PDA

View Full Version : Pteranodon thighs

quilbilly
11-04-2022, 03:34 PM
Has anybody else noticed that chicken thighs (frozen or unfrozen) from the grocery store have gotten much larger recently? They are huge in my neck of the woods recently. Have the growers found a new way to grow chickens faster and with less food? Not complaining - just curious.

Wayne Smith
11-04-2022, 04:16 PM
Don't know, but the frozen breasts we get from Sam's are huge enough that we split one for the two of us - routinely, not just some of the time. This has been true for the past few years.

45_Colt
11-04-2022, 04:45 PM
Yes, growth hormones. It is in all food today. I've become verrryy picky about which meats I purchase. An example was that ham steaks were on sale last week. I looked at and checked every single one in the case before I selected the one to purchase.

The others had a ton of gristle, fat, and looked old (pig old). So a no go there.

All food today needs to be looked over carefully. Even produce such as lettuce, oranges, potatoes and so on. Oh, and be sure to check the sell by dates. I've found food stuffs going on a month old sell by. Yea, your problem, not to be pushed onto me.

It just isn't the same as it used to be.

45_Colt

Johnch
11-04-2022, 04:48 PM
I seem to remember seeing a You Tube video about how chickens are raised
Some can barely walk from how big they grow

John

FISH4BUGS
11-04-2022, 05:08 PM
Exactly the reason we buy our processed whole chickens from a local farm. I know what she feeds them, how they are housed, and how they get treated. We average about 18 chickens a year.
$4 a pound for whole chickens.....average 5 lbs each....bagged with twist ties.....they go straight into the freezer....and they are worth every penny.

jonp
11-04-2022, 06:27 PM
Yes. The problem with the chicken and turkeys is that there is no one to slaughter them when needed so they were held over getting bigger. I talked to someone at a turkey grower last year about that.

Misery-Whip
11-04-2022, 06:52 PM
Ive got a sexlink hen thats 3 years old. Still lays, good sized, but lean. Ive gotten to hold of her a few times, its her feathers that make her look fat.

Dont think I dont feed her or the others, they cost a small fortune for high quality feed. Not purina stuff.

So they are feeding them something that isnt natural.

ulav8r
11-04-2022, 07:29 PM
We raised chickens for Tyson for a few years. When we first started averaged 5 1/2 to 6 weeks per batch. After 3-4 years seldom exceeded 5 weeks for the same size chickens, usually averaging just over 5 pounds. Yes, they were putting growth hormones and antibiotics in the feed.

DocSavage
11-04-2022, 07:39 PM
I've been calling the huge chicken thighs Teenage Mutant Ninja Chickens

granville_it
11-04-2022, 08:20 PM
There not turkey?.

Mark

Mal Paso
11-04-2022, 08:48 PM
They grow the chicken parts in a lab now so they can make them any size they want. That way they don't have to grow beaks, feathers and the less profitable parts like backs. More than likely a bean counter chose the size as the most profitable.

farmer66
11-04-2022, 09:11 PM
We have bought fresh rotisseree cooked whole chickens at Sams Club for a few years. They are huge and $4.98 each. I don't know how they can make a living at that price. We get at least one a week.

alfadan
11-04-2022, 09:46 PM
Yes, and I think they're gross. Unnatural and flavorless. They are so thick you can't cook them through without burning them. Always have blood against the bone.

rancher1913
11-05-2022, 08:20 AM
Exactly the reason we buy our processed whole chickens from a local farm. I know what she feeds them, how they are housed, and how they get treated. We average about 18 chickens a year.
$4 a pound for whole chickens.....average 5 lbs each....bagged with twist ties.....they go straight into the freezer....and they are worth every penny.

we had thoughts of selling some of the ones we raise but nobody would pay the 20 bucks a head that we needed to come out even on them, so we only do about 50 a year and they all go in our freezer.

10x
11-05-2022, 08:22 AM
Yes, and I think they're gross. Unnatural and flavorless. They are so thick you can't cook them through without burning them. Always have blood against the bone.

Blood left in chicken meat is because they gas them rather than decapitate them. When we had farm raised and home butchered chicken we never had blood in the meat.
I only buy halal chicken now, it has been bled properly and there is never blood around the bones.

Thumbcocker
11-05-2022, 09:49 AM
https://youtu.be/G__PVLB8Nm4

Hometek
11-05-2022, 11:04 AM
Yes, growth hormones. It is in all food today. I've become verrryy picky about which meats I purchase. An example was that ham steaks were on sale last week. I looked at and checked every single one in the case before I selected the one to purchase.

The others had a ton of gristle, fat, and looked old (pig old). So a no go there.

All food today needs to be looked over carefully. Even produce such as lettuce, oranges, potatoes and so on. Oh, and be sure to check the sell by dates. I've found food stuffs going on a month old sell by. Yea, your problem, not to be pushed onto me.

It just isn't the same as it used to be.

45_Colt

So just to clear up a common misconception. Nobody feeds growth hormones to chicken. Not only is that a turn off to certain consumers, it's also impractical with an animal that grows so fast. USDA has banned growth hormones in chickens since the 1950s.
https://www.chickencheck.in/blog/4-reasons-why-chickens-are-not-given-added-hormones/#:~:text=No%20chicken%20sold%20or%20raised,in%20po ultry%20since%20the%201950s.

