View Full Version : Bullet Corp Coatings

Thomas918
11-15-2022, 08:15 AM
Here is my final(3rd)coats of Blue and Lime from Bullet Corp coating

306886 306887

This is the first coat before baking

Here is after the first coat bake

Here is after the second coat bake

I really like this coating. Its like Hitek, but it seems like it doesn't flake as easy when seating and is a little more forgiving during the coating process. I used 50% acetone and %50 isopropyl alcohol. It allowed me to swirl for a little over a minute. This coated the bullet very good, and it evened out the coat nicely. The friction of the bullets swirling in the tub and rubbing against eachother brings the pigments out. The blue has a great shine to it and the lime is more matte but has a vivid color.
Since it shipped from South Africa the initial cost was way higher than Hitek, but the 400g I ordered will coat alot of bullets. 33,000 147gr bullets to be exact. Hitek cost is $.00303 per bullet when buying the 3.5oz option. Bullet corp coating when buying the 400g and shipping to the US will be $.00209 per bullet. So it actually ends up being cheaper. I haven't done the math on the bigger sizes for both companies so I don't know where that ends up being.

10sandxs
11-27-2022, 12:11 PM
From a processing perspective, I like BCB as well, but have issues with the darker blues/purple comming out basically black. It does look more like powder than hi-tech. I bought several colors to keep shipping cost lower. Might have a lifetime supply...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Thomas918
11-28-2022, 06:01 AM
From a processing perspective, I like BCB as well, but have issues with the darker blues/purple comming out basically black. It does look more like powder than hi-tech. I bought several colors to keep shipping cost lower. Might have a lifetime supply...

I did notice that the baking temp range is a lot lower than HiTek. I noticed that my lime green came out pretty dark, almost the same color as their (BCB) zombie green. I lowered the temp and baked 2 minutes longer. It helped a lot. My second batch of 500 came out a little bit lighter. I wanna try their teal and turquoise. I like the bright colors. The blue has a great sheen but does come out pretty dark.

Dinny
11-30-2022, 01:50 PM
Why do you apply more than one coating? Could it be applied using the dry tumble method?

Thanks, Dinny

Thomas918
12-01-2022, 02:42 AM
Why do you apply more than one coating? Could it be applied using the dry tumble method?

Thanks, Dinny

It's not a powder coat. It's a powder that is made to be mixed with a solvent like acetone and alcohol for example. It is then swirled in that solution until almost all the solvent evaporates. Then the bullets are poured out onto a wire rack to completely evaporate the solvent. Usually takes 10 minutes and then you bake it in the oven. It is meant to be baked and recoated at least 2-3 times. Just like the process for HiTek coating.

jaysouth
12-04-2022, 11:18 PM
Have you used Powder Coating? Does this BCB coating have any advantages over powder coating. I have done hi-tec but can't figure out why it's better than PC. PC is a one coating process and does not require dangerous chemicals like acetone.

Thomas918
12-04-2022, 11:42 PM
Have you used Powder Coating? Does this BCB coating have any advantages over powder coating. I have done hi-tec but can't figure out why it's better than PC. PC is a one coating process and does not require dangerous chemicals like acetone.

Yes I've used powder coating. Despite having a great coating and strength against leading, I hated it. It didn't coat even enough and added a lot of thickness and since it had different amounts of thickness of each bullet, the oal of each projectile was different. My PC 9mm 147s had a length of .637 to .655. That in my mind is unacceptable and can lead to dangerous overpressure. Not to mention the nose of the bullet is now thicker no matter if you size it smaller or not. That leads to the bullet nose digging into the chamber affecting chambering reliability and function. Now my HiTek bullets I could swirl by the thousand. Lay them out on a tray and walk away. Then bake. It is so much less work. 2-3 coats, it doesn't matter. I'm not sitting there staring at my oven waiting for them to be done. There's **** to be done around the home. Stuff to prime and reload. Then then HiTek coating bullets always measure .635 in length. Always. Acetone isn't that dangerous to work with. If our wives and girlfriends can work with nail polish remover directly on their hand, we can easily swirl some heavy metals in acetone. Yes evaporated acetone isnt safe to inhale in large quantities but at most we are evaporating a few mls for each coat in a large room. Now if you are just powder coating a few rifle rounds it makes sense. But I make thousands of rounds of pistol ammo for competition. I can't PC and just bake in a pile despite what Elvis Ammo and their mom says. Now BCB coating is way better adhering and more resistant to heat than HiTek. I now will only use BCB from now on. After pulling dozens of bullets, the BCB never had a spot of bare lead. While the HiTek was scraping off left and right.

30calshooter
12-06-2022, 04:37 PM
I didn't see this thread for BCB Bullet Coat from South Africa when I started a new thread today. There is very little information on YouTube or online forums, but what I've found seems to indicate that it's easier to apply than Hi-Tec, has better coverage and thermal performance and doesn't stick or clump together during baking. Also has better choice of colors than Hi-Tec. Seems to be quite popular in South Africa and Europe.

https://www.bcbcoating.com

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrGRROMmjtE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMtsG-o3dJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ei8l5JlDWss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ru3RHrqo394

Thomas918
12-07-2022, 12:05 AM
I didn't see this thread for BCB Bullet Coat from South Africa when I started a new thread today. There is very little information on YouTube or online forums, but what I've found seems to indicate that it's easier to apply than Hi-Tec, has better coverage and thermal performance and doesn't stick or clump together during baking. Also has better choice of colors than Hi-Tec. Seems to be quite popular in South Africa and Europe.

https://www.bcbcoating.com

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...5&action=click

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...38&action=view

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...72&action=view

https://video.search.yahoo.com/searc...14&action=view
It's just by accident I stumbled across it. I was watching alot of HiTek and powder coating videos on YouTube lately. In the suggested feed I saw a review on them and an application video. It was by a guy named Kevin B. https://youtu.be/FMtsG-o3dJs that is a link to the video I saw.

