PDA

View Full Version : So you're been reloading for a while ...

414gates
11-08-2022, 03:01 PM
.. and you've owned pretty much every brand of press over the years - not necessarily every model, but enough to get a feel for the quality of each brand.

You reload handgun calibers on one or more progressive reloaders as well.

Knowing what you learned over the years, if you were to choose a new progressive reloader for several pistol calibers, what make and model would you choose different from what you already have, or the same again, and why ?

Any features you think you could benefit from now that you didn't think were necessary before ? Any features you thought were great that turned out to be overrated over time ?

Did you ever consider one progressive press to be good enough for multiple cailbers, and do you now prefer dedicated progressive presses for each handgun caliber ?

G W Wade
11-08-2022, 03:15 PM
Just thru the normal course of things I ended up with 2 Dillon 550's. Do everything I expect them to do with minimum problems. GW

toallmy
11-08-2022, 04:58 PM
I am finding this question to be impossible to answer , but I use the reloader that I am most comfortable with the most . Caliber conversations & primer swapping is a moment away at any time .

Winger Ed.
11-08-2022, 05:06 PM
As big an investment as presses are, most people will decide to get one of whatever brand and use it almost forever.

The group that has more than two different brands is pretty small.
Then there is the Dillon cult......... you know what their answers will be.

Martin Luber
11-08-2022, 05:15 PM
I have 2 Star Loaders, a Dillon 550, bought used, a Lee Loadmaster and Pro 1000.

Stars run the bulk of pistol ammo in 38 & 45. Match 45 comes off the heavily modded Loadmaster.

Small primer rifle and everything else off the Dillon. Pro 1000 for oddball stuff. Lee's are fussy but manageable. Star, the best, like a Swiss watch

jetinteriorguy
11-08-2022, 05:15 PM
While not a true progressive, for sheer reliability, simplicity, and quality it’s hard to beat a Lee Classic Cast Turret press. Easy to change calibers and extra turrets for each caliber are cheap. Add a roller handle and shell ejector kit from Inline Fabrication and it’s a fantastic press. Granted it’s slower than a true progressive and takes more effort to pull the handle four times per round vs. one pull per round, it still is easy to produce a pretty fair amount of ammo in a relatively reasonable amount of time without working overly hard.

dverna
11-08-2022, 06:23 PM
Makes a huge difference if shooting 2000, or 20,000 rounds a year. Mostly in one or two calibers, or ten?

Also how much time and how much you "love" to reload factors in.

My answer is what works for me and will not matter to most. This is my main hobby so I have invested heavily in it. Cost is really not a factor when you think of what a serious golfer or a casual boater must spend.

Winger, Dillon cultists have four main attributes. The load a lot, and/or do not like to fiddle with things, and/or are smarter than most and invest wisely, and/or are "too dumb" to get a Lee progressive to run.

In my case, I know I have three of those attributes and will shortly know if I process the last one...just ordered a Lee 6000....so we shall see. LOL

BK7saum
11-08-2022, 06:31 PM
While i don't have a dillon at the moment, if i was going to run a case feeder and bullet feeder Id run a Dillon.

I do have two Hornady lock n load progressives. I run them without case or bullet feeders and the ergonomics work well for that. I never take my right hand off the handle, just pick up a case and a bullet in my left hand, place the bullet to seat and then replace the case in the empty slot when ejected. I can load plenty fast this way to suit my needs. I typically load 400-800 rounds at a session and don't feel handicapped at all wothout the bullet and case feeders. If I were to need more production, I'd probably buy a deck out Dillon 650 or 750 depending on availability.

toallmy
11-08-2022, 06:59 PM
I find a really nice machine set up for 1 caliber alone , to set for long periods of time with the dust cover over it .
It's a shame

414gates
11-09-2022, 02:53 AM
.... if i was going to run a case feeder and bullet feeder Id run a Dillon.

I do have two Hornady lock n load progressives. I run them without case or bullet feeders....

Why not the case and bullet feeder on the LnL AP ?

