PDA

View Full Version : BP Granulation for ML

Shawrco
11-17-2022, 03:57 PM
Been away from this forum for a while. Waiting for a new to me Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal to arrive. Been gathering up my supplies to make smoke. Had on hand a supply of powder from BPCR days. No questions about the 2F/3F, just wondering about the Wano PP, Swiss 1-1/2F and Cartridge usefulness in a 50 cal ML. If memory serves, I think the PP is same as FF granulation. Not sure where the Cartridge fits in. Thanks in advance.

indian joe
11-17-2022, 04:36 PM
Been away from this forum for a while. Waiting for a new to me Thompson Center Hawken 50 cal to arrive. Been gathering up my supplies to make smoke. Had on hand a supply of powder from BPCR days. No questions about the 2F/3F, just wondering about the Wano PP, Swiss 1-1/2F and Cartridge usefulness in a 50 cal ML. If memory serves, I think the PP is same as FF granulation. Not sure where the Cartridge fits in. Thanks in advance.

I bet you get more velocity from the same weight of swiss than wano and guess goex in the middle

freakonaleash
11-17-2022, 05:33 PM
It will all work. Try it all, your gun will let you know what it likes.

megasupermagnum
11-17-2022, 08:57 PM
It will all work. Try it all, your gun will let you know what it likes.

Absolutely. 1F through 4F all work just fine in nearly anything. Yes, even 4F. Goex Cartridge is supposed to be close to 1.5F, and it is a good choice here. One nice thing about muzzleloaders vs a BPCR is there is no space constraint. Even if 70gr powder X shoots a little faster than 70 gr powder Y, there is nothing stopping you from loading 80gr powder Y, or 90, or more.

Shawrco
12-07-2022, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the replies. The rifle has arrived and I'm working on giving it an initial cleanup, then off to the range!

DaveM
12-11-2022, 11:42 AM
I generally use 3Fg in my .50s but 2Fg will work fine as well, with less velocity and more fouling per equivalent volumetric charge.

Anything coarser than 2Fg will be safe but unlikely to provide optimal performance, but of course you'll never know for certain unless you try it. 4Fg should be reserved for priming flintlocks, or if you know what you're doing, loading cap and ball revolvers. (4Fg is closer to 19th Century sporting grade powder which was often loaded in combustible revolver cartridges in the 19th Century.)