Papercidal
12-07-2022, 08:22 PM
I’ve not tried coating with it myself but this summer I ran out of cast bullets and did not have time to cast a batch for match ammo so I bought a couple 500ct boxes from gallant bullets which was apparently when they where transitioning from hi tec to the bcc coating because one box was hi tec coated and the other was bbc (same projectile and sizing from the same manufacturer) and I had a bit of leading in my CZs from the ones with the bcc coating though they really looked great.

Thomas918
12-07-2022, 11:24 PM
I’ve not tried coating with it myself but this summer I ran out of cast bullets and did not have time to cast a batch for match ammo so I bought a couple 500ct boxes from gallant bullets which was apparently when they where transitioning from hi tec to the bcc coating because one box was hi tec coated and the other was bbc (same projectile and sizing from the same manufacturer) and I had a bit of leading in my CZs from the ones with the bcc coating though they really looked great.

I just reloaded 500 that were horribly swaged into badly expanded cases that swaged the base down to .350. I didn't see any leading despite having loads of keyholing bullets on target. I am not sure what the issue could be for you to have leading problems anymore than what HiTec could give you. All I've been shooting have been HiTec and BCB. I've got my swaging problem fixed now

m37
12-09-2022, 11:59 AM
are you guys cleaning the bullets in acetone as per the instructions?

Thomas918
12-09-2022, 05:02 PM
are you guys cleaning the bullets in acetone as per the instructions?

I had been yes.

10sandxs
12-09-2022, 09:26 PM
Nope, coating right after casting

Intel6
12-12-2022, 11:32 AM
I have been using HiTek for years and wanted to try the BCB because of the different color choices. Tried a few colors and was not happy with the results. It coated the bullets fine but I got a matte/flat finish on the bullets not at all like the shiny look that the website has. Not sure why both colors turned out the same way but it was strange and unappealing. They (.45 200 SWC) shot OK but I just went back to using my HiTek.

Ausglock
12-13-2022, 06:17 PM
I have been using HiTek for years and wanted to try the BCB because of the different color choices. Tried a few colors and was not happy with the results. It coated the bullets fine but I got a matte/flat finish on the bullets not at all like the shiny look that the website has. Not sure why both colors turned out the same way but it was strange and unappealing. They (.45 200 SWC) shot OK but I just went back to using my HiTek.

Same here. I got some Black BCC and some MIBK for mixing. followed the instructions and got a flat black bullet...not shiny as shown on their website. Shot OK.
But I went back to HITEK as it was easier and gives the results I need.

Thomas918
12-14-2022, 01:23 AM
Same here. I got some Black BCC and some MIBK for mixing. followed the instructions and got a flat black bullet...not shiny as shown on their website. Shot OK.
But I went back to HITEK as it was easier and gives the results I need.

There was a video on application of the coating. The guy tried 100% acetone. A 70/30 mix of acetone and isopropyl alcohol. A 50/50 mix and a 70/30 acetone and MEK mix. The 50/50 acetone and iso mix gave a great shine compared to the others. That's what I have been using. Blue was really shiny but I accidentally baked it at the temp HiTek cures at and it darkened quite a bit. It wasn't until I baked it at 365 for 16 minutes that it stayed true to the color. The lime green was a nice color but was matte. The only reason I tried the coating is that I was having adhesion problems with Hitek. Oh and when HiTek sent me instructions they had a small section at the back that had your application rates and tips on it. I thought that was really cool

m37
12-20-2022, 10:17 AM
how do they collect any tariffs / customs charges to USA never ordered anything overseas thanks

Thomas918
12-21-2022, 11:04 PM
how do they collect any tariffs / customs charges to USA never ordered anything overseas thanks

They just add in shipping costs to your order. You don't have to worry about anything else. Same thing with MP molds which comes from overseas

m37
12-22-2022, 06:27 PM
thanks

awayne
01-05-2023, 04:08 PM
I have been using BCB for a little while now. I got both hi tek and BCB to try them both out and without a doubt if you do all the proper steps, BCB is MUCH better than Hi Tek! I can run big batches of bullets at a time and have the process down very well.

I will have to do a write up on the steps I take for the whole process BUT BCB coated bullets look amazing compared to hi tek imo. They are smooth and shiny compared to not
Smooth and a little shiny with hi tek.

justindad
01-07-2023, 09:40 PM
Does BCB have a clear or gray so it looks like lead?

asdf
01-08-2023, 03:01 PM

Their website shows a gunmetal colour, that looks very lead-like. I wish they had a copper colour, that looked very jacket-like. ;)

popper
01-08-2023, 04:12 PM
EU is anti VOC, surprised it's used or allowed there.

jonp
01-08-2023, 04:21 PM
It's not a powder coat. It's a powder that is made to be mixed with a solvent like acetone and alcohol for example. It is then swirled in that solution until almost all the solvent evaporates. Then the bullets are poured out onto a wire rack to completely evaporate the solvent. Usually takes 10 minutes and then you bake it in the oven. It is meant to be baked and recoated at least 2-3 times. Just like the process for HiTek coating.

