PDA

View Full Version : No more model 70's or 94's ???

JDL
01-17-2006, 12:38 PM
Just saw on another site that U.S. Repeating Arms is closing its factory that makes the model 70, model 94, and 1300 shotgun. Can't verify so it might be just internet chatter. -JDL

Scrounger
01-17-2006, 12:44 PM
Just saw on another site that U.S. Repeating Arms is closing its factory that makes the model 70, model 94, and 1300 shotgun. Can't verify so it might be just internet chatter. -JDL

Not to worry. Even if it is true, those names and model numbers are so famous they have a market that won't die. Someone will purchase the rights to make and sell them, may even make them better... Remember when Winchester quit making them, USRA was right there to assume production. It will happen again.

Frank46
01-18-2006, 03:27 AM
Well I guess that gun parts will probably buy up all the parts and crank up the prices. And just maybe the prices of the no longer made models will go up as well. Frank

James Wisner
01-19-2006, 01:51 AM
Just because the plant is closing March 31 and up for sale does not mean that the company and its products is gone.

They will just go to another plant in another state or else where to make them with out that labor union in New Haven.

The clomerate that owns them has far to much resourches in several other firearm companies, here in the states and overseas.

Jim Wisner
Custom Metalsmith

scrapcan
01-19-2006, 11:31 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/17/winchester.ap/index.html

This is the first mainstream news story I have seen on the topic. I agree with the above statements. The models are proven and someone will either produce them or will license the patents to produce them on their own. Just look at rossi, they have some of the older discontinued models that they currently manufacture for sale.

It is never good for a arms manufacturing company to discontinue product lines, but it I am not the one who has to keep the profit margin to keep investors/management happy.

On the other hand it may make the less valuable models produced in the last 20 years increase or at least hold their value better.

9.3X62AL
01-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Sad business, this.

That said--Miroku did a right fine job on the 1886 "repros"--and I'm sure they could be resurrected. Lots of people are making 1892 repros, and 1873 repros as well. A Classic Model 70 built with pre-64 quality control would sell readily at a higher price than the current crop of Winchester bolt rifles sell for. I won't miss the Angle Eject receiver one bit. If someone brings back the 1894, I hope they do so with the pre-64 design elements and quality. Otherwise, make mine Marlin Minus Microgroove. (MMM) I would be VERY surprised to see the 1894 lie fallow with the growth of cowboy action shooting currently under way.

Buckshot
01-21-2006, 06:44 AM
...............I had been seriously thinking about one of the nice M94's with the 26" tapered octagon barrels, and casehardened (or case colored) actions chambered in 38-55. I saw the MSRP was $839. Doing a local search a local shop would order one for $120 and a final total $789 OTD including tax and all the California BS.

I have a Green Mountain 28" octagon unchambered .375 bbl and a Martini action I planned on making into a 38-55, but who knows when THAT will happen? Of course it won't be any $750+ either, but then too it won't be a real levergun either, would it?

Heck, I feel like I ought to try and do my part and hep-out ole USRAC some :-).

.................Buckshot