PDA

View Full Version : New world rifle record

GregLaROCHE
11-11-2022, 03:19 AM
I just saw this video about the furthest shot made by a rifle. Does anyone have more information on the rifle and cartridge ?
https://youtube.com/shorts/nD53r3uLE5U?feature=share

M-Tecs
11-11-2022, 03:43 AM
Here you go.

https://www.outdoorlife.com/guns/new-world-record-longest-rifle-shot/

GregLaROCHE
11-11-2022, 05:57 AM
Thanks!

jonp
11-11-2022, 06:45 AM
IDK, 69 attempts to hit the target over several hours which is a less than 1.5% success ratio doesn't impress me much. That sounds more like luck than anything.

recumbent
11-11-2022, 07:17 AM
IDK, 69 attempts to hit the target over several hours which is a less than 1.5% success ratio doesn't impress me much. That sounds more like luck than anything.

Agree, just dumb luck.

Murphy
11-11-2022, 09:08 AM
I have read the story about this shot sometime back. Said and done, I wasn't that impressed when I got to the part about it taking 69 shot's to accomplish it.

Now, making a shot like that on demand would be a whole different story. I have to agree with jonp and recumbent. The guy finally lucked out and connected.

Murphy

ebb
11-11-2022, 09:32 AM
Ive been in the 1000yd shoot off to win the third sat of the month competition at the Manatee range in Bradenton FL. Ive hit the 8 inch disc 18 out of 21 shots. Ive been to mantee on an nonmatch day and had the wind and mirage so bad I never hit the target at all that whole afternoon. I think tah 69 shots to make a hit is not as good as i would like it to be. But i also know how many conditions there are between the line and the target. Do any of you know how much can happen to the bullet in the amount of time it takes to get to 4.4 miles? i once knew the time of flight when i first read this story. i will look it up on my other forum, it was a long time.

KenH
11-11-2022, 10:25 AM
I read the linked article - 24.6 seconds time of flight out of a 40" barrel! What I'd like to know is once they walked the bullet in for a hit, how many hits did they get out of the next 5 or 10 shots? Surely they didn't stop with the single hit?

"The target’s dimensions (120 inches by 92 inches) made it 1.54 MOA wide and 1.18 MOA tall at 4.4 miles."

Larry Gibson
11-11-2022, 11:05 AM
Apparently, they quit shooting after one hit out of 69 shots. Or perhaps they couldn't hit it again. Either way, based on that, i was also not impressed as it would have been "luck", especially since any corrections made between shots were based on "sound shots" not actual impacts.

However, had it taken 68 shots to get on target [basically zeroed at that range] and then they hit the metal, say, 3 out of 4 or 5 consecutive shots then I would say well done and be impressed. Or, have the zero for that range, they could make several hits "on call" I would certainly be impressed. As of now I'm not as it appears they threw enough shots out until they eventual got a hit.

Sig556r
11-11-2022, 04:05 PM
The more you appreciate this guy...unmodified Swiss K31 open sights 2240yds. Luck or otherwise, pretty impressive.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqwG2caxNo8

GregLaROCHE
11-11-2022, 07:05 PM
I read the linked article - 24.6 seconds time of flight out of a 40" barrel! What I'd like to know is once they walked the bullet in for a hit, how many hits did they get out of the next 5 or 10 shots? Surely they didn't stop with the single hit?

"The target’s dimensions (120 inches by 92 inches) made it 1.54 MOA wide and 1.18 MOA tall at 4.4 miles."

I wouldn’t be surprised if he stopped after that hit. The only place he could go from there is down.

Teemu
11-12-2022, 03:17 AM
Before that new record....
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/08/26/world-record-4380-yard-shot/

Silvercreek Farmer
11-12-2022, 08:59 AM
So I guess if you do it in 68 shots you set a new record. Never heard of that ammo company…

warren5421
11-12-2022, 02:25 PM
If I remember right the Trapdoor was shot at 5 mile, by the Army, on one of the beaches and shot at one minute of angle around 1860's-70's with black powder

kerplode
11-12-2022, 02:47 PM

Completely agree. Lob enough rounds and you'll get a hit eventually.