You do them lying down on the wire?

Thomas918
01-08-2023, 06:26 PM
Yes I bake them in a loose pile. Not a heaping pile, but enough to cover the bottom of a wire baking tray.

Thomas918
01-08-2023, 06:32 PM

I agree some phenols can be nasty. But when baked they are pretty inert and stable. They are also very temp resistant after curing so it doesn't smoke or vape off during firing. It's the same with certain polymers like used in powder coatings. They can give off nasty fumes when baked and burned.

asdf
01-09-2023, 03:28 AM

The damned EU is always clutching their pearls over something...

asdf
01-09-2023, 03:57 AM
Well, I had a most prompt and helpful reply from Ruan at BCB covering a technical inquiry, which, judging by it's timestamp, he posted at 11 minutes after they opened for business! BCB coatings seem ideal for my purpose and would solve several problems. Unfortunately, they will only ship by Fedex, and courier companies bringing items into Canada make shipments both prohibitively expensive and unworkable. Perhaps someday BCB will have a North American distributor. but for the time being, I will have to reconsider the lesser options. There's always a monkey with a wrench aimed squarely at the works, in life.... :-x

asdf
01-09-2023, 12:59 PM
Correction: I realize now that there are TWO different BCB websites, and one is the U.S. distributor ( DOH ! ).

Back in business! :guntootsmiley:

10sandxs
01-09-2023, 01:55 PM
Here's how I coat bullets with both hitek and bcb. 7lbs of bullets, about 250 45 acp bullets.

I'm liking the bcb, but the bright colors come out looking black/charcoal. Performance is fine, just color is off. I've drilled a bullet and inserted a thermocouple to certfy temperatures and I'm not over baking, but they still turn dark...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230109/0ce04f0752be3f87212cf9bfcccc4f12.jpg

Thomas918
01-09-2023, 07:42 PM
What temp are you baking at?

asdf
01-09-2023, 08:33 PM
Correction: I realize now that there are TWO different BCB websites, and one is the U.S. distributor ( DOH ! ).

Back in business! :guntootsmiley:

Correction to the correction: After directing me to the U.S. dealer, Ruan later emailed to tell me that, regardless of which outlet it was with which I was dealing, the products would be shipping from South Africa, so Fedex would still be the only option. So, back to square one. NOT back in business.

:killingpc

10sandxs
01-10-2023, 09:14 AM
What temp are you baking at?I've tried 350 to 400. If it's low enough to maintain color, it wipes off with acetone. Could almost use the color as the cure indicator for some of these...

Thomas918
01-10-2023, 11:51 PM
I've tried 350 to 400. If it's low enough to maintain color, it wipes off with acetone. Could almost use the color as the cure indicator for some of these...

Mine turned a little darker but seemed to be the same color they posted on the website. I baked at 360 for 16 minutes. I could get it a little bit darker but that's if I baked it at 385. If I wanted a lighter color I would for example use petrol blue instead of blue. Or lime instead of green.

Thomas918
01-10-2023, 11:55 PM
Correction to the correction: After directing me to the U.S. dealer, Ruan later emailed to tell me that, regardless of which outlet it was with which I was dealing, the products would be shipping from South Africa, so Fedex would still be the only option. So, back to square one. NOT back in business.

:killingpc

How much would shipping be for you? I think I paid 35. A little pricey but even with shipping it ended up being the same as HiTek per bullet

asdf
01-11-2023, 01:10 AM
How much would shipping be for you? I think I paid 35. A little pricey but even with shipping it ended up being the same as HiTek per bullet

I'm in Canada. International couriers are Satan's evil stepchild to us. It's not the shipping - $35 is steep but understandable. It's the accompanying blatant extortion that is unacceptable. UPS is far and away the worst, but they all do it to some extent. On top of the valid shipping charges, they tack murky extras variously called "documetation fee", or "customs processing fee". or "importation fee", but they're all names for the same thing: parcel ransom. Your shipment arrives in Canada in the normal manner, and is then interned in a warehouse, usually in the part of Canada where they refuse to speak the King's English unless you put a gun to their heads. They will not free your parcel until the ransom is paid, and this "fee" easily doubles the costs, and makes the entire purchase financially prohibitive. To be clear: These fees are not duties, taxes, or any other form of government-imposed charges; they are entirely a cash grab on the part of the courier companies, padding their bottom line at our expense because they think they have us over a barrel. When the same package is delivered by mail, there are NO extra charges.

I could tell you the story of the last time someone mistakenly sent me a parcel from the States via UPS, but I don't want to expose you to that sort of language.