The birds have been bred to get to slaughter size incredibly fast and the way growth hormones work it's just impractical. Antibiotics are usually what people are thinking of when they object to modern farming practices. I raise pullets for the cage free/pasture raised egg producers. We don't use antibiotics. There is a lot of misconceptions that consumers have of the poultry industry. There will always be people that will raise a chicken just like you want and remember from the 50s. They will be very expensive. Some people value that enough to pay the premium, the far majority wants to get their Thursday KFC special for as cheap as they can.

Being in the niche market, our biggest challenge is to incorporate ethical practices in a way that is financially attractive to the few consumers that value such farming practices. In US today, you live close enough to a farm that grows such an animal, the question is then, do you value such a product enough to put your money where your mouth is, or has the extremely low cost of food lured you to the lowest common denominator.

https://www.thepeoplehistory.com/50sfood.html

According to this website, in 1950 chicken was .43 per lb, eggs were .79 per dozen, adjusted for inflation that is 5.30/lb and 9.73/dz. The change in price reflects the economy of raising poultry in the modern age with modern practices, larger operations required to compensate for far lower profit margins, and the ease of transporting farm goods. It's easy to have a doom and gloom attitude, but never in the history of mankind has man had such buying power and choice of goods. I guarantee that every one here has a person or store within driving distance that has heritage breed broilers and eggs within 6/lbs and 10/dz that would love to have you as a customer. Patronize these growers, reward them for providing such a valuable serive, and watch the magic of capitalism.

CBH
11-05-2022, 11:12 AM
Selective breeding over many generations to acquire the chicken that you want. Example: Laying hens for major egg producers typically have very little meat but can lay more eggs then others. They live approx. 100 weeks before they’re taken out of production.

Hometek
11-05-2022, 11:34 AM
What's also very interesting about brown layer hens that are raised commercially. If they are taken care of and look nice at the end of 100 weeks, there are groups of people, most of the population of the world actually, that prefer the taste and texture of layer hens for soup. And pay upwards of 8-15$ per bird. Spanish speaking peoples call it sopa de gallina, the French coq au vin, the Chinese dùnjītāng lǎomǔjī, Americans just call it chicken bullion. We add it to soup to help out the bland tasting chicken we buy from Krogers ect. The disconnect of the average American from the origin of the food they consume is frightening.

Omega
11-05-2022, 12:06 PM
I wish Popeyes would get some of these large chickens. It seems their drumsticks and thighs are much smaller lately, but priced the same.

FISH4BUGS
11-05-2022, 12:08 PM
What's also very interesting about brown layer hens that are raised commercially. If they are taken care of and look nice at the end of 100 weeks, there are groups of people, most of the population of the world actually, that prefer the taste and texture of layer hens for soup. And pay upwards of 8-15$ per bird. Spanish speaking peoples call it sopa de gallina, the French coq au vin, the Chinese dùnjītāng lǎomǔjī, Americans just call it chicken bullion. We add it to soup to help out the bland tasting chicken we buy from Krogers ect. The disconnect of the average American from the origin of the food they consume is frightening.

Again, exactly why we buy from local farms - 18+ chickens/year and Texas Longhorn Burger and stew meat. Usually 50lbs a pop at $7/lb.
You pay more, yes, but the food is better.
PLUS a 35x35 garden to put veggies into canning and vacuum sealed freezing.
3 freezers and a generator with 50 gallons of backup gas.
Just being prepared, that's all.

quilbilly
11-05-2022, 02:55 PM
Yes. The problem with the chicken and turkeys is that there is no one to slaughter them when needed so they were held over getting bigger. I talked to someone at a turkey grower last year about that.
That makes a lot of sense since the Fauci virus hysteria. We, too, occasionally split a thigh for dinner when they get "pteranodon size". This reminds me that I need to get out duck hunting for some real flavor.

jonp
11-05-2022, 06:09 PM
I wish Popeyes would get some of these large chickens. It seems their drumsticks and thighs are much smaller lately, but priced the same.

Yeah but those sandwiches are so good

technojock
11-05-2022, 11:03 PM
The ones I get from Costco are about the same size as they have always been only the price is bigger...

Tony

Omega
11-06-2022, 12:02 AM
Yeah but those sandwiches are so good
They are good, not hysteria good, but good.

375supermag
11-06-2022, 12:16 PM
Interesting remarks about the size of chickens...
Wish KFC could find some of those huge chickens, it seems like the pieces they serve get smaller and smaller and the prices get higher and higher.
Pretty much given up on buying anymore KFC...just no value for what it costs.

10x
11-06-2022, 12:45 PM
Interesting remarks about the size of chickens...
Wish KFC could find some of those huge chickens, it seems like the pieces they serve get smaller and smaller and the prices get higher and higher.
Pretty much given up on buying anymore KFC...just no value for what it costs.

It is the high price of oil that has increased KFC costs. One could run a diesel engine on some of the oil dripped from KFC finished offerings.
My last A&W sausage and egger on an english muffin had about a tablespoon of grease drip out of it.
I have stopped eating deep fried fast food mostly because the deep fryer oil isn't kept hot enough to seal the coating before the oil saturates the coating.