I bet we could beat that "record" using an M2 and just walking the shots onto the target...Now we just need an M2.

skeettx
11-12-2022, 03:02 PM
If the lead ain't flyin, the meat ain't dyin

But 69 shots is a bit much

jonp
11-12-2022, 03:08 PM
Apparently, they quit shooting after one hit out of 69 shots. Or perhaps they couldn't hit it again. Either way, based on that, i was also not impressed as it would have been "luck", especially since any corrections made between shots were based on "sound shots" not actual impacts.

However, had it taken 68 shots to get on target [basically zeroed at that range] and then they hit the metal, say, 3 out of 4 or 5 consecutive shots then I would say well done and be impressed. Or, have the zero for that range, they could make several hits "on call" I would certainly be impressed. As of now I'm not as it appears they threw enough shots out until they eventual got a hit.

I agree with this. If its walked out then hit a few times ill give the 25-30 to get it there but then i'd like to see something sorta consistent. 25% hits maybe considering the range. Maybe even 10%. With a nearly 99% miss id stand there for a bet if the price was right

waksupi
11-12-2022, 04:50 PM
If I remember right the Trapdoor was shot at 5 mile, by the Army, on one of the beaches and shot at one minute of angle around 1860's-70's with black powder

http://researchpress.co.uk/index.php/firearms/long-range/sandy-hook-1879

akajun
11-12-2022, 06:56 PM
You could do that with an AK given enough ammo and luck
The guys that impress me are the ones that look at the conditions and shoot a clean with high x count every weekend at whatever range they shoot. The ones that can look at the light direction, mirage, and wind, make a few adjustments , and put it in the x ring the first shot.

BLAHUT
11-12-2022, 07:12 PM
You could do that with an AK given enough ammo and luck
The guys that impress me are the ones that look at the conditions and shoot a clean with high x count every weekend at whatever range they shoot. The ones that can look at the light direction, mirage, and wind, make a few adjustments , and put it in the x ring the first shot.

Yes I admire that skill, would love to have that ability.

WRideout
11-12-2022, 08:29 PM
All good reasons for full auto fire.

Wayne

xs11jack
11-12-2022, 09:41 PM
I have read of snipers in the middle east shooting one or more miles and hitting a human target with the first shot. They had to because the target is not going to stand there with the sniper walking his shots up to the target. By the time the sniper got off 3 or so the enemy is going fined you and you are going home in a body bag. 69shots for one hit is just a waste of good ammo.
Ole Jack

11-12-2022, 11:19 PM
If they / he were /was shooting' at me at 4.4 miles, I'd keep my head down. Scoff all you want ~ that's a far piece.

Wolfdog91
11-13-2022, 04:56 AM
Everytime i see a post about this it's the same deal so I must ask. Anyone here actually shoot ELR? Talk to anyone who does ELR ? I've studied and chatted with some folks who are pretty heavy into it and it's a completely different ball game then what the average guy does or thinks.
It's like people saying how it's not impressive for an FClass shooter to shoot the groups they doo at 1000 because they use the equipment they do. Ok sweet, try it
As far as military application, most of these types of setups wouldn't even be used for an antipersonnel role.
But I digress

M-Tecs
11-13-2022, 06:34 AM
For registered competition 1,000 yard or under. A buddy has 1,400 yards on his land but that is informal.

Skill is skill and luck is luck. It's a given to be serious in this arena very very good equipment/loads are required. At distance hitting your target or winning is mostly wind reading ability. That is a skill. When you are pushing the range well beyond a humans wind reading ability you are relying on luck.

Specifically on this shot (given the same equipment) every member here could make this shot. Once you get the elevation you just start lobing they into until you get lucky. That is not skill.

At 4.4 miles wind drift far outweighs the best of the best wind reading abilities.

jonp
11-13-2022, 06:48 AM
Everytime i see a post about this it's the same deal so I must ask. Anyone here actually shoot ELR? Talk to anyone who does ELR ? I've studied and chatted with some folks who are pretty heavy into it and it's a completely different ball game then what the average guy does or thinks.
It's like people saying how it's not impressive for an FClass shooter to shoot the groups they doo at 1000 because they use the equipment they do. Ok sweet, try it
As far as military application, most of these types of setups wouldn't even be used for an antipersonnel role.
But I digress

HIJACK WARNING
Is that you in your profile picture? I've wanted to ask what type of snake is that?