Ausglock
01-11-2023, 05:10 PM
The joy of living just up the road from the manufacturer of HITEK coating.
Need some more?? go for a drive.
I love Australia.

asdf
01-11-2023, 08:22 PM
The joy of living just up the road from the manufacturer of HITEK coating.
Need some more?? go for a drive.
I love Australia.

awayne
01-12-2023, 02:52 PM

Here is a pic of the gray but I’ll try to get a better pic for ya. Plus also the brown and purple

awayne
01-12-2023, 02:56 PM
I'm in Canada. International couriers are Satan's evil stepchild to us. It's not the shipping - $35 is steep but understandable. It's the accompanying blatant extortion that is unacceptable. UPS is far and away the worst, but they all do it to some extent. On top of the valid shipping charges, they tack murky extras variously called "documetation fee", or "customs processing fee". or "importation fee", but they're all names for the same thing: parcel ransom. Your shipment arrives in Canada in the normal manner, and is then interned in a warehouse, usually in the part of Canada where they refuse to speak the King's English unless you put a gun to their heads. They will not free your parcel until the ransom is paid, and this "fee" easily doubles the costs, and makes the entire purchase financially prohibitive. To be clear: These fees are not duties, taxes, or any other form of government-imposed charges; they are entirely a cash grab on the part of the courier companies, padding their bottom line at our expense because they think they have us over a barrel. When the same package is delivered by mail, there are NO extra charges.

I could tell you the story of the last time someone mistakenly sent me a parcel from the States via UPS, but I don't want to expose you to that sort of language.

Yes Canada shipping does suck even from the United States but having everything setup
Properly makes the difference. Well atleast it
Did back in the early 2000’s when I shipped parts to Canada all the time lol

awayne
01-12-2023, 02:56 PM
Mine turned a little darker but seemed to be the same color they posted on the website. I baked at 360 for 16 minutes. I could get it a little bit darker but that's if I baked it at 385. If I wanted a lighter color I would for example use petrol blue instead of blue. Or lime instead of green.

Those are too high of temps imo. I’ll have to look at what my oven is set at but it’s certainly not that high

awayne
01-12-2023, 02:57 PM
Here's how I coat bullets with both hitek and bcb. 7lbs of bullets, about 250 45 acp bullets.

I'm liking the bcb, but the bright colors come out looking black/charcoal. Performance is fine, just color is off. I've drilled a bullet and inserted a thermocouple to certfy temperatures and I'm not over baking, but they still turn dark...https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230109/0ce04f0752be3f87212cf9bfcccc4f12.jpg

Those look good!

asdf
01-12-2023, 04:21 PM
Yes Canada shipping does suck even from the United States but having everything setup
Properly makes the difference. Well atleast it
Did back in the early 2000’s when I shipped parts to Canada all the time lol

It doesn't suck by mail. I've received reloading dies ("metal forming dies" on the paperwork ;-)), transmission adapter, trigger units, speedloaders ("plastic holders"), all through USPS/Canada Post with no hassles and no added ransom charges. Once you cut the greedy profiteers out of the process, everything moves, no fuss and no bother, easily and economically.

10sandxs
01-13-2023, 09:46 AM
Those look good!That's before baking.

10sandxs
01-13-2023, 09:47 AM
Those are too high of temps imo. I’ll have to look at what my oven is set at but it’s certainly not that highThat s what the direction say... Fahrenheit btw

awayne
01-13-2023, 12:52 PM
That s what the direction say... Fahrenheit btw

I have mine set around 350 so its not that much higher but it is still higher This is in a commercial grade convection oven (electric) If I went around the 385-400 range then it did make the colors darker. At 350, it keeps the colors a bit brighter. The pics I posted above are coated and baked twice, sized and tumbled. Also, the suggested temp is 180c which converts to 356 Fahrenheit

Thomas918
01-13-2023, 03:23 PM
I have mine set around 350 so its not that much higher but it is still higher This is in a commercial grade convection oven (electric) If I went around the 385-400 range then it did make the colors darker. At 350, it keeps the colors a bit brighter. The pics I posted above are coated and baked twice, sized and tumbled. Also, the suggested temp is 180c which converts to 356 Fahrenheit

I have a commercial walk in rack oven so my temps are very stable. So 360 is probably right on the money.

asdf
01-13-2023, 06:14 PM
I have a commercial walk in rack oven so my temps are very stable. So 360 is probably right on the money.

A walk-in oven??? You're REALLY serious about bullet-making!

jonp
01-15-2023, 11:26 AM

Your kidding....

asdf
01-15-2023, 01:01 PM
Your kidding....

Truly, he is the Chosen One.

awayne
01-15-2023, 06:45 PM

Eventually we will have one of those as well but for now its a convection oven LOL. With my trays I can bake a good amount of bullets at a time though even with the smaller oven. But I also did use temp probes to check the temp in the oven and also inside the bullets which the temp is pretty accurate. 360 would also be fine since its within a few degrees of the suggested 356

jaysouth
01-19-2023, 01:04 AM
why BCB was spending lots of money advertising on facebook, I begged them to sign up for this site and post some articles with pictures. Their failure to do so was a red flag for me.

asdf
01-19-2023, 04:59 AM
Well, I have no reason to fault the company; the person with whom I corresponded was extremely prompt and very helpful. It's not a question of their stubbornness that they're limited in their shipping options, it's a result of the deteriorating situation in that country that prevents them using their postal system. At least they communicated with me. I emailed a European mould maker the same day asking the same question (regarding shipping) and never got a reply. Ditto a well-known American specialty die maker that I messaged long before that on their own website, with a simple technical question about one of their die sets. I've been completely ignored. Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for die sets in the future.

Thomas918
01-19-2023, 04:35 PM
Well, I have no reason to fault the company; the person with whom I corresponded was extremely prompt and very helpful. It's not a question of their stubbornness that they're limited in their shipping options, it's a result of the deteriorating situation in that country that prevents them using their postal system. At least they communicated with me. I emailed a European mould maker the same day asking the same question (regarding shipping) and never got a reply. Ditto a well-known American specialty die maker that I messaged long before that on their own website, with a simple technical question about one of their die sets. I've been completely ignored. Looks like I'll be looking elsewhere for die sets in the future.

