PDA

View Full Version : 8.6 Blackout 1:3 twist cast boolits are possible!!!

HillbillyNC
11-08-2022, 10:38 AM
Not looking to start a discussion on the merits of the cartridge. This is an exciting time, being at the beginning of something that challenges traditional wisdom. A very few folks have begun to work with cast in the 1:3 twist barrel. There is a very detailed work up on one of the 8.6 Facebook groups that shows the cast boolits holding together until 1115fps with a 24bhn alloy but the poster declined to share the alloy ingredients/percentages. The mold used was a 338 dia 270 grain NOE spire point with no lube grooves. I would like to also do some cast experiments but wanted to get a heavier, flat point mold to work with. NOE has already manufactured, but is currently out of stock, the HTC339-315-FN-BZ1 315gr flat point. There is currently a post on the NOE forums directed at getting NOE to make more of these. Apparently the mold was originally designed for the 338 Specter but will also work in all 338 cal applications.

If you are interested in a 338 mold, and this would work for you in your pursuits, could you please sign up on the NOE forums page?

HTC339-315-FN-BZ1 (https://noebulletmolds.com/smf/index.php?topic=3412.0)

waksupi
11-08-2022, 12:40 PM
At 1 in 3 twist rate, that isn't a rifled barrel, it's threaded!

Larry Gibson
11-08-2022, 01:00 PM
At 1 in 3 twist rate, that isn't a rifled barrel, it's threaded!

No kidding........

11-08-2022, 02:06 PM
Oh, my. That bullet must be hard and slow to survive a 1/3 twist.

HillbillyNC
11-08-2022, 02:27 PM
At 1050fps, that's a mere 252000rpm.... But it's being done with success. I myself am looking forward to playing around with this and trying to leverage all the old wisdom and tricks to get it to work. Instead of hardening up the alloy to point of brittleness, my 1st experiment will be with copper infused alloys in order to lower the bhn and maintain bullet integrity. Ideally it would be awesome to have a subsonic 315gr flat point with the 1:3 twist that expands. The fast twist should go a long way toward expansion if you can strike the balance.

dondiego
11-08-2022, 02:40 PM
What is there to gain from this twist?

Dusty Bannister
11-08-2022, 03:20 PM
Pistol velocities from a rifle? Maybe it is just to see if it will work and how fast can it go with present technology and practices.

Hanzy4200
11-08-2022, 09:13 PM
That caliber really interested me when I first saw it. I know I will need to be patient, and wait for more main stream manufacturers to offer rifles chambered in it. I know very little about it. Is there a parent case that in can be formed from?

Hanzy4200
11-08-2022, 09:13 PM
Pistol velocities from a rifle? Maybe it is just to see if it will work and how fast can it go with present technology and practices.

It's designed to be shot suppressed. Like a larger .300 Blackout.

technojock
11-09-2022, 03:26 AM
Wouldn't a .38 Special or 9mm carbine make more sense? They already shoot a boolit around 125g at subsonic speeds.

Tony

kenton
11-09-2022, 07:14 AM
Wouldn't a .38 Special or 9mm carbine make more sense? They already shoot a boolit around 125g at subsonic speeds.

Tony

It would if you wanted 125gr boolits instead of 315gr.

I think the 8.6 blackout is an interesting idea. Not my cup of tea but I hope to hear more about what others are doing with it.

stubshaft
11-09-2022, 04:38 PM
Personally, I think it is a waste of time and money, but to each their own.

ebb
11-09-2022, 05:03 PM
I totally agree stub shaft. JD jones has been shooting 338 subs for years and never saw the need for the extremes that this cartridge is coming up with. I don't see how this survives for 2 more years. How much drop does this thing have at 200 with a 100yd zero. We are spoiled with the high-performance cartridges we have today and this is so low performance I don't see why anyone would bother. One of the guys that posts on bench rest central developed a sus sonic 50 caliber, with a super long sleek bullet and it was great only he couldn't stand the recoil for more than a shot or two.

technojock
11-09-2022, 05:11 PM
Doesn't the .45 Colt shoot about a 300g bullet at subsonic velocity?

