PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke engine issue

porthos
10-31-2022, 02:37 PM
i have a husqvarana leaf blower (2 stroke). for years i would prime it 3 times and pull the starter cord 3 times and it started. a few weeks ago it would not start. took it to a local guy. when i picked it up he tried to start it and it took many pulls to do so. how much? $ 35.00. so i paid him and left thinking it will be ok. NOT so. priming and many pulls didn't work. neither did starting fluid. but, pulling the spark plug and squriting lighter fluid worked like a charm??? talked to a neighbor and he said that he had good luck with a product called mechanic in a bottle. bought that, a new plug and comercial 50/50 fuel mix. after all this; nothing works except the lighter fluid, time for a new blower unless there is something that one of you guys can help me.

elmacgyver0
10-31-2022, 03:14 PM
Carburetor problem.
Take apart, clean everything.
A plugged up small passageway will screw it up.
I usually do this myself but took my Husqvarna string trimmer in for repair as the prime bulb was sticking in.
They replaced the carburetor and told me to use the pre-mixed fuel or use gas without ethanol in it as ethanol eats away at the diaphragms and fuel lines.
It ran fine for a lot of years, but I will make sure I don't use gasohol in the future.
The repair cost me almost $140.00, I was willing to pay it as the trimmer is a high-end unit and I have an extended chain saw attachment for it.
The pre-mix fuel is outlandish in price, but it can be left in the unit over the winter without issue and a gallon lasts a long time in these small engines.

45DUDE
10-31-2022, 03:15 PM
Ethanol kills the fuel line and rots rubber in a short time. Buy a couple of spare plugs and save your arm. The carb may be ok as the rubber is resistant to ethanol. The line gets soft.

elmacgyver0
10-31-2022, 03:22 PM
Ethanol kills the fuel line and rots rubber in a short time.

Wonderful stuff, isn't it?

Since it is the most prevalent fuel these days one would think they would use materials that resist it.

Finster101
10-31-2022, 03:27 PM
Wonderful stuff, isn't it?

Since it is the most prevalent fuel these days one would think they would use materials that resist it.

Agreed. There is absolutely no reason not to since automotive and newer marine equipment is designed for it.

elmacgyver0
10-31-2022, 03:38 PM
Agreed. There is absolutely no reason not to since automotive and newer marine equipment is designed for it.

I knew better, but I just never gave it a thought, I guess my excuse is advanced age.
I guess the next victim will be my Husqvarna chain saw. Lovely.

porthos
10-31-2022, 03:39 PM
the repair guy said that he installed a new carburator. think tomorrow i'll just get a new one

Winger Ed.
10-31-2022, 03:39 PM
There's probably a diaphragm in the carb. it does the job of a fuel pump.

It's probably gotten stiff and not pumping.
They all go bad over a few years, but the new age gas speeds up the destruction of it.

If your guy only charged $35. that doesn't sound like enough to rebuild the carb.
Several years ago, the going rate was around $85 for that.
$35. darn sure doesn't buy a new carb. and the instalation