A local bullet maker here that I shoot with was contacted by Ruan to be a North American supplier of BCB coatings but he turned it down. So they are trying pretty hard to resolve the North American shipping issues.

Thomas918
01-19-2023, 04:38 PM
why BCB was spending lots of money advertising on facebook, I begged them to sign up for this site and post some articles with pictures. Their failure to do so was a red flag for me.

I'm sure they don't see it as a good use of time. They are a bullet caster in addition to selling their coatings. It's not a red flag for me but it is a missed opportunity to show people the product. Also the fact that a bigger sponsor here HiTek has a dedicated following.

Thomas918
01-19-2023, 05:04 PM
https://i.ibb.co/FKRwsTc/IMG-20221203-160326.jpg (https://ibb.co/QfyN8wh)

asdf
01-19-2023, 05:08 PM
A local bullet maker here that I shoot with was contacted by Ruan to be a North American supplier of BCB coatings but he turned it down. So they are trying pretty hard to resolve the North American shipping issues.

Hopefully someone will get moving on this. It could be a great business opportunity for anyone who is willing to do it properly. An established business would have no problem receiving courier shipments, and would be able to order in sufficient quantities that the bogus service charges would not significantly affect the per unit price.

awayne
01-20-2023, 10:57 AM

I'm guessing MP Molds? I have had the same issues with them and the lack of responses. I have emailed and even messaged on FB and no responses at all! I Can't just order off the the site I need to chat with them but the lack of responses makes me not want to deal with them at all. It isn't that hard to send a response to an email or message on FB... I do it all the time

awayne
01-20-2023, 11:00 AM

I have as well and did so when he was brand new to North America but he said he would think about it. I have also sent him messages recently with no response at all. No idea why he is ignoring me all together now as I'm just trying to see if he is working on anything new plus see if he is interested in the distribution idea again. I'm thinking he would not be able to keep up with demand like that which is why he doesn't wish to do it. Thats just my opinion and I can completely understand if that's the case.

asdf
01-20-2023, 12:07 PM
I have as well and did so when he was brand new to North America but he said he would think about it. I have also sent him messages recently with no response at all. No idea why he is ignoring me all together now as I'm just trying to see if he is working on anything new plus see if he is interested in the distribution idea again. I'm thinking he would not be able to keep up with demand like that which is why he doesn't wish to do it. Thats just my opinion and I can completely understand if that's the case.

Frankly, I hadn't thought of it that way, but you might very well be right. Understandable, but very frustrating.

asdf
01-20-2023, 12:08 PM
I'm guessing MP Molds? I have had the same issues with them and the lack of responses. I have emailed and even messaged on FB and no responses at all! I Can't just order off the the site I need to chat with them but the lack of responses makes me not want to deal with them at all. It isn't that hard to send a response to an email or message on FB... I do it all the time

Exactly. If you're too busy to reply to a simple customer question, then you're to busy to try running a business. Period.

Thomas918
01-20-2023, 02:55 PM

I think you misread what I wrote. Ruan reached out to a local casting company that has a decent sized presence in USPSA. The local caster turned down the opportunity to be the North American distributor. Picking a distributor isn't like using a drop shipper because the distributor would be acting as a store front/customer service and shipping. It's a lot to take into consideration. It's important who you choose because imagine if HiTek didn't meet with one of the Miculeks to bring HiTek to the US and instead used someone who didn't have a web store or any connection to the shooting world other than being someone looking to make a buck. The brand name could be dragged through the mud and soured any chances at being known as a decent product.

Thomas918
01-20-2023, 03:03 PM
Here is a pic of the gray but I’ll try to get a better pic for ya. Plus also the brown and purple

Hey what other colors have you used so far? I want to try teal and/or a lighter blue but didn't want to place another order as I already got enough to cover 200lbs of bullets.

Thomas918
01-20-2023, 03:07 PM
Exactly. If you're too busy to reply to a simple customer question, then you're to busy to try running a business. Period.

I tried to ask dimensions of their moulds before ordering and never heard back but because of their quality of work I went ahead and ordered. Now I have three different moulds from them. I received the same week to as they sent out the same day. I just don't think he speaks English well enough to really get into providing customer service.

asdf
01-20-2023, 04:11 PM
I tried to ask dimensions of their moulds before ordering and never heard back but because of their quality of work I went ahead and ordered. Now I have three different moulds from them. I received the same week to as they sent out the same day. I just don't think he speaks English well enough to really get into providing customer service.

So how were they shipped? Another courier company, or by mail? That was my question to him.

asdf
01-20-2023, 04:25 PM
I think you misread what I wrote. Ruan reached out to a local casting company that has a decent sized presence in USPSA. The local caster turned down the opportunity to be the North American distributor. Picking a distributor isn't like using a drop shipper because the distributor would be acting as a store front/customer service and shipping. It's a lot to take into consideration. It's important who you choose because imagine if HiTek didn't meet with one of the Miculeks to bring HiTek to the US and instead used someone who didn't have a web store or any connection to the shooting world other than being someone looking to make a buck. The brand name could be dragged through the mud and soured any chances at being known as a decent product.

