PDA

View Full Version : Updated Cast bullet reloading books.

Rickf1985
11-16-2022, 11:55 AM
I am wondering what you guys are using for updated data on cast reloading. I have several Lymans cast books including the latest 4th edition but none of the latest ones I have cover the newer powders and all of the powders that are recommended in the books are no longer available. Unique, Bullseye, 5744. The old stand-buys are gone. If not gone then so hard to find or so expensive as to make it the same thing. So what are you using besides "internet expert opinions"?

BLAHUT
11-16-2022, 12:00 PM
I am wondering what you guys are using for updated data on cast reloading. I have several Lymans cast books including the latest 4th edition but none of the latest ones I have cover the newer powders and all of the powders that are recommended in the books are no longer available. Unique, Bullseye, 5744. The old stand-buys are gone. If not gone then so hard to find or so expensive as to make it the same thing. So what are you using besides "internet expert opinions"?

When I use up what I have of the above listed powders and no more is available, I will use whatever black substitute is available. If none is available, then I will need to look into making my own black.. Just saying

dannyd
11-16-2022, 12:15 PM
You can sub Bullseye with Acc#2, HP-38 or W231 and Unique with Acc #5 but 5744 that may be the hardest to sub for. Too Me that's a good cast bullet rifle powder (5744) and I have about 5 lbs left going to have to check out what would be an available sub.

rockrat
11-16-2022, 12:29 PM
Shooters World Buffalo Rifle for 5744.

mdi
11-16-2022, 01:19 PM
Is there a 5th Edition Lyman? I supplement my cast data with a Hodgdon and Lee manuals, some loads listed are for generic lead bullets...

Bazoo
11-16-2022, 01:24 PM
Just about any powder will work with cast. I use whatever I can find, then I chase down data.

quilbilly
11-16-2022, 04:00 PM
When 5744 became so hard to find the first time, I started using RE-7 which has worked pretty well in some rifle calibers.

Rickf1985
11-16-2022, 04:31 PM
I understand that people are substituting different powders but where are you getting your data from? And yes, 5744 and Buffalo rifle are one and the same but have you noticed two things, One is the price change on both and two is the availability of both. Hence why I brought this up. Both of those powders, when you can find them, have more than doubled in price in a year. I am all for new or substitutes that work but I want PROVEN data. Not Billy-Bobs handloads that worked purty waal fer him! No offense to you guys that take just any powder and make it work but I somehow managed to live to 70 against all odds and I figure it might be a good time to try to continue living now. So I want proven and tested data, in writing.

dannyd
11-16-2022, 04:54 PM
And you can find it I do it all the time.

waksupi
11-17-2022, 12:23 PM
I understand that people are substituting different powders but where are you getting your data from? And yes, 5744 and Buffalo rifle are one and the same but have you noticed two things, One is the price change on both and two is the availability of both. Hence why I brought this up. Both of those powders, when you can find them, have more than doubled in price in a year. I am all for new or substitutes that work but I want PROVEN data. Not Billy-Bobs handloads that worked purty waal fer him! No offense to you guys that take just any powder and make it work but I somehow managed to live to 70 against all odds and I figure it might be a good time to try to continue living now. So I want proven and tested data, in writing.

This board is where they get that loading info! :cbpour:

Bazoo
11-17-2022, 02:02 PM
I take a bullet and measure it from base to crimp groove, then I find a bullet of similar weight and dimension that there is data for.

For a powder for which there is little or no data for my application, I generally avoid it. I use bullseye and unique, titegroup, the usuals. If I had to use something that I couldn’t find data for, I’d be asking about it specifically here and take my chances depending on who posted the info. I keep a notebook anytime I’m researching a powder or bullet and I record the info as well as whom posted it and which forum I got it from. So if you post a load I find interesting, you are recorded in my book as the author!

Loadbooks one bullet one caliber manuals are my go to reference when looking for fresh to me data.

I want to use wsf in 44 special, or special +p, but I cannot find data for it so I just don’t do it. I used it in 45 auto trying to get rid of it and conserve my unique whenever I had a 45 auto. However I am attuned to it and I want to develop loads with it, provided I could find a starting point.

MT Gianni
11-17-2022, 02:43 PM
Many people look at the manuals with no variation. I think it should be looked at as an instruction book of how to work up a load, which powders like full density loads and which might be downloaded. My two most used manuals are Lyman #3 and Lyman 47. Western powders made a great manual and sold it for almost $40. Hornaday bought them and were selling it for $5 and then $0.01. It has a lot of cast information.
If you think you're the person that has to follow things exactly, ask yourself if you ever shot anything in the Lyman manuals that didn't match the alloy or primer.

MT Gianni
11-17-2022, 02:46 PM

Estimates are that it takes 3 years of shooting research to put out a manual. When they do this the Manufacturers of powder donate their products. They don't care if you can find it on the shelf or not.

LST-1185
11-17-2022, 02:46 PM
Quickload. I stopped using manuals about 20 years ago as they were not providing all the information I was looking for.

fredj338
11-17-2022, 07:07 PM
The best is the current Lyman. For new powders you need to learn to extrapolate & that really requires a chrono. Lead bullets will often require a lower powder charge. So using starting jacketed data is totally acceptable. Many of my best powder/bullet combos have no load data. All of my hunting rifles are either wildcats or older cartridges with little to know current data. Case volume, bullet bearing & weight, powder burn rates. These are the tools to understand when going off the books.

Alferd Packer
11-19-2022, 11:21 AM
Too many new shooters attempt reloading without ever seeing a reloading manual.
They just look on here and ask for loads .
There happen to be some trolls that give made up loads that can hurt you and blow up firearm.
;est is to get a manual and cautiously reload using THAT INFORMATION.
Be careful.

justindad
11-19-2022, 11:35 AM
…Case volume, bullet bearing & weight, powder burn rates. These are the tools to understand when going off the books.

What do you do with variances in bearing journals?