Tony

475AR
11-09-2022, 05:18 PM
While I am not planning to jump on the 8.6 Blackout bandwagon, I think using cast bullets in that fast of a twist will cause accuracy issues with cast bullets, but it needs to be tested to be sure.
I have heard that using standard jacketed/ lead core bullets is cautioned against because they could blow up in flight, if that is true I don't think lead only bullets will be much better??

Castaway
11-09-2022, 07:00 PM
Another designer cartridge and the only apparent advantage is to sell rifles. If you get one, you may find a spot for it in your safe next to your 45 GAP pistol

Barry54
11-09-2022, 07:15 PM
What is there to gain from this twist?

They talk up the ridiculous twist being more effective on game. I would try one with a twist rate optimized for the 300 grain matching subsonic.

Are there any gel comparisons between subsonic with the 1:3 vs what JDJ used?

475AR
11-09-2022, 08:19 PM
Another designer cartridge and the only apparent advantage is to sell rifles. If you get one, you may find a spot for it in your safe next to your 45 GAP pistol

Why everyone b hating on the GAP...:shock:
I built a 10" DI AR15, throated it to run 250gr bullets @ 850-950fps and it shoots beautifully and to top it off it is the quietest 45 caliber I have suppressed.:bigsmyl2:
It is so surprising I have KKM building me a 7" 45 GAP threaded barrel for my long slide G21, hopefully it will be as quiet as MY GAP AR15.

reddog81
11-09-2022, 08:58 PM
Doesn't the .45 Colt shoot about a 300g bullet at subsonic velocity?

Tony

Sure, but the rifle bullet is more aerodynamic. It'll retain velocity better, and have less drop over a given distance. And you can't shoot a 45 Colt out of a semi auto rifle.

technojock
11-09-2022, 09:36 PM
It still seems like an answer in search of a question...

Tony

reddog81
11-09-2022, 10:43 PM
It still seems like an answer in search of a question...

Tony

Realistically, You could say the same thing about any cartridge developed in the last 110 years.

technojock
11-09-2022, 10:59 PM
If that were true, there would be a lot less guns in my safe. 8-)

Tony

Fitz
11-09-2022, 11:43 PM
Think i will stick with my 375 Raptor 370 gr powder coat boolits 1 in 10 twist great accuracy out to and past 100 yds brass made from milsurp , I don't see the 1 in 3 twist as being needed.

technojock
11-10-2022, 03:46 AM
I've always wanted a .375 H&H or a .416 Rigby but for the life of me I can't explain why.

Tony

Castaway
11-10-2022, 07:36 AM
475AR, the point is very few people use a 45 GAP. If a cartridge is good, the popularity will spread and stay with us a few years. Other than from devoted reloaders, you’d have a hard time going to WalMart and buying a box. On another note, it seems you’ve filled the criteria of a heavy subsonic bullet out of a semi auto with your 45 GAP conversion. Maybe you could resurrect it

475AR
11-10-2022, 09:39 PM
475AR, the point is very few people use a 45 GAP. If a cartridge is good, the popularity will spread and stay with us a few years. Other than from devoted reloaders, you’d have a hard time going to WalMart and buying a box. On another note, it seems you’ve filled the criteria of a heavy subsonic bullet out of a semi auto with your 45 GAP conversion. Maybe you could resurrect it
I think that marketing types are the casue of cartridges to fail, they pump them up and when people get them and do not perform as advertised then they drop them and the cartridges get a bad rap. Case in point the 41 magnum has been said to be a dead cartridge that won't die, the 44 magnum can do everything the 41 can and do it better. When in fact it is the opposite, the 41 can do everything the 44 can and in most times with bullets of less weight and less recoil.
I don't want to revive the 45 GAP, because if it does become popular then I would have to pay more for brass, and as you mentioned I reload and factory ammo isn't a priority for me.
Another case in point is with the 8.6 Blackout, as has been mentioned by many in this thread it is a solution looking for a problem. BUT if people want to work with it and experiment with it more power to them, and if they enjoy shooting it all the better. As I stated I am not going to jump on the 8.6 bandwagon as I already have a subsonic. 338 that will shoot the same bullets as the 8.6 and use a smaller platform (AR15) and a lot less powder.

