PDA

View Full Version : Liquid lube

DresserDan
11-14-2022, 07:44 PM
Casting a Lee Bator 22 boolet. Its the little short stuby one with gas check. Is there a lube I could use instead of trying to run these thru a lub,sizer [rcbs]? Then I would run them thru a Lee sizer die to put on the checks. I really dont want to powder coat yet.

Ben
11-14-2022, 08:58 PM
https://www.lsstuff.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=13

17nut
11-16-2022, 03:00 PM
Atf

poppy42
11-16-2022, 05:08 PM
Do a search for Ben’s liquid Lube on this forum!

Good Cheer
11-24-2022, 02:38 PM
At some point perhaps there should be a listing begun of liquid wax products containing carnauba and what success people achieved with them.

JonB_in_Glencoe
11-25-2022, 11:59 AM
I use BLL

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube

gloob
12-14-2022, 03:43 PM
When you buy a Lee sizer die, it comes with a bottle of Lee Liquid Alox. So if you buy Lee sizers in multiple calibers, you could have a lifetime supply of bullet lube!

Ben
12-14-2022, 09:44 PM
I don't think Lee packs any alox with a bullet sizer die like they did in the past.

gloob
12-14-2022, 10:58 PM
I don't think Lee packs any alox with a bullet sizer die like they did in the past.
Oh, I see they sell a new universal die holder, and then sizers are only 10.00 each.

The older style are still available from a lot of sellers. I only need 3 more to fill my collection, and I think I'll get the older ones, if I can. Simple screw in/out, rather than fiddling with the universal setup. Plus LLA for decades!

BLAHUT
12-14-2022, 11:34 PM
Lee alox

hpbear101
12-15-2022, 12:38 AM
The 45/45/10 in Ben's (2) reply is my favorite lube. It is very economical and works great.

Ben
12-15-2022, 10:47 AM
I felt it was good to mention because some may not want to ( or even can locate ) the needed materials for making Ben's Liquid Lube.

ebb
12-26-2022, 02:07 PM
I don't get it everyone keeps talking about lubes that are great and I want to use them but then I look at the ingredients and they use materials that haven't been made in years. Yes Ben i just noticed your post you are right! Thanks for posting the link I saw it and so happy to have this ready-made, i tried making some kind of mix with LLA and mineral spirits and Johnsons paste wax and it was a disaster. I saved you linked page to my favorites. I don't see myself ever powder coating bullets, but soon a lube-sizer will be on my short list. I wish there was somewhere I could watch someone show the different models and how to use them and what lube works best in the different models and different speeds.

Hick
12-26-2022, 07:59 PM
I felt it was good to mention because some may not want to ( or even can locate ) the needed materials for making Ben's Liquid Lube.

Yep-- When I die my daughter has all sorts of things she would like to have, but my second son, who is a caster/reloader, just wants my supply of Alox and Johnson's liquid wax

Good Cheer
12-27-2022, 05:26 PM
I don't get it everyone keeps talking about lubes that are great and I want to use them but then I look at the ingredients and they use materials that haven't been made in years. Yes Ben i just noticed your post you are right! Thanks for posting the link I saw it and so happy to have this ready-made, i tried making some kind of mix with LLA and mineral spirits and Johnsons paste wax and it was a disaster. I saved you linked page to my favorites. I don't see myself ever powder coating bullets, but soon a lube-sizer will be on my short list. I wish there was somewhere I could watch someone show the different models and how to use them and what lube works best in the different models and different speeds.

Yes sir, that was the idea behind post #5.

hc18flyer
12-28-2022, 06:06 PM
At some point perhaps there should be a listing begun of liquid wax products containing carnauba and what success people achieved with them.

I was able to find 'Lundmark's' at Ace Hardware about 3 years ago. My 'BLL' works fine for pistol bullets. hc18flyer

Larry Gibson
12-29-2022, 10:33 AM
LLA (Lee's liquid lube) will work just fine. Just follow the directions and don't use too much. Bullets just need a golden hue on them. Let them dry thoroughly before loading.

Larry Gibson
12-29-2022, 10:42 AM
Oh, I see they sell a new universal die holder, and then sizers are only 10.00 each.

