one hall it would not have been close to the 800 table “ Biggest show in Michigan “ that they advertised the antique show was to be. I just left and vowed I would never go back.
Now I just go to a local show that has about 100 + tables but they are always full and not near the junk dealers.

Jedman
Where is this smaller show you speak of please..
We Have a Fun little show over in Hesperia.. really small but fun... much too far of a Drive for you however..

Frosty Boolit
11-20-2022, 05:50 PM
I don't like paying to get in and find a bunch of rubbish. But I have pulled a couple real nice s&w .38 specials that are older than me out of my local shows. They are excellent and some of my favorites.

DougGuy
11-20-2022, 05:58 PM
I'm glad I bought all the crap I'm gonna use for a while before all the dumb **** started. I've been sitting on brass, primers, powder, bullets for 300BO this was the last round of adding a new caliber that I did a couple years ago. I have bare minimum enough to last me for a while of primers and powder, just siting on it, scared to shoot it up.

I actually have some great memories of gun shows in Virginia, tables full of old Colts, bins full to overflowing of milsurp 1911 parts, vintage magazines, barrels, on and on and on. I think I value those memories more than I value the disappointment of seeing the condition of present day gun shows.

Ithaca Gunner
11-20-2022, 06:16 PM
Yes, they sure have changed. I used to go a lot and come back with powder, primers, bullets, ammo, and often parts. Now I go to one or two a year, only when my brother needs an advisor. He drives, pays my way in and springs for lunch. I do go to two anual sportsman's club flea markets/swap sales. Just members selling off stuff they no longer use at fair prices. I still find bargains there. Lately I've bought most of my guns at these meets.

stubshaft
11-20-2022, 06:35 PM
Usually, I pay more for parking and entrance fees than I do at the show itself. There are only two a year in my neck of the woods and the last one in October was as usual focused on tactitards and black rifles or vendors selling cheap, crap knives. I did manage to snag a couple of items from some estate sellers, but usually go to socialize with my friends.

1Hawkeye
11-20-2022, 08:27 PM
The nations gun show in Va this weekend wasn't any better bbq sauce,t shirts,videos,chinese ar15 parts & optics and a lot of way over retail priced guns. I found one dealer who was actually selling reloading supplies for about msrp rather than the arm and leg sucker pricing of everyone else in the place. I have to agree for me its a social event than anything else.

Big Tom
11-20-2022, 08:50 PM
The local gun shows aren't that exciting anymore. No mil surplus, skyhigh prices, too many non-firearm related sellers with Chinese junk. The only positive development in the last two years was local knife smiths showing up with their collections. Some really beautiful knifes, but most of them out of my (price) league :-) Still fun to go and see some nice firearms, but not more than once, maybe twice a year for me.

jonp
11-20-2022, 09:03 PM
I think that was Kenzie Optics with the high end and some thermal. I got a hundred of the Unis SPP and SRP to test @ $9/100. I did get a lb. of Shooters World Precision for a friend and myself to see what's all the noise about it in the Creedmoor's. $53/lb and $410/8lb jug. I saw the SW AR rifle powder for $30/lb. I saw those rusty dies for the D series RCBS cartridges. The fella selling the Lee molds wanted $35 for a smoked and rusty 45-70 2 cavity. $9 to get in and half an hour to find parking at the fairgrounds. There was the flea market, a coin show, cheerleader competition, and a horse show. Almost forgot the Korean foodfest. Blue Ridge road had a detour around the fairgrounds added to the traffic fun. At least nobody was making a left. Not the least attended show, but awful close.

We saw the cheerleaders but could not find the coinshow. Maybe it was over by the horse barn? Wife at that point had enough of the crowd as did i so we left. Never asked a price for the moulds as they were in rough shape. For what you say he wanted id have laughed at him anyways.

jsizemore
11-20-2022, 09:42 PM
It was in the Hoishouser building right by Blue Ridge and the entrance to the flea market that's now closed to us common folks. I saw the molds in their boxes and a 2'x2' box with a bunch of molds laying loose. There were a few round ball molds looked interesting but the all the molds (close 60-70) looked like he didn't care about them. The slug molds were beat up. I struck up a conversation with a fella that was looking to cast for a new falling block rifle. I told him to slug the barrel and order what he needed from Accurate. After dropping that kind of coin, what's a custom mold?