Walks
11-09-2022, 04:45 AM
I've had a Rockchucker since 1975

A Hornady LNL since it came out. Before that a Hornady Pro-Jector. That replaced a dillon.
Still have a Lyman Spartan single stage under my bench.

Case/bullet feeders are very noisy. They irritate the heck out of Me. Just don't like them.

If I were to buy a new press or start with new equipment.

Hornady L-N-L & RCBS Rockchucker.

Land Owner
11-09-2022, 04:59 AM
RCBS (iirc) estimates there are 2M reloaders in the US. IDK how many "progressive" press types and Mfg's there are. Choice is driven by low cost, and/or cost is immaterial, and/or cycle rate, and/or "no-headache" warranty, and/or what others think, etc. Your mileage WILL DEFINATELY vary.

Each of us uses our own "niche-system" in which we have become thoroughly familiar. I bought one (1) progressive press. My choice is not like anyone else's of whom I am familiar and was driven by the factors of cost, compatibility with existing equipment, brand loyalty, no-questions-asked warranty, and by comparison to some, low(er) annual volume. I think about my progressive today in terms of ROI - Return On Investment, totally amortized, (spoiler alert - salesman ahead) assembled of steel, clean, complete, many tried and true features, a plethora of calibers, makes GREAT ammo, mid-level cycle rate, can be removed and returned to a single stage press, and can I sell it for what I paid? Probably, though the "demand" for an RCBS Piggyback II (discontinued) is limited. I have been WELL SERVED...

JimB..
11-09-2022, 05:36 AM
I’ve owned a lee 1000, Dillon SDB, Hornady LnL ammo plant (case and bullet feeder), and 3 Dillon 650s.

I threw the Lee in the trash and then fished it out for someone that wanted it for free, giving it away was a great investment in my personal life.

The SDB was awesome for pistol. Proprietary dies, but so what. Sold it for pretty much what I had in it, but kinda wish I’d kept it for mid volume pistol like 41mag or 357mag. Sold to make room for the Ammo Plant.

Hornady press was a bit of a disappointment. Even after a trip back for repairs and adjustment it was always stopping for something. The bullet feeder on it ran continuously, and boy was it loud. It went away not long after I got my first Dillon.

I’d gotten a bonus at work or something so finally decided to buy a brand new 650. It ran great, and to this day my only complaint is powder leaking from around the powder funnel. It’s not enough to matter for the rounds being loaded, but after a few hundred rounds it becomes unsightly, have never found a solution. Honestly, I prefer the Hornady powder measure.

Later added a Mr. Bullet feeder, and while a little tricky to swap over, it works great for 9mm and 223.

Peaked at 3 of the Dillons, but recently sold one and waiting for the buyer to pick it up.

I load low volume rifle on a single stage, the Dillon 550 has never appealed to me.

That’s my years long path to Dillon, and if I had it to do over a 650 would have been my second progressive press after the SDB.

Almost forgot, also had an RCBS green machine. Threw it out without thinking that it had collector value. Happy to have it out of my life, but regret that I acted impulsively.

Hope that helps, and good luck with your decision.

C.F.Plinker
11-09-2022, 06:53 AM
My first progressive was a Dillon 300. When the 550s came out I sold it and got a 550B which has been my mainstay for years. I also have a Lee Classic Cast single stage which sees use for loading magnum pistol calibers when I use H110 or 296 powders that are difficult to measure with the Dillon powder measure and also for pulling bullets if necessary. I like it for load workups because I can easily disconnect the fail safe bar to drop single or multiple charges into a pill bottle for measuring test loads then reconnect it for actually making the test loads.

My latest acquisition is a Lee 4000 (also known as the ABLP). I have it set up to load my 3 most used pistol calibers. It takes about 50% longer to load a batch of 100 or 200 than the Dillon so I just use it for batches of 100 or 200 and use the Dillon for batches of 500 or so.

