PDA

View Full Version : What to do with old reloading equipment?

Dave W.
11-12-2022, 11:24 AM
I have been going through my reloading stuff and getting rid of some things that have been collected over the years. How does a person get so much stuff? But, to the question at hand, what does a person do with old reloading equipment, hate to throw it away, but not sure is has much value.

I have 2 Latchmiller single stage presses, look like they were set up to remove the primers from shotgun hulls.
There is a set of Latchmiller 44 special / magnum dies.
A Bonanza Bulls-eye power measure.
A CR Specialty single stage press.
2 Hollywood GunShop power measures, missing handles.
And other stuff.

What do you think, should they get tossed into the garbage, is there a vintage reloading museum that would take them? Any other ideas?
Thanks,

11-12-2022, 11:29 AM
If you can send photos, it will help a lot in the various descriptions. Post them in the "swappin' -sellin'" thread or spread them out in the "pay it forward" thread. Trust me - somebody wants it.

Winger Ed.
11-12-2022, 11:29 AM
Put 'em on Swapping & Selling.
You won't make your fortune with them, but somebody that wants and appreciates them will step up.

Bazoo
11-12-2022, 01:24 PM
Definitely worth passing on I think. The dies are something old be interested to have, maybe one of the powder measures. For me, I like messing with that older less common stuff. I’d probably get more excited out of a box with old reloading junk than a box with a Dillion in it though.

elmacgyver0
11-12-2022, 01:51 PM
I wouldn't throw it away, at least give it to someone.

abunaitoo
11-12-2022, 03:06 PM
I would post in the swap and sell.
Take a little work on your part, but pictures would help.
You could also "pass it on" for just the shipping.
Again, a little work on your part.
Lots of members, like me, enjoy finding stuff to use or pass on.

pworley1
11-12-2022, 03:50 PM
I build a box about 16" high by 12" wide and 30 or so inches long. Then I mount a press and a powder measure. Then I give it to someone who has shown an interest in hand loading. Once I find out what they want to load I will put in a set of dies, an appropriate powder, 100 bullets and 100 primers. I spend a few hours with them letting them load their bullets. I tell them to take it and keep it if they like loading, if they don't like it to bring it back. In the last 50 years I have only had one brought back.

Reg
11-12-2022, 03:56 PM
Put it in Swap n Sell. Myself I prefer the older equipment and will pick up what I am interested in when ever I see it.

super6
11-12-2022, 04:22 PM
Those holleywood powder measures will go quick in S&S. Post em. As the presses go, I bet they go quick!

Shawlerbrook
11-12-2022, 04:44 PM
Definitely not worthy of the garbage. Sell it, trade it or give it away. Like old tractors that stuff is usable forever.

Der Gebirgsjager
11-12-2022, 04:46 PM
I'd look around for a novice or person very new to reloading and give it to them.

DG

hoodat
11-12-2022, 04:49 PM
Your question has been answered.. us dummies will send you money for it.

Another technique would be to put the whole batch together on a single auction, money to be given to the forum for operating expenses. jd

wilecoyote
11-12-2022, 05:58 PM
old tools never die.
please, don't bury them in the dump !

ebb
11-12-2022, 08:45 PM
That nice young guy that posts here is trying to get more involved in reloading. Wolf dog and some numbers if i recall. he seems loke a worthy recipient.

ebb
11-12-2022, 08:46 PM
Wolfdog91

Kosh75287
11-12-2022, 08:53 PM
There may come a time in the not-too-distant future, when reloading equipment is difficult to find, very expensive, or even no longer made. In my younger days, I could not imagine such a thing, but THESE days...
Don't junk or melt down ANYTHING that can be saved. Give it to someone. If you can't find someone who has a use for it, keep it until you or your survivors do.

ascast
11-12-2022, 09:14 PM
What is a CR Specialty press? give or sell to somebody.

Dave W.
11-12-2022, 10:14 PM
Wow, you guys surprised me, that someone might want it. I figured it was just old junk.
Guess I'll have to figure out how to post pictures to the site and put them for sale.

bbogue1
11-12-2022, 10:43 PM
If you are not aware, Brass Magnet does a giveaway for Christmas. He collects whatever reloading equipment throughout the year, assembles some helpers then about this time of year usually announces in Our Town/Helping Hands that the Tumbleweed Christmas is looking for potential reloaders and needy reloaders to send a story of why they would like to have some equipment then he'll pay for the shipping to send it to reloaders and potential reloaders who are in need. None of it is new. His helpers help out, too. Sometimes a helper will send new, but, most of the older equipment and supplies are in good shape and for someone who wants to get started or move to another level he is a God send. Send a PM to BrassMagnet and see what you can do. I'm sure he's always looking for helpers and equipment. Just go to your name in the sign-in box (upper right corner), click on your forum name (DaveW), click on the UserCP and send a message to BrassMagnet

imashooter2
11-13-2022, 12:48 AM
Wow, you guys surprised me, that someone might want it. I figured it was just old junk.
Guess I'll have to figure out how to post pictures to the site and put them for sale.

