PDA

View Full Version : BP shotshell report II

omgb
01-17-2006, 02:46 AM
Latest on BP shotshells. OK, I hunted with them Sunday. Wow! They worked like a charm. I bagged 4 pheasants with not one crip. As I said before, skeet is another matter. On the singles it's OK but on doubles, you can't see the second target after the first shot. the recoil is actually less than with smokeless. The "push" nature of it rather than the sharp slap of smokeless makes it a lot easier on the shoulder.

I gave up trying to put a slight bevel or roll crimp on the brass. I just use a 1- gauge wad and a few drops of super glue. Works like a charm. I bought an antique roll crimper for use with paper hulls. It works with plastic hulls too but not nearly so well. Plastic cheapo Estates work very well. One just primes, adds 110 grains of 2F, an over powder wad, a lubed cushin wad, 11/8 oz of shot, an over shot card and roll on the crimp. Easy as pie. Not fast to be sure but very easy.

Shotgun clean up is a snap too. I fill a bucket half way with hot water. I chuck a cleaning rod in my cordless drill and screw on a brush. I trigger the drill, run the brush through the bore and into the water. I pull it up and back to the chamber and then down and into the water. Spin for a few seconds under water to clean the brush and repeat. I pull the brush out, put a patch over it and spin it throuhg the bore. Pull the patch and pull the brush. Repeat two times. Mop with bore mop coated in gun oil. Wipe the action clean. Oil the action and outside of the barrels and receiver. Done. This is too easy. I'm loving the heck out of this. The guys at the club (Quail Unlimited) look at me like I'm crazy but who cares. I'm having the time of my life.

The misfires I was having went away when I used pistol rather than rifle primers. i should have read up before I started. Shotguns don't hit the primers nearly as hard as rifles do. That's why the old manuals all called for large pistol primers. it pays to read.

R J Talley

Buckshot, we need to talk about that tool. I'm not roll crimping the brass hulls but something to press and smooth out the card wad would be nice.

R J Talley

Buckshot
01-19-2006, 04:22 AM
..............SOunds as if you're having fun, and that's what it's all about. 10-4 on the wad deal.

...................Buckshot