Jedman
11-20-2022, 10:33 PM
racepres, The small show I was speaking of is the Ann Arbor show but it has nothing to do with Ann Arbor.
It is held at the Washtenaw Co. fairgrounds in Saline, MI . The next show is Dec. 10-11 it’s a $ 5 entrance.

Jedman

GhostHawk
11-20-2022, 10:39 PM
I have to admit I was thinking about buying some .22lr as the prices have dropped fairly well on ammoseek.

Then remembered a bucket I stashed in the basement 15 years ago. Dug 1400 rounds of copper plated Hollow Points in 100 round boxes. All Win super x or CCI mini mags.

Decided with those on top of my already healthy stash I did not need any more.

LGS seldom get looked at by me. Cheaper and easier to buy online have it shipped to my door.

dverna
11-21-2022, 12:10 AM
Like others, I remember the good old days of 25+ years ago.

Have not been to a gun show in 3+ years.

Dinny
11-21-2022, 01:10 AM
The last gun show I went to was quite literally THE LAST ONE I will ever go to. I asked one old codger if he had any more of the Hornady 100gr 6.5 SP bullets under the table. He said, no. Then he told me someone else came by and bought the other three boxes he had earlier in the day but was $5 short so he couldn't buy the fourth box. The boxes looked to be made in the 80s and he had them labeled $45 each. Now, who in their right mind would refuse to take $40 for the last box when he got $45 for each other box?

I sold a 1000ct box of CCI 450s to one vendor for $60 and bought a can of BH209 with it. No change given..

uscra112
11-21-2022, 03:48 AM
Living in SE Michigan from 1993 was gunshow heaven for a while. Used to hit every one, even as far as Muncie and South Bend. The auto industry supports a lot of toolmakers whose avocation is guns. But by 2005 it was apparent that all the good antiques and vintage guns were migrating to the Internet. In 2009 I retired to SE Ohio, no shows here anything like Birch Run or Novi, and I was too busy anyway, fixing the old house. Then my back started to go. Then the KungFlu epidemic. All my browsing is on the Internet now, except a couple of treasures found at estate auctions.

Shawlerbrook
11-21-2022, 06:18 AM
Unfortunately, like many things gunshows are not what they used to be. That said, there are some that are good and even though you might have to look harder, I still enjoy going.

Cast10
11-21-2022, 08:55 AM
My town had one this weekend, I went yesterday. It was decent. Pricing was on par for ammo for today’s prices. A few primers and powder at the usual high pricing. As everything else in these time, mostly high.

A new ‘knack’ was a guy and his wife making Kydex holsters to fit your gun. Had the outer shell already made up with colored graphics of all kinds. I thought that was neat. Holsters were around the 40-60 range.

Glad we still have them.

Thumbcocker
11-21-2022, 09:12 AM
Gunshows are on the way out. Online sales are a factor. Quality of current guns is a factor. The elephant in the room is that shooters are aging and dying. Most older shooters have all the guns they want and fewer younger shooters are coming in. Hunter numbers are declining all across the U.S. we are fading out guys.

racepres
11-21-2022, 09:26 AM
racepres, The small show I was speaking of is the Ann Arbor show but it has nothing to do with Ann Arbor.
It is held at the Washtenaw Co. fairgrounds in Saline, MI . The next show is Dec. 10-11 it’s a $ 5 entrance.

Jedman
Thank You Friend... Prolly be a decent little get together...however they have conspired on us...The Hesperia show same date!!
Oh Well maybe Next time...
If ya get a Chance.. Please give a Report.. Thanks Again

LOL
Just checked and it is like 200 miles between them... Wow Not for a Gun Show...

Jedman
11-21-2022, 09:51 AM
Living in SE Michigan from 1993 was gunshow heaven for a while. Used to hit every one, even as far as Muncie and South Bend. The auto industry supports a lot of toolmakers whose avocation is guns. But by 2005 it was apparent that all the good antiques and vintage guns were migrating to the Internet. In 2009 I retired to SE Ohio, no shows here anything like Birch Run or Novi, and I was too busy anyway, fixing the old house. Then my back started to go. Then the KungFlu epidemic. All my browsing is on the Internet now, except a couple of treasures found at estate auctions.