If I were getting started again I would seriously think about starting with the Lee 4000. The ram is directly under station 1. This way it can be readily used as a single stage press while learning to reload. As a single stage it will load pistol and rifle up to 30-06. Like many lee products it is a bit fiddley and requires some "sweat equity" to get it up and running. Caliber changes are easy since the dies are mounted in their quick change bushings and you don't loose the settings while they are not being used. The 4000 can be used as a single stage press, a turret press (one case processed at a time), or as a progressive where 4 cases are processed simultaneously.

I use one frame for multiple calibers with both presses since it doesn't take long to change calibers with either. I did buy a second primer setup for the Dillon so all I have to do is take out the 2 screws to change primer sizes and each of the primer bodies stays adjusted. I did modify the operating handle on the Lee so it has a ball end rather than the roller handle because I sit at about 30-40 degrees to the press. I also have LED lights set up on both to give me a better look when I check to make sure of my powder drops.

stubshaft
11-09-2022, 07:02 AM
Dilloln SDB! Smaller than the 550 and cycles fast.

georgerkahn
11-09-2022, 08:31 AM
Knowing what you learned over the years, if you were to choose a new progressive reloader for several pistol calibers, what make and model would you choose different from what you already have, or the same again, and why ?

I'd again go for a Dillon 550x (my "x" is a "B", but they "improve models" ;)) I've had mine for at least 25 years, thousands upon thousands of loads, and nary a problem. I *do* only use it for pistol calibres.

Any features you think you could benefit from now that you didn't think were necessary before ? Any features you thought were great that turned out to be overrated over time ?

None that come to my mind.

Did you ever consider one progressive press to be good enough for multiple cailbers, and do you now prefer dedicated progressive presses for each handgun caliber ?

A buddy has RCBS Green Machines (imho :() and has three for three each diff calibres. With my Dillon 550B the only minor pia is switching primer size tubes, but other than that, I have 11 tool heads -- each complete with powder measure (which, after use I dump out powder, replacing it with a cut 3" x 5" card noting powder and charge used) -- which -- their changing -- is not even to me a minor inconvenience. That all die stations are set up, and (again) powder is all ready -- I smile how easy it is. One note is I ADD, on occasion, another step where I do an "OCD Powder weight check" where I dump case on to a Determinator scale pan to ascertain weight is still within my QC limits; pour back into case; and continue. I LOVE it!
I have several (Forster Co-Ax, MEC Marksman; and a couple of Redding BOSS presses) I employ for rifle cartridges, with the addition of .22-250 for a Striker pistol in this calibre, and my XP100 in .221 Remington Fireball.
geo

GhostHawk
11-09-2022, 08:38 AM
No progressive, my main press is a lee hand press. Been that way for the past 6 years.

I have a Lee classic cast C type mounted inverted for sizing and gas checks.

And a larger square frame Lee for sizing bottleneck rifle calibers.

Everything else I do on the hand press, but I don't shoot that much.

Save your money and buy a dillon.

BK7saum
11-09-2022, 09:02 AM
Why not the case and bullet feeder on the LnL AP ?
The case and bullet feeders were an afterthought on the LnL. Maybe they work okay now, but i feel the 650/750 Dillons were designed around automation from the getgo.

Just my personal thoughts. The ergonomics for case and bullet placement by hand are about ideal form me and work very well without any feeders for the press.

Soundguy
11-09-2022, 11:08 AM
While not a true progressive, for sheer reliability, simplicity, and quality it’s hard to beat a Lee Classic Cast Turret press. Easy to change calibers and extra turrets for each caliber are cheap. Add a roller handle and shell ejector kit from Inline Fabrication and it’s a fantastic press. Granted it’s slower than a true progressive and takes more effort to pull the handle four times per round vs. one pull per round, it still is easy to produce a pretty fair amount of ammo in a relatively reasonable amount of time without working overly hard.