A drop shipper would be no good for me, because he's only a hands-off middleman who never sees the product. He just processes the orders, which are still shipped direct from the factory, and that, unfortunately, lands us right back with private enterprise carriers.I need a proper distributor, who would import bulk orders and who I could depend on to throw my stuff in a box and mail it to me. I can get all the tech information I need from Ruan. His customer service (with me, anyway) was first-rate. It's just the shipping that's the stumbling point.

Thomas918
01-20-2023, 05:03 PM
So how were they shipped? Another courier company, or by mail? That was my question to him.

It was eventually sent out with FedEx stateside. I'm not sure what they used before that. It got to my door quick for being sent overseas. If it has a tracking number and is given to the shipping handler I don't mind who is fondling my package between them and my door haha.

asdf
01-20-2023, 06:25 PM
It was eventually sent out with FedEx stateside. I'm not sure what they used before that. It got to my door quick for being sent overseas. If it has a tracking number and is given to the shipping handler I don't mind who is fondling my package between them and my door haha.

Neither do I, it's the extortion I mind. Judging by the offhand manner with which you lot discuss couriers (turns head and spits contemptuously!), I'm starting to think Americans don't get raped and pillaged on international shipments by those companies the way we do.

awayne
01-21-2023, 08:46 PM

Well idk then. I had offered up to warehouse and sell it so it would eliminate the South Africa processing. Plus we would be able to offer more affordable shipping that way as well. So for him supposedly offering it to another company and them turning it down, you would think that he would have taken me up on my offer. So I feel that part of that story might not be 100% accurate but who knows.

awayne
01-21-2023, 08:48 PM

Honestly his brand isn’t getting the best feedback right now because of ordering issues… idk

awayne
01-21-2023, 08:49 PM

What molds are you speaking of?

Thomas918
01-22-2023, 12:04 AM
Honestly his brand isn’t getting the best feedback right now because of ordering issues… idk

Well despite the shipping charge it still ends up being slightly cheaper than HiTek per bullet. And he was able to split the 400g size into two different colors for me. It's a bigger upfront cost since you can't just order 100g(3.5oz), but the product worked way better for me than HiTek.

asdf
01-22-2023, 04:25 AM
Well despite the shipping charge it still ends up being slightly cheaper than HiTek per bullet. And he was able to split the 400g size into two different colors for me. It's a bigger upfront cost since you can't just order 100g(3.5oz), but the product worked way better for me than HiTek.

That's the impression I have, and I much prefer the sound of the application procedure, which are the two reasons I had my heart set on the BCB system. And for sure, I found his customer service to be exceptional. The shipping issue is entirely out of his hands, dictated by the political situation in his country.

awayne
01-22-2023, 12:41 PM
Hey what other colors have you used so far? I want to try teal and/or a lighter blue but didn't want to place another order as I already got enough to cover 200lbs of bullets.

I actually have the teal color but haven't used it. Give me a day or two and ill do a small batch completely and take a pic for ya.

awayne
01-22-2023, 12:42 PM
Oh yea MUCH better then HT for me too! There is absolutely no comparison between them. They even size better and go through my collator better then HT

awayne
01-22-2023, 12:43 PM
That's the impression I have, and I much prefer the sound of the application procedure, which are the two reasons I had my heart set on the BCB system. And for sure, I found his customer service to be exceptional. The shipping issue is entirely out of his hands, dictated by the political situation in his country.

I just wish we could be selling it here in North America to make it easier for more to get hands on it.

asdf
01-25-2023, 01:57 PM

Well, Thomas918, I'm happy to report that MP Molds has restored my faith. After a follow-up email, I got a full reply within hours, and they are happy to ship by mail if I'm willing to accept the slower delivery. He asked for the address to give me a quote, so we'll see how that shapes up. No such happy outcome for the BCB issue, unfortunately, but one out of two is at least breaking even.

Thomas918
01-25-2023, 08:12 PM
That's good news. I love my moulds

asdf
01-26-2023, 09:41 PM
That's good news. I love my moulds

The quote came back in less than a day, and the price delivered to my mailbox (around $US117) is outstanding. Life is looking good.

awayne
01-27-2023, 11:16 AM
Well, Thomas918, I'm happy to report that MP Molds has restored my faith. After a follow-up email, I got a full reply within hours, and they are happy to ship by mail if I'm willing to accept the slower delivery. He asked for the address to give me a quote, so we'll see how that shapes up. No such happy outcome for the BCB issue, unfortunately, but one out of two is at least breaking even.

I have sent a few emails and get no responses from them. I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for them to respond in a timely manner to emails especially after sending a few and even follow ups as well. It’s been 2 weeks for me lol

m37
01-27-2023, 02:01 PM
their .za website had a banner they were closed for vacation from dec 15 til the 16th of this month maybe backed up

QUOTE=awayne;5524523]I have sent a few emails and get no responses from them. I don’t understand why it’s so difficult for them to respond in a timely manner to emails especially after sending a few and even follow ups as well. It’s been 2 weeks for me lol[/QUOTE]

asdf
01-27-2023, 02:18 PM
Actually, I think awayne is referring MP Molds, in Slovenia. This is my fault for taking the thread off-topic. I should have jumped the whole mould discussion to a new thread. My apologies for the confusion.

m37
03-10-2023, 11:48 AM
looks like they now have a US dist https://sscastsupplies.com/

asdf
03-10-2023, 04:10 PM
looks like they now have a US dist https://sscastsupplies.com/