The Novi show was the antique show I referred to in a earlier post and it was a joke. $15 entrance to get in $14 if you printed a coupon and we’re a senior, Suppose to be 800 tables, Maybe 20 years ago……..
I will not ever go there again.

Jedman

JoeJames
11-21-2022, 10:24 AM
My cousin had three tables at the last local gun show in September. I helped him out and managed to sell a K98K BNZ43 and a WW2 Navy issue KaBar for a bit of change more than I had in them. Bought both 30 years ago. Got a pound of IMR4895 for $40, and a TISAS 1911A1 in trade. So it was a fine show as far as I was concerned. About 80 tables at the show.

uscra112
11-21-2022, 11:48 AM
@jedman - It didn't used to be that way, but I think 2008 was the last one I attended. Novi was just 10 miles from my office, so it cost me ~nothing in gas money. I cannot recall buying but one gun there, a near-mint Bay State in .32 Long Colt, but it was fun to walk and observe anyway.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-21-2022, 12:23 PM
Sadly, I haven't been to a gun show in about 8 years. Closest I get is my once-a-month trip to the La Pine Bi-Mart. I was there two days ago and they had lots of guns (all new, retail of course) and the ammo shelves are full again at about double the pre-shortage prices. I asked the clerk "Still no primers and powder?" "No primers, but I do have some powder." I went around to the other side of the island and he showed me 5 lbs., all different, never heard of any of them! The prices were o.k., but nothing I had any load data for. I did buy 2 boxes of Belom 7.62x39mm made in Serbia, 20 round boxes, NC/FMJ for $9.99 each.

DG

jonp
11-21-2022, 07:40 PM
It was in the Hoishouser building right by Blue Ridge and the entrance to the flea market that's now closed to us common folks. I saw the molds in their boxes and a 2'x2' box with a bunch of molds laying loose. There were a few round ball molds looked interesting but the all the molds (close 60-70) looked like he didn't care about them. The slug molds were beat up. I struck up a conversation with a fella that was looking to cast for a new falling block rifle. I told him to slug the barrel and order what he needed from Accurate. After dropping that kind of coin, what's a custom mold?

I pawed through that box of loose moulds. Most were in rough shape it seemed to me. Never asked a price.

john.k
11-23-2022, 07:44 PM
All the shows are like this......vintage bike swaps,car swaps,gun shows.........same traders ,same Chinese bric a brac,bit of car junk at high prices ,nothing of any value.......parking charges ,entry charges , forget it........One bike swap was advertized as "definitely nothing but bikes this year".......same traders with import junk.....I fronted the organizers....and its "they cut a separate deal with the venue owners"

bisleyfan41
11-23-2022, 08:36 PM
Gunshows are on the way out. Online sales are a factor. Quality of current guns is a factor. The elephant in the room is that shooters are aging and dying. Most older shooters have all the guns they want and fewer younger shooters are coming in. Hunter numbers are declining all across the U.S. we are fading out guys.

Well that's depressing. Can't say you're wrong though.

elmacgyver0
11-23-2022, 08:51 PM
Last gunshow I went to I had over 2 grand in cash in my pocket.
When I left, I had over 2 grand in cash in my pocket.
I really wanted to buy a 45-70 with a threaded barrel, whether it be a Henry or Marlin.
I saw a couple Henrys in 22LR but that was it.

Hickok
11-24-2022, 09:58 AM
Not worth the effort for me anymore.

Tables full of nick-nacks, trinket junk, and Chinese mystery-metal pocket and Rambo knives.

jsizemore
11-24-2022, 11:57 AM
All the shows are like this......vintage bike swaps,car swaps,gun shows.........same traders ,same Chinese bric a brac,bit of car junk at high prices ,nothing of any value.......parking charges ,entry charges , forget it........One bike swap was advertized as "definitely nothing but bikes this year".......same traders with import junk.....I fronted the organizers....and its "they cut a separate deal with the venue owners"

The shows held on our state fairgrounds are part of the State Agriculture Department and they set the price of entry fees. They mandate security which has to be from law enforcement (state, county, city) and their overtime payment goes into a common fund that is doled out according to the department heads discretion. This is for all the "special events".