I agree. I never went past a turret press. I have a friend with a dillon 650.. I just couldn't justify the extreme extra cost for caliber conversions and all of the black magic to actually make it run. I own a few turret and a bunch of single stage.. they do everything I need. If I ever do upgrade.. it might have to be an ammo plant.. after I hit the lottery or something...

oley55
11-09-2022, 11:09 AM
I’d gotten a bonus at work or something so finally decided to buy a brand new 650. It ran great, and to this day my only complaint is powder leaking from around the powder funnel. It’s not enough to matter for the rounds being loaded, but after a few hundred rounds it becomes unsightly, have never found a solution. Honestly, I prefer the Hornady powder measure.

JimB, have you tried using the Hornady Case Activated type powder drops on your 650? I switched both of my 450s over to the case activated drops (well actually a Hornady and a near identical one from RCBS but I don't recall the name RCBS hung on it) with RCBS Uni-flow measures. No more powder leakage or powder bar binding with super fine powders. Yea it seems clunky and loud but it is working for me.

375supermag
11-09-2022, 11:51 AM
Hi...
I run two Hornady LNLs, one set up for small primer and one for large primer. My son runs them at about 400 rounds per hour without the bullet and case feeders. Took the automated case and bullet feeders off the presses...too noisy to use. Mostly load semi auto pistol and .357Magnum on the LNLs.
I bought two Dillon 550s but decided I didn't really need them so I sold them.

We also both use Rock Chuckers for smaller batches and load development. I am retired so I load big bore revolver cartridges on my Rick Chucker usually in batches of between 2-300 at a time.

Soundguy
11-09-2022, 12:05 PM
Rock chucker are great for low volume-high le stage sizing or forming. Love mine.

DocSavage
11-09-2022, 12:18 PM
First Progressive press I bought was a Dillon 450,then a 550 and finally 2 650s. The only complaint with the 650s is the exchanging the primer cup that's why I have 2 650s.

Sig
11-09-2022, 12:37 PM
Run 2 LNL's with bullet & case feeders. The bullet feeder & one case feeder is 3D printed right from here. Only problem is they run me out of primers in a hurry.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?354324-Making-that-Bullet-Collator

tja6435
11-09-2022, 12:41 PM
First progressive was a Loadmaster, but after crushing too many primers, it went into a box where it still resides.

My main press is now the Dillon 650XL, yes the conversion kits are expensive but it’s super nice to have 10 or so tool heads setup with dies already adjusted, takes a few seconds to swap out the tool heads. I like the CNC machined tool heads found on eBay vs the cast Dillon heads and the CNC heads are cheaper.

Swapping from small to large primers does take a few minutes but not difficult. I also have a small and large primer swaging kit that fits into the 650 to allow pocket swaging.

Basically I see the 650/750’s as pretty much a do it all press for anything I’ll ever load. If I need the Rockchucker, I can set it up right next to the 650. Unless there has been a major update to the priming system on the Loadmaster, I have no intention of ever dealing with it again, I love loading ammo, not fiddling with the loader constantly.

JimB..
11-09-2022, 04:04 PM
JimB, have you tried using the Hornady Case Activated type powder drops on your 650? I switched both of my 450s over to the case activated drops (well actually a Hornady and a near identical one from RCBS but I don't recall the name RCBS hung on it) with RCBS Uni-flow measures. No more powder leakage or powder bar binding with super fine powders. Yea it seems clunky and loud but it is working for me.
It is on my list of things to try. When I sold my LnL stuff I held back 3 or 4 powder measures specifically for this, just haven’t gotten to it.

Soundguy
11-09-2022, 04:55 PM
For those that like populated tool heads on a press look at a Lee 3 4 or 5 hole press I love my four hole once you have the tool head populated you pop it in and make ammo takes a few seconds to change over, and the tool heads cost about $15 or less

Rockzilla
11-09-2022, 10:26 PM
Rock Chuckers 70's, still use them, Star(s) 45 ACP, 38 SPL. simply well oiled machines smooth running Use them a lot.
Pro 7's, Projectors- still use them, CH Autochamps, Hornady LNL-AP, Dillon 550-650
Stars for 45 ACP, 38 Spl, Dillon 650-223, 550-9mm, Hornady LNL-AP-308, Pro 7's / Projector(s) Common rounds.
Rock Chucker(s) / Redding BBII, Load development, swaging-case forming, out of all of them the Stars hands down
Just great machines

-Rock

jeepyj
11-09-2022, 10:58 PM
For me, low volume rounds = Rock Chucker. High volume consisting of mostly pistol = couple Dillon 650's. I can then crank out ample ammo relatively easy.