I've emailed them and I'm still waiting for a reply. I asked if they actually stock the coatings and ship from the US, or if they're just agents and the products are still shipped directly from SA, in which case I'm right back where I came in. I'll keep you posted.

m37
03-10-2023, 09:00 PM
was checking on a order with ruan the owner he said he was working on stock for the us dist
but he is way behind cause there power is off so much
mike

I've emailed them and I'm still waiting for a reply. I asked if they actually stock the coatings and ship from the US, or if they're just agents and the products are still shipped directly from SA, in which case I'm right back where I came in. I'll keep you posted.

asdf
03-10-2023, 09:35 PM
was checking on a order with ruan the owner he said he was working on stock for the us dist
but he is way behind cause there power is off so much
mike

That's very encouraging. Once the stock is in the US, I can get it mailed. That solves my problem completely.

asdf
03-16-2023, 07:14 PM
Very disappointing. Almost a week and not so much as the courtesy of a reply from the "U.S. distributor". Probably yet another small-town capitalist operating out of his garage. Sigh. Oh well.

m37
03-17-2023, 02:51 PM
phone # is the same as https://sscastbullets.com/product-category/caliber/
looks like they are a commercial caster

asdf
03-18-2023, 04:17 PM
phone # is the same as https://sscastbullets.com/product-category/caliber/
looks like they are a commercial caster

Then they should know how to handle a simple customer inquiry.

awayne
03-24-2023, 09:13 AM
Then they should know how to handle a simple customer inquiry.

I don’t disagree at all. I had asked Ruan about being a distributor 2 years ago and he blew me off and continued to sell his coating on his “usa” page but CC was processed through South Africa.

I just got the email this morning about the new is distributor and it honestly makes me very upset since I had asked him a long time ago but got blown off back then. I also followed up a few times over the last two years plus I also recently brought it to his attention from members comments on here for him to ignore me.

It’s also very interesting that only one site has contact information but on the bcb site he has a telephone number for them. And what really blows me away is that they don’t even use his coating on the bullets they sell which is probably why they have a separate site to sell the coating.

It seems like to me that maybe he is using them the warehouse it for him, process orders and ship them out but they aren’t a true distributor since they don’t even use the coating.

asdf
03-24-2023, 09:58 AM
I don’t disagree at all. I had asked Ruan about being a distributor 2 years ago and he blew me off and continued to sell his coating on his “usa” page but CC was processed through South Africa.

I just got the email this morning about the new is distributor and it honestly makes me very upset since I had asked him a long time ago but got blown off back then. I also followed up a few times over the last two years plus I also recently brought it to his attention from members comments on here for him to ignore me.

It’s also very interesting that only one site has contact information but on the bcb site he has a telephone number for them. And what really blows me away is that they don’t even use his coating on the bullets they sell which is probably why they have a separate site to sell the coating.

It seems like to me that maybe he is using them the warehouse it for him, process orders and ship them out but they aren’t a true distributor since they don’t even use the coating.

Regardless of what they use on their own castings, I'd be fine with them simply being a warehouse selling BCB coatings for the SA company, as long as they were shipping from the US to Canada, not just taking orders and payments for items that would then be shipped from SA. I need US origin so it can be shipped by mail, not courier. Unfortunately, there's no way to take them at their word, and it's too late to find out the hard way after they've taken your money.

m37
03-24-2023, 12:03 PM
bcb email says

New USA distributor
We have a new USA distributor for our coating.
This means the stock is in the USA and you don't have to wait anymore for your order to be shipped from South Africa.

You can buy directly from their website below!.

awayne
03-24-2023, 12:17 PM
Regardless of what they use on their own castings, I'd be fine with them simply being a warehouse selling BCB coatings for the SA company, as long as they were shipping from the US to Canada, not just taking orders and payments for items that would then be shipped from SA. I need US origin so it can be shipped by mail, not courier. Unfortunately, there's no way to take them at their word, and it's too late to find out the hard way after they've taken your money.

Oh yeah I completely understand that. Unfortunately not everyone knows how to deal with shipping to Canada either

asdf
03-24-2023, 12:44 PM
bcb email says

New USA distributor
We have a new USA distributor for our coating.
This means the stock is in the USA and you don't have to wait anymore for your order to be shipped from South Africa.

You can buy directly from their website below!.

If this is true, then my problem may be solved, thanks m37 (nice truck, by the way). I'll try to contact them directly.

asdf
03-24-2023, 12:47 PM
Oh yeah I completely understand that. Unfortunately not everyone knows how to deal with shipping to Canada either

They will when I put it in block capitals SHIP VIA US POST OFFICE ONLY.

You put it in a box. You address the box. You take it to the Post Office and pay them for the postage. You walk away. Ta-dah!

awayne
03-24-2023, 01:05 PM
They will when I put it in block capitals SHIP VIA US POST OFFICE ONLY.

You put it in a box. You address the box. You take it to the Post Office and pay them for the postage. You walk away. Ta-dah!

