PDA

View Full Version : Food Dehydrators

jonp
11-12-2022, 04:58 PM
Any suggestions short of commercial machines? We are looking at a small Nesco with metal racks

hoodat
11-12-2022, 05:18 PM
I've got a couple of the plastic round types that I love. They're about thirteen or so inches diameter, and you can stack the trays as high as you want. I've got one with top heat, and one with bottom heat. Probably twenty racks total. I've used them with both heating fans at at the same time.

They work great for the jerky, fruit and herbs we normally do, but not big enough for fish fillets. What I really like about them, is they're small and easy to store, and quick and easy for small batches. I don't always like to make a huge project out of what I'm doing -- if I did, I'd go bigger. jd

Kind of a coincidence, I'm sitting here eating dried apples that I did just a few days ago.

DougGuy
11-12-2022, 05:23 PM
I *think* this is the one I have, it's a square 8 tray by Weston for Realtree. Got it and a Weston seal a meal machine with a bunch of bags $40 for both, from Craigslist.. I much prefer the square one over the round ones.

https://www.harvestessentials.com/weston-realtree-outfitters-8-tray-food-dehydrator-75-0101-rt.html

The trays are actually mesh plastic screens covering the tray not the tray itself. which allows the tray cover to be rolled or bent to get the food to release.

The Weston has these screens as well, small stuff like fruit slices or basil leaves don't fall through.

jonp
11-12-2022, 07:00 PM
We are looking at this https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-41B-Snackmaster-Dehydrator-Snacks/dp/B09J97F7L9/ref=sr_1_15?crid=294AALYCFFYBO&keywords=dehydrator&qid=1668293988&sprefix=dehydrator%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-15

CastingFool
11-12-2022, 07:03 PM
We have an Excalibur food dehydrator. Nine 15×15 trays. We've used to make jerky, and have dehydrated apple slices. It has only one fan, but multiple heat settings. Don't remember how much we paid, but we're glad we have it.

MrWolf
11-12-2022, 07:14 PM
We have the COSORI Food Dehydrator from Amazon. Going for $150 now. We like it and solidly built. I do have the round plastic dehydrator that got relegated to drying brass.

bbogue1
11-12-2022, 07:54 PM
My opinion. We have used the round tray dehydrators for years and years then we bought an Excaliber. What a difference. Dries green things green not brownish. More odor and flavors are retained., the trays are actually mesh plastic screens covering the tray not the tray itself. which allows the tray cover to be rolled or bent to get the food to release without pre-spraying. The temp is set by degrees and it holds the temp which is why it does such a good job. The tray covers will discolor, but that takes a lot of effort. It comes with a Teflon or silicone tray cover for making leathers. Bigger than the round trays, but does a better job in my opinion. The only con is it is pricey.

rancher1913
11-12-2022, 09:26 PM
the Excalibur is the top of the line dehydrator. it costs more but its worth it. my wife has a few of them but since she got a freeze dryer she hardly uses the dehydrators. if you are just looking to play around any will do but if you think you will get serious with food dehydrating, get an Excalibur.

Land Owner
11-13-2022, 03:57 AM
We are looking at this https://www.amazon.com/Nesco-FD-41B-Snackmaster-Dehydrator-Snacks/dp/B09J97F7L9/ref=sr_1_15?crid=294AALYCFFYBO&keywords=dehydrator&qid=1668293988&sprefix=dehydrator%2Caps%2C109&sr=8-15

Yes, you could go that way. Imo, eventually you will grow tired of replenishing the 3-small trays time and time again when for about the same money you can get one of the round ones and additional trays (hoodat). I did this too.

Would I enjoy a large "near" commercial unit? Maybe, but for less initial cost I have been well served by the original unit with additional trays for more than a dozen years.