414gates
11-10-2022, 02:47 AM
Has anyone with a LnL AP found that the ejector nub on the baseplate wears down, so the case tries to ride over it causing a bind on ejection ?

j p sixguns welldone
11-10-2022, 08:22 AM
i have always loaded on a single stage press. got my first press a herters super model three at a flea market for 25 dollars then added a couple rockchucker's then the press buying started bonanza, c&h, more herter's twin ram and turret. just picked up a bunch of dillon stuff off a guy who it was givin too and he did not use it, it's a 650 can't wait to get it set up and runnin

JimB..
11-10-2022, 08:32 AM
Has anyone with a LnL AP found that the ejector nub on the baseplate wears down, so the case tries to ride over it causing a bind on ejection ?

I don’t know that the cause was wearing of the ejector nub, it is steel and the cases are brass so that’d take a crazy number of rounds, but yes I had ejection problems.

ascast
11-10-2022, 09:06 AM
" to load a few pistol calibers", just to keep me focused. I use an RCBS for most stuff (rifle). I got a Lee 1000 with all the trimmings and find it a great time saver. With all the case feeders, bullet feeder moving up and down on every stroke. well, I mput stabilizer rods in the bench to reduce the wobble. They have primer feed issues, see utube. I am not sure you ever get that 100 % fixed so you need to inspect ammo before shooting. You would do this anyway. I have seated primers sideways in the Rockchucker more times than I could count and never felt it. I prime on the bench tool now. I have Stars for 38 Spec, 357 Mag, 45ACP. Very nice machine but obsolete, means nobody carries parts. Caliber change costly and time consuming. like months or years till you find what you want. Changing powder cgarge is a PITA as well. Very nice if loading only one load- powder and bullet combo.BTW 38/357 and 45 ACP are fairly common if that's all you want. Generally set up for Police or gun club loads.
My Lee does that and 9mm,10mm, 45 AutoRim, 32-20,25-20, Hornet,380 Auto and on and on. It dies and a shell plate away-lots of dealers, still supported by Lee. They say they will do some rifles. I never tried.
I got a Dillion 550 cast off but have yet to set it up. Looking to load lots of 30-06, 8mm on it.
best wishes, lets know what you decide.

Mal Paso
11-10-2022, 10:04 AM
I'd spend the money and indoor space on a lathe long before a progressive press. I think if I loaded 500-1000 rounds at a time there might be a point. I think the machines are cool, I'd probably get a Dillon but I would need a Reason. And I'm not being critical of anyone who just plain enjoys owning a progressive, I would just rather have something else.

414gates
11-10-2022, 10:43 AM
I don’t know that the cause was wearing of the ejector nub, it is steel and the cases are brass so that’d take a crazy number of rounds, but yes I had ejection problems.

Both mine had the problem after just a couple thousand rounds each, I spot welded them back up and shaped with a dremel. I finished them a bit higher with less clearance for the shellplate groove.

Hornady would have replaced the parts, but I thought I'll try fix it myself first.

I once had a breakage on the part that the shellplate is fixed to and keeps the shellplate above the carrier, which Hornady replaced. It looks like that part is sintered. I may have caused the breakage by overtightening the shellplate bolt.

I mananged to pick up a pair of Pro-Jectors, and so far they seem to be built a little stronger, and as reliable.