Some just don’t want to do it either lol. I use to ship aftermarket car parts to Canada all the time. I learned everything to do with taxes and customs which let us expand our business to Canada. It really isn’t that hard if you have to worry about all that once you figure it out

asdf
04-07-2023, 09:00 AM
Sorry, another dead end, apparently. I finally made contact with the supposed U.S. distributor for BCB, after waiting 2 weeks for a reply to my email. She assured me that they were shipping from the U.S., had stock on hand, that they would be set up to take payments "by Monday", and that she'd check on shipping powders to Canada. Another two weeks and emails later and not a word. Why would I trust money to people who can't be bothered to type a one-line reply? Amateur time-wasters.

awayne
04-07-2023, 09:32 AM
Sorry, another dead end, apparently. I finally made contact with the supposed U.S. distributor for BCB, after waiting 2 weeks for a reply to my email. She assured me that they were shipping from the U.S., had stock on hand, that they would be set up to take payments "by Monday", and that she'd check on shipping powders to Canada. Another two weeks and emails later and not a word. Why would I trust money to people who can't be bothered to type a one-line reply? Amateur time-wasters.

Wow what a shame! If he would have taken me up on my offer to be a distributor a couple years ago this wouldn’t be an issue.

What color are you looking for and how much? Feel free to send me a message and maybe I can help you out to get some to you.

Thomas918
04-21-2023, 01:34 AM
https://i.ibb.co/gwx2b0L/IMG-20230421-001757.jpg (https://ibb.co/hHS6xGJ)https://i.ibb.co/56CNVyV/IMG-20230421-001901.jpg (https://ibb.co/80GWVpV)
image uploading (https://imgbb.com/)

Here is some BCB blue. Flash on/flash off. 50/50 acetone and isopropyl alcohol. 360 for 14 minutes in a rotating walk in rack oven

asdf
04-21-2023, 01:56 AM
Is the colour change between the two photos a result of additional coats, or just a change in lighting?

Thomas918
04-21-2023, 08:01 AM
The color change was because of the phone flash. In direct daylight they don't look much different from the no flash pic

asdf
04-21-2023, 09:10 AM
The color change was because of the phone flash. In direct daylight they don't look much different from the no flash pic

DOH! Just re-read the caption and realised "flash on, flash off" referred to the photoflash, not flashing the coating. :oops:

awayne
04-22-2023, 07:25 PM
https://i.ibb.co/gwx2b0L/IMG-20230421-001757.jpg (https://ibb.co/hHS6xGJ)https://i.ibb.co/56CNVyV/IMG-20230421-001901.jpg (https://ibb.co/80GWVpV)

Here is some BCB blue. Flash on/flash off. 50/50 acetone and isopropyl alcohol. 360 for 14 minutes in a rotating walk in rack oven

How many ML of the coating per LB of bullets?

awayne
04-22-2023, 07:27 PM

I use MEK which makes it easier than mixing.

Thomas918
04-23-2023, 08:44 PM
.8ml per lb. My bucket has lots of left over from previous batches so if you start with a clean bucket I would start with 1.1ml per

awayne
04-23-2023, 11:21 PM
.8ml per lb. My bucket has lots of left over from previous batches so if you start with a clean bucket I would start with 1.1ml per

Recommended to be 1.5ML per Lb. Do you also tumble till they are basically dry?

Thomas918
04-24-2023, 02:14 PM
In the instructions they say to use 1ml for 300-350grams of additional bullets. Now I could have read that wrong and they meant after the first 1-3kg where you use 10ml of solution to coat the bucket. Since my bucket was dirty I threw in 5bs and used 4mls. It wouldnt hurt to use more for sure especially if it's the second or third coat. I stop tumbling right when I notice I takes a little more effort to spin in the bucket. I tumbled my bucket too long once and it just left the bullet with a rough surface. You could just throw them back in the bucket with some acetone to "wet" them and swirl again to smooth them out.

asdf
05-10-2023, 06:27 PM
Well, there has been much happened since I last posted. I contacted the U.S. agents for BCB Coatings and thier rep (Hi Kristy!) went well above and beyond to work out the shipping issue for me. My initial misgivings about their service were totally unwarranted, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I took delivery today of my first shipment of powder, no muss, no fuss, and I'm chomping at the bit to put it into action.

I'm exceedingly grateful to Kristy for all her help, and I can highly recommend the U.S. distributor for first-class service.

Thomas918
05-11-2023, 07:17 PM
That's great to hear. I ordered some red from straight shooter supply. I am pretty unhappy with hitek's red because it was flaking off during sizing. And scraping very easy during seating. I'm happy to coat all my newer stuff with BCB red now. I have blue, red, and lime so far and I love how well they adhere to the bullet

awayne
05-16-2023, 10:07 AM
That's great to hear. I ordered some red from straight shooter supply. I am pretty unhappy with hitek's red because it was flaking off during sizing. And scraping very easy during seating. I'm happy to coat all my newer stuff with BCB red now. I have blue, red, and lime so far and I love how well they adhere to the bullet

HT isn’t that good compared to BCB. You can still get flaking with BCB if you don’t prep the bullets right or bake them long enough without darkening them too much by over baking.

awayne
05-16-2023, 10:07 AM
Well, there has been much happened since I last posted. I contacted the U.S. agents for BCB Coatings and thier rep (Hi Kristy!) went well above and beyond to work out the shipping issue for me. My initial misgivings about their service were totally unwarranted, and I couldn't be more pleased with the results. I took delivery today of my first shipment of powder, no muss, no fuss, and I'm chomping at the bit to put it into action.

I'm exceedingly grateful to Kristy for all her help, and I can highly recommend the U.S. distributor for first-class service.

That’s good to hear. Glad to hear you got what you have been wanting as well