The flea market part is up for annual bid by private individuals and whoever wins sets the price per vendor and the state roams around and collects payment. They just gotta hope enough vendors show up to make the bid amount or pay out of pocket. The security force is near retirement highway patrol. If their golf cart can't keep up with the bad guys it's bye bye stuff. They're there to settle disputes not haul anybody to jail. Most times there's enough good folks around to back them up.

pmer
11-26-2022, 02:04 PM
I went to a local one last night and found one 8 oz can of SR7625 for 10 bucks and snatched it up.

I have trouble parting with money for firearms unless the right 16 or 20 gauge side by side comes along. There was a Spanish 20 ga sxs that was full / full that almost got me but I didn't buy it.

Reg
11-26-2022, 08:12 PM
I like the little small town gunshows but the last one I was at two weeks ago several of the bigger dealers didn’t show up for whatever reason so at the last minute to get someone to even show up they made the entry fee a free will offering. I hope this does not become a trend.
Oh yes. The Chinese junk dealers did manage to make it!

.45Cole
12-02-2022, 11:13 PM
I went to the Tanner in Denver a week or so ago and it was pretty sad. Used to go to it and it was over an acre of tables with mainly guys getting a table to clean out stuff and people wondering around trying to sell/trade stuff. I would stock up on bullets, powder and stuff and trade stuff I had extra of.
Now it's young people milling about over tables of new guns and ammo from Walmart marked up %. Primers at $12-$18/100 and powder at $60/can. All the tags have "rare" on them and all the old guns are pretty messed up but they tell me how rare they are and collector desirable they are (like a run of the mill .348 from the 50's that was "long tang"). If I ask them on low dollar on some powder they tell me their cost is only $10 less, but then they get snippy if I offer to sell them powder for $15 under their asking price.

I overheard a guy at a table telling another table he hasn't sold one thing! You should price so that everything except one has sold at the end of the show. Some economics classes are needed at the shows. Knives, jewelry, junk, candy at half the tables. At $15 admission fee and $250/table IIRC the ones getting rich are the sponsors.

john.k
12-03-2022, 08:06 PM
Its all about "flipping " if youre under 35.........guys buy stuff they have no need or interest in to 'flip" it ,either on ebay ,or at a flea market or swapmeet..........IMHO ,mobile phones and the net .....every millenial is an expert on the current price of anything and everything........I think someone once said "They know the price of everything ,and the value of nothing"

uscra112
12-03-2022, 08:45 PM
When prices go down, flippers will get their comeuppance!

Bent Ramrod
12-04-2022, 11:26 AM
For me, gun shows are an opportunity to add to the database of how unusual, how interesting, and how the price of my own findings has appreciated. I like to look at guns and gun stuff the way others like to look at minerals, or cars, or plays or operas. Or sit and gamble at some table or slot machine.

The kind of stuff I used to buy just to “justify” going to an otherwise sterile show (a brick of .22s, a bag of shells, a can of powder, a box of primers) has now mostly priced itself out of my interest range, and the tables full of tactical-schmactical stuff and AR “uppers” and “lowers” and other accessories don’t interest me. Still, you just never know what will show itself.

I have a mental list of parts, tools and books that I’m looking for, plus an open category of “anything cool.” In that respect, the shows are like a placer gold claim that’s been worked for 50 years. I might not get more than a nice day of panning exercise out of it, in an agreeable location, but every now and then, there’s a nugget or even an occasional hot streak. This year, for instance, has been noteworthy for incomplete barreled single-shot actions, and at old-time low prices, too. I enjoy playing around in the shop, getting such wrecks back into shooting condition. Buying something like that On Line; bidding against everyone else (and some bots), and going through the ordeal of sending it back when the sellers’ written description and fuzzy photographs have been deceptive, would sour me for all subsequent deals. And has, come to think of it. Whereas, being the only one at the show that knows the true value of whatever I’m looking at, is all kinds of fun.

So I guess I’ll keep attending. People won’t go with me, because, as they say, “I looked all through one and couldn’t find a left-handed safety for my Les Baer 1911. What a waste of time and money; I’ll never go again.” Such people are better served by gun stores and the Internet.