PDA

View Full Version : Elmer Keith's BP 45 colt loads

Thundermaker
11-13-2022, 12:08 AM
Came across this. The results are interesting.

https://youtu.be/szSempNa3gI

Nobade
11-13-2022, 08:22 AM
It did exactly what you would expect. Good to see that black powder still works.
A long time ago I figured out that 45-90 bullet worked well in my Marlin 1894 with it's very large chamber. It shoots well, hits hard, and minimizes blowback since it's bigger than most pistol bullets so the cases don't have to expand so much.

veeman
11-13-2022, 11:44 AM
No compaction/drop tube? not necessary for pistol rounds?

DAVIDMAGNUM
11-13-2022, 11:58 AM
No compaction/drop tube? not necessary for pistol rounds?
Using Swiss 2F in a 44WCF , 24" barreled rifle : No drop tube but about .2" compression. Very accurate at 100 Meters. There is no hard and fast rule about compression. I did load development. Starting with zero compression and increasing the powder charge, thus increasing the compression. When I had a load that was the most accurate it also had the least fouling.

Nobade
11-13-2022, 06:48 PM
I normally compress with the bullet about 1/8" or so. Powder charge is adjusted so it's not so much the bullet starts getting mashed but enough to give at least a little compression and fine tune between those amounts for best accuracy. You could use a compression die but usually pistol caliber firearms aren't used at really long range and I can't see much difference inside of 200 yards.

greenjoytj
12-03-2022, 09:30 PM
I did load development. Starting with zero compression and increasing the powder charge, thus increasing the compression. When I had a load that was the most accurate it also had the least fouling.

Was your accurate load discovered at the light charge weight (low compression) end of the load range or at the heavy charge weight (high compression) end of the load range.

toot
12-04-2022, 07:18 AM
just goes to show yah that BP. is still a great killer. it ain't dead yet.

Kenny Wasserburger
12-04-2022, 11:42 AM
Well
Done.

KW