LOL! This place is chock full of old geezers that just LOVE old junk.

stubshaft
11-13-2022, 01:00 AM
If all else fails, you can put it on fleaBay and list it as "collector" grade reloading tools.

Dave W.
11-13-2022, 06:58 PM
Some people have asked to see pictures of the CR loader so will post some.

45workhorse
11-13-2022, 07:29 PM
Old geezer's (I resemble that) love neat "old" equipment!

richhodg66
11-14-2022, 08:15 AM
Interesting press, looks a lot like the old PAcific C Presses from that era, but it is clearly a little different so not made by the same manufacturer. What is the address of the company cast into the press? I can't make it out completely.

Seems alot of companies made presses. Some were bought out by others (Pacific and Bair by Hornady, Lachmiller by RCBS, Bonanza by Forster, etc.). I wonder if they were consumed by a bigger company at some point.

richhodg66
11-14-2022, 08:20 AM
OK, now I remember. A gun shop I used to frequent in Platte City, MO used to have a lot of old estate sale stuff and had this massive shotgun loader once that was branded by a big sporting goods store in KC, pretty sure thinking about it, it was the same one. Apparently, from reading a couple of comments that came up, they were quite a place in the day. Seems the name is still around, but doesn't look like it does much but retail gun sales now. https://www.crsalesfirearms.com/

fatnhappy
11-14-2022, 04:53 PM
One of the salesmen here at work is heavily into guns but knows less than nothing about reloading or casting. He's been buying estates lately and it's been a windfall for me. I've been more or less explaining to him what he has and cherry picking what I want, to include powder and primers.

I'm sitting back wondering if that's what the future holds for me.

Garyshome
11-14-2022, 05:13 PM
Sell that stuff on E bay.

Dave W.
11-14-2022, 09:51 PM
Interesting press, looks a lot like the old PAcific C Presses from that era, but it is clearly a little different so not made by the same manufacturer. What is the address of the company cast into the press? I can't make it out completely.

Seems alot of companies made presses. Some were bought out by others (Pacific and Bair by Hornady, Lachmiller by RCBS, Bonanza by Forster, etc.). I wonder if they were consumed by a bigger company at some point.

The address is
C. R. specialty Co.
1409 Walnut St
K.C. 6. MO.

500aquasteve
11-17-2022, 11:02 PM
You sell it on these sites.

I bought an old RCBS “O” press for $40 to learn how to load with for my first cartridge- the S&W magnum. Now thousands of loads later I am still using it and don’t really have a current need to upgrade. So sell it, there’s likely someone that would be very happy to take it off your hands.

Winger Ed.
11-17-2022, 11:07 PM
I'm sitting back wondering if that's what the future holds for me.

You're in a good place for shopping estate sales and finding the good stuff.
But you'll also have to sort through a lot of junk, and kiss a few frogs before you find a prince.

LabGuy
11-19-2022, 09:10 PM
I was about to get rid of some things, then I started teaching NRA reloading classes. I maintain 4 work benches worth. If I wanted to downsize, I would mentor young kids, and pretty much give them the basic equipment.

GONRA
11-21-2022, 11:59 PM
GONRA's pretty sure some guys COLLECT reloading equipment (just like guns)
without any specific use in mind.
Bet most have HOARDER genes too and will grab any free stuff they can.....

414gates
11-22-2022, 04:19 AM
Put them up on Ebay as an auction, per item.

It's easy to underestimate the value of reloading equipment, especially old stuff that you have not even looked at in years, or no longer see any use for, even items that are missing bits.

It may look like old junk, but it is worth good money.

If I was on the same continent, I would buy some of those items.

jetinteriorguy
11-22-2022, 08:08 AM
I’m still using all of my old reloading equipment.

Bazoo
11-22-2022, 12:10 PM
Heck I think it’s best to see pictures of that old stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Thin Man
11-28-2022, 09:43 AM
And I'm still waiting for anyone to use the trigger word for these materials - "vintage". That's all it takes to get people looking at your merchandise.

jmorris
11-28-2022, 10:26 AM
What do you think, should they get tossed into the garbage, is there a vintage reloading museum that would take them? Any other ideas?
Thanks,

I wouldn’t throw them away, that’s for sure. I’ll send you postage and make book ends out of them before I would trash them.

Actually, I generally loan my old unused equipment out to new guys, so they can see if reloading is something they want to do before laying out a lot of cash on equipment.