PDA

View Full Version : Anybody want some?

Land Owner
11-10-2022, 06:41 AM
NOT a good morning! The wind is raging here at 65 mph in gusts from the SE. Rain is driving in horizontally at 6 inches per hour. The SE front wall, at the 2nd floor balcony over the front door of this house, is visibly leaking water at a rate of 2 inches per hour, which can't be stopped until the storm passes.

Most of the house towels are in use absorbing the water that is coming into the foyer at the front hallway (through the wall), running under the flooring there, and entering the laundry and downstairs bedroom (feared). Conditions are ripe for black mold in the near future. The eye of the storm is just south of here.

https://i.postimg.cc/VvDC69fg/I_am_Here.jpg

Dio
11-10-2022, 07:43 AM
We haven't had any real measurable rain for a couple months here...please set up some fans and push it NW....thanks!

stubshaft
11-10-2022, 08:30 AM
Hopefully it passes quickly, stay safe!

Finster101
11-10-2022, 08:55 AM
We are just getting the outer bands down here in Ft. Myers with 35-45 mph gusts, but it is playing hell with all the blue tarps on a lot of roofs. There are still a lot of debris piles as well and some of that is getting scattered according to the news with the videos I'm seeing. Fear locally is that with so much debris to possibly fly around it could take out power lines again. Stay safe.

georgerkahn
11-10-2022, 09:00 AM
You and your family are now in our prayers! Just perhaps a stupid suggestion (I apologize!) but many years ago we had a major ice melt compounded with river (ice) jams and the water at a friend's place was blowing in a couple of inches higher than the floor. Reason I was called there was to use my Milwaukee 1 1/2" x 18" drill and we "bit the bullet", drilling a hole right thru his hardwood floor angled to outside, stuffing a cut section of garden hose with electric tape about it to make the tight fit, so 99% (we hoped) of water would drain out minimizing damage. It worked... kind of.
BEST wishes, again, to you and yours!
geo

ascast
11-10-2022, 09:10 AM
BE SAFE ABOVE ALL ELSE ! Can you out run it in the car? Need to ? be safe

Misery-Whip
11-10-2022, 10:42 AM
Hoping for the best. Good luck. Stay put if you can, trees and powerlines will be down/falling.

We get 65mph winds and out infarstructure is a mess. Trees not a big deal with a 044, but steel light posts that bend over the highway, need a different approach...that im not setup for...

M-W

If there isnt living space below, drill holes to let the water thru. Insulation is cheap. Its already wet.

Bmi48219
11-10-2022, 10:45 AM
BE SAFE ABOVE ALL ELSE ! Can you out run it in the car?

Unfortunately the time to bug out was early yesterday. Problem with hurricanes is you may know where they are but you can’t be sure where they’ll come ashore until they do. If you leave and your area is hit hard you may not be able to return for weeks. Or you may be stuck in traffic jambs all the way out. Florida is a long state with only two north-bound freeways that get increasingly jammed up the further north you go during an evacuation.

In 2004 Ivan and then Charlie ran out of steam crossing the state before hitting us. Three weeks after Charlie, Frances, a Cat 4, made landfall three miles from us. Three weeks after Frances, hurricane Jeanne (Cat 3) came ashore a few miles north of where Francis hit. Francis took down most of the unsound structures, Jeanne washed them away.
Nicole looked to be headed right for us but made landfall 30 miles north early this AM. Still windy, but sunny now. Other than downed branches, no apparent damage.
Finster & LandOwner, I hope you’re ok.

MT Gianni
11-10-2022, 12:19 PM
Hope things turn out well. I will stick with my 6 F lows and 18 F highs with blowing and drifting snow.

BLAHUT
11-10-2022, 12:51 PM
Not to sound crud, I will stay with the below zeros, sometimes for weeks, deep snow and a few tornadoes every now and then, chances of getting hit be a tornado, is slim, chanced of getting hit by a hurricane, big...... I lived in FL. for a while. I would rather be back in Alaska, but now settle for Minnesota.
All the best to all in FL. now, hope you can stay safe.

Land Owner
11-10-2022, 12:59 PM
The worst is over. The storm has passed. The wet will dry. The power is on. Creature comforts are still in place. No meat was spoiled. No unrepairable damage was done. Nerves were frazzled for a while. I've had a nap.

I've never been concerned about the wind (to 105 mph), but I was born in water. I, my father, and his father before him were Sailors. That alone makes me a Son of a Son of a Sailor. I have a fascination with and very real concern when it comes to water. Water can mess with you.

Reassessment of the Day - it is a better morning than when it started. Good tidings to each of you and sincere thanks for all of your concerns and well wishes.

lightman
11-10-2022, 01:30 PM
Glad you're ok. Hopefully any damage you sustained will be minor.

popper
11-10-2022, 01:48 PM
Sis-I-L north of Daytona is getting lots of rain and wind, beach getting washed out, again. Be safe.

ebb
11-10-2022, 03:49 PM
it was supposed to hit west palm direct hit but came in far north of here. 3.75 inches of rain yesterday very little today, some wind gusts yesterday. Could have been much worse, God is good.

GhostHawk
11-10-2022, 10:20 PM
Sorry, not interested in trading our blizzard on top of an ice storm for a Hurricane.

But life does get interesting some days doesn't it?

Winger Ed.
11-10-2022, 10:52 PM
They say 'Life's a beach'. I never really understood that until I'd been through some storms near the ocean.

Hope yawl come out OK and don't have any of those lingering problems from it.