Green Frog
11-10-2022, 10:47 AM
One aspect no one seems to have mentioned is the small group of us who collect (or just accumulate) a variety of reloading gear just for the joy of the hunt! I have loaders and gear in orange, green, blue, red, brown grey,etc. but I have to admit that I gravitate toward a couple of my presses depending on what I want to load that day and what press(es) may be handy to use for that caliber. But as far as having a single favorite… NOPE! :mrgreen:
Froggie

414gates
11-10-2022, 02:21 PM
One aspect no one seems to have mentioned is the small group of us who collect (or just accumulate) a variety of reloading gear just for the joy of the hunt! I have loaders and gear in orange, green, blue, red, brown grey,etc. but I have to admit that I gravitate toward a couple of my presses depending on what I want to load that day and what press(es) may be handy to use for that caliber. But as far as having a single favorite… NOPE! :mrgreen:
Froggie

I don't think the group is that small. Anyone who has more reloading presses than they need is a member.

rbuck351
11-11-2022, 01:12 AM
I guess I'm a member of the more presses than I need group. I have a Star, a Texan 12 ga, a Dillon 550b, a Dillon Square deal, three lee pro 1000s and a bunch of single stage and a few turrets. I only have 5 set up to use, they are 2 rock checkers, a bonanza co-ax, the Dillon 550b and an old Lyman Spartan T. I just don't have room for the other 15 or so. I really only use the 550 and the co-ax for reloading. The rock chuckers are used for case forming and they Spartan is used for light case forming where I use several dies/stages for forming a case.

I could get by with just the 550 the co-ax and a rock chucker but I'm building a 40x60 shop so I'm hoping to set up a bunch more of the presses.

Land Owner
11-11-2022, 04:04 AM
There are some true Tim "The Tool Man" Taylor reloading equipment owners on this site. Binford Mfg. would be proud of you.

dogdoc
11-11-2022, 07:59 AM
3 Dillon 550s and 2 650s. One 650 set up for large primer and the other with small for quick caliber conversions . Over the years I have I am much better off getting high quality stuff from the get go if I can afford it. Dillon have minimal problems and I have had several different progressives over the years. I ,of course have multiple single stage and turret presses but I only use those for very low volume stuff like hunting ammo for rifles. Rarely handgun. Buy once cry once

Big Wes
11-11-2022, 08:28 AM
Well, I started out with a Dillon new 550B in 1994, then a few years later came across a SDB for $75.00 with tons of extra stuff included, (tumbler, lots of 45acp components, primers, brass , and small tools, etc. 3 years ago I picked up a used 650 with 308 dies in tool head , 223 dies, in tool head, 45acp dies in tool head, scale, brass, bullets. Earlier this year a Friend gave me an older SDB w/ 9mm and 45 tool heads. scale, primers, brass, bullets, ammo boxes , Lee hand loader,
and other stuff, for free. Last year, I bought a Mec Metallic press, amazingly smooth press. I use it for working up rifle loads.

So I guess I'm on the excessive list! lol! It's hard to pass up a good deal.

Oh yeah, I did send the SDB my friend gave me to Dillon for a going over, Dillon sent me a new press free of charge.

ascast
11-11-2022, 08:45 AM
I too find myself in the froggie camp. I could not tell you how many presses I own. It is true that they seem to get better and better and better. It is easy to get way off topic. For the OP, I would say looking back, I would buy the best Dillion progressive I could get, and a Rock Chucker type single. why Dillion? Eye candy in the catalogs and not much bad comments.

John Guedry
11-11-2022, 09:44 AM
I own 2 presses both Lymans. If I needed a progressive it would be a Dillon. But I don't shoot that much.

15meter
11-11-2022, 10:07 AM
I'd run out of fingers and toes long before I counted up all the presses I've owned since I started loading in 1975.

That said, 80% of the calibers I load for currently (about 60 different rifle, pistol and shotgun) get loaded on a Rockchucker. 5 to 100 rounds at a time. The other 20% go across one of 5 MEC progressives of one flavor or another or either a Dillon SDB or a 550B. With 80% of the total number of rounds being done on the progressives an 20% on the RCBS.

I got lucky on the Dillons, the SDB was given to me, the 550B I got off Craigslist list for $100. Would have had a hard time spending that kind of cash to buy new. I probably would have started with Lee.

After reading the number of threads here about all the "fixes" and "modifications" and "work arounds" on the Lee presses I'm glad for my Dillons.