cainttype
11-12-2022, 11:38 AM
Although I have no use, or interest, in the “8.6 Blackout” I have seen it used.
1) NEVER try to shoot at it’s super-sonic potential through a suppressor without testing the bullet first with the suppressor removed… A factory Winchester 225 grain .338 WILL be particles as it exits the muzzle, and any suppressor will be toast on shot number one…. I know this to be fact! Lol

2) The idea (of course) was delivering a really high sectional density projectile at high RPM to keep it stable at the sub-sonic speeds as long as possible…It actually works, but is extreme.
Special projectiles were developed with this weirdo that basically open/expand into several large blade-like appendages on impact that look wild in ballistic gel, spinning through the gelatin like a big cork-screwing broad-head… slashing giant spinning wound cavities…
I’m sure more than a few were impressed enough by those photos to race out and get in line for an early version.

A buddy shooting it did state that someone had “successfully” used cast at 900 fps, IIRC, without the lead bullet fragmenting.
He also said the report included no accuracy information at those speeds… I suggested that maybe it was because it couldn’t hit paper. ;)

Lastly, lots of ideas that aren’t very good often sell like hot-cakes and outlast their usefulness. I’ll avoid mentioning several so their current fans don’t get their feelings hurt.
Contrastingly, lots of very good ideas never get the attention they deserve and simply slip away. Some of those see a resurgence later and suddenly get lots of favorable attention, from the same people that ignored them originally.

The latest example of a good idea dying, but quickly returning to great fanfare is the PRC line of cartridges… The greatest thing since sliced bread…Precision Rifle Cartridge…
Truth is, they are nothing more than the excellent case design of the Ruger Compact Magnums, that the shooting public at large basically ignored and let “die” in a very short time, being necked to various calibers and finally getting the credit they deserved 15 years ago.

Market success is not always a determining factor in the value of an idea, or the quality of a design.

sse
11-12-2022, 01:49 PM
Well said cainttype

Castinator
09-08-2023, 11:18 AM
Not looking to start a discussion on the merits of the cartridge.

But of course every chucklehead here did exactly that.

murf205
09-08-2023, 12:41 PM
1:3" twist, wow, talk about spin drift.

Stopsign32v
09-08-2023, 11:07 PM
That's a VERY expensive semi auto to feed.

No thanks

technojock
09-17-2023, 01:21 AM
Any one here actually shoot one yet? If Henry offered one in a single shot with a 4 to 1 twist rate, I'd have a hard time passing it up...

Tony

J.R.
12-28-2023, 02:37 PM
It was designed to be accurate out to 300 yards and still retain enough rotational energy to consistently expand. It was taking everything learned from the development and use of the 300 BO and improving upon it.

J.R.
12-28-2023, 02:48 PM
Not out to 300 yards. And, as it has a lot of rotational energy, it retains that energy, so has much more energy on target. It’s just rotational rather than plain velocity.

barrabruce
12-28-2023, 04:17 PM
Being subsonic wouldn’t the b.c. Of the pointy high speed bullet be pointless.
It probably needs the spin speed to fragment and stay stable but bullets loose very little spin speed by the time they hit something and a round nose would be a more slicker.
The drop difference at range would only be a couple of clicks difference out to 300 at least.

Obviously going for the 500-600 range area.

Personally can’t see any point unless you like to buy expensive hard to get boutiques bullets and need to go right out there.

Have to spot something then back away far enough to justify the expense of a shot.

Be like plinking with a 338 Lapua magnum at 100 yrds

The unwashed heaven in me tells me so.

MotelAlpha
12-30-2023, 02:39 PM
I don't post often, but read almost everything here, so,The SAMMI organization is coming out with the specs for the 8.6BLK in a month or so, and they are "supposed" to be regulating the twist at 1:5. This means once they release the specs more folks will be getting onboard just like 300BLK. The 8.6 was specifically developed for "subsonics" and not high velocities. The high /tight twist is supposed to serve two purposes, 1) to help stabilize the larger boolits ,and 2) make one heck of a wound channel....seems to work in both cases.
Happy New Year