The older style are still available from a lot of sellers. I only need 3 more to fill my collection, and I think I'll get the older ones, if I can. Simple screw in/out, rather than fiddling with the universal setup. Plus LLA for decades!

I couldn't find any reference to a Lee universal die holder? Did you mean NOE's?

Lee still lists their standard push through sizers but the LLA is sold separately now.

popper
12-29-2022, 11:40 AM
BLL works fine for normal velocity rifle also - 2 coats. NOE stuff drops into the Lee universal flare tool.

ndnchf
01-08-2023, 08:00 AM
I've been using a 50/50 blend of JPW/LLA for about 5 years now. Its easy to make, dries fast, inexpensive and best of all - it works great.

GregLaROCHE
01-08-2023, 08:31 AM
I used Lee Liquid Alox with good results. I would coat the boolits, let them dry, run them through the sizer to add the GC and coat them again. Worked well for my 6.5mm Swede.

schutzen-jager
01-08-2023, 09:13 AM
my method exactly - i only use gas checks on rifle bullets - never had any leading on any rifle or pistol bullet i cast

centershot
01-08-2023, 09:15 AM

Those are the exact ingredients I use for my liquid lube and it works out great. I take no credit, I found the recipe here.

1) Using an electric hotplate, outdoors, pop the lid off the Johnson's Paste Wax and set it on the hotplate on low to medium heat. Let it melt completely.

2) Stir in a 4oz. bottle of Lee Liquid Lube. Mix well.

3) Add 4 oz. of Mineral Spirits, stir it in.

4) Shut off the heat and let it cool. It should be a thin consistency, not quite like water. Add MS to adjust, as necessary.

5) Put the cover back on the can and put it away, it's ready to use. Before use, shake it up well. Be stingy when lubing your boolits, it won't take much.

GregLaROCHE
01-08-2023, 12:28 PM
I always used pure LLA, but was getting ready to try the mix with the wax. I still have the full can Johnson’s wax I bought for the project. I happened to start PCing and muzzle loading. I never made that lube, but always head it worked well.

Good Cheer
01-09-2023, 09:11 AM
Don't know why it never occurred to me before but a really cheap bottle of carnauba based polish is something to try out when applying paper patches to muzzleloading rifle boolits. Might work, might not, but it needs trying.

GregLaROCHE
01-09-2023, 11:50 AM
Don't know why it never occurred to me before but a really cheap bottle of carnauba based polish is something to try out when applying paper patches to muzzleloading rifle boolits. Might work, might not, but it needs trying.

When I was paper patching, I would moisten the patches before applying them. When they dried they would shrink and be nice and tight. With a liquid wax, they may not shrink. However, I know a lot of people use dry patches too.

gloob
01-09-2023, 07:55 PM
I couldn't find any reference to a Lee universal die holder? Did you mean NOE's?

Lee still lists their standard push through sizers but the LLA is sold separately now.

I made a small mistake. It's not a universal holder. It's only for Breechlock presses, because of the size. Lee part number 91532, dies sold separately a bit cheaper than entire die/kits.

https://leeprecision.com/bl-bullet-sizer-kit.html

I wrongly assumed the old style kits still came with the LLA, but I'm cleared up on that point, now, too. I got a couple kits for Christmas with no LLA.

Good Cheer
01-09-2023, 08:56 PM
When I was paper patching, I would moisten the patches before applying them. When they dried they would shrink and be nice and tight. With a liquid wax, they may not shrink. However, I know a lot of people use dry patches too.

I'm gonna have to try it some day. I patch for .40, .52, .58 and .69. Working towards getting a 9.3 together.
Maybe there'll be a way to adapt the bottle of car polish (as used to make solvent based liquid lube) into a workable patch wetting solution.

Gobeyond
02-09-2023, 05:27 PM
Yah I bought about 6 of those sizers off leeprecicision.com they have them almost every .001 for a production over run recently. I needed some strange sizes for black powder- paper patch and small throat on my gun. It’s sprising how well LLA works in my 30-30 mid velocities. Thinner coat easier to handle.

Shiloh
03-07-2023, 06:48 PM
I am also a fan of 45-45-10

Shiloh