I have presses that work and work well out of the box. And for almost 20 years.

I guess having tools that work first time, every time is a bad thing.

Idz
11-11-2022, 11:10 AM
Lee presses arethe best buy if you are mechanically inclined. Lots of folks tinker with them because they are interested and capable of tweaking them. I just loaded 350 rounds of 9mm, on my Loadmaster, with a single inverted case for the run so Lee's are capable. If you have no interest or capability with mechanical devices then spend the big bucks on a Dillon.

BJung
11-11-2022, 12:19 PM
I don't shoot often so I rely on my Rockchucker. When I decide to load in volume, I have an RCBS Piggyback II. I could own more but I limit my reloading tools where everything must fit in a USGI medical box that is maybe 28"x28"x36". That includes my press, dies, molds, and pot

toallmy
11-11-2022, 05:24 PM
I am about to the point of going back to loading in batches with a single stage so I can enjoy reloading again , but first I need to unload a bunch of brass .
Point being that you can choose to produce ammunition at the rate you are comfortable with . For some more is desired loading by the thousands - while others could get by with a box or so at a time .

15meter
11-11-2022, 05:51 PM
Lee presses arethe best buy if you are mechanically inclined. Lots of folks tinker with them because they are interested and capable of tweaking them. I just loaded 350 rounds of 9mm, on my Loadmaster, with a single inverted case for the run so Lee's are capable. If you have no interest or capability with mechanical devices then spend the big bucks on a Dillon.

I have been a wood shop teacher(until Jimmy Carter crashed the economy and I got laid-off), farmer(almost 900 acres of corn, soybeans and wheat) between Dad and I, we did 98% of the mechanical repairs, special machine tool builder--CMM's--coordinate measuring machines. Installed/calibrated and repaired them in GM, Ford, Chrysler, John Deere, Pratt and Whitney, Boeing, Lockheed and multiple other manufacturers. Turned in my tool box and moved over to the engineering/training/sales side and trained programmers and operators on said CMM's. And I also installed/calibrated/repaired optical comparators over my 30+ year career in the metrology field. I've worked in manufacturing plants in 33 states, 2 Canadian provinces, Puerto Rico, Mexico and China.

If I need a mechanical challenge again, I'll go buy another Italian Harley. That was way more fun working on.

If you look at my avatar, I build my own iceboats.

So far today I've installed a new service door in my work shop and changed oil in my Simplicity zero turn.

To imply that people that buy Dillon equipment are incapable of fixing a lee is rather insulting.

I guess having tools that work first time, every time is truly a bad thing.

jetinteriorguy
11-11-2022, 06:27 PM
You can avoid upside down 9mm cases pretty easy. Just get some thin 1/16”-1/8” plastic sheeting and make a round piece about 4” in diameter and drill a hole in the middle so you can run an appropriate sized screw through it and attach it to the collator. Then flip the collator over and mark the four holes with a marker. Remove the disc and drill four 1/2” holes where they are marked and reattach this disc to the collator. You’ll never have another inverted case with 9mm again.

B1GB1RD
11-12-2022, 09:57 PM
Love my 3 dillon xl 650s

jmorris
11-15-2022, 06:54 PM
For a manual machine, I’d find a Dillon 650, they just have the most bullet proof primer feed system of any press I have used. The also no longer made GSI bullet feeder would be another item I would find too. It’s not a dropper but a feed/seat at #4 tool head that retains the powder check at #3 and allows crimp on #5.

Beyond that I would have driven machines with computer control, swage stations, and other process checks implemented.

If all I did was load a few and switch to something else, I’d pick a 550, just because no progressive has the ability to swap between small and large faster.

lightman
11-17-2022, 01:44 PM
I own a Dillon and like it, so thats my suggestion. Good design, good CS. I use a RockChucker that I've had since the 70's for low volume stuff.

LabGuy
11-19-2022, 09:02 PM
I have been loading on a RockChucker since 1983. It still meets my needs. I love automation! If I were get a progressive today, and since money is not a problem for either of us, we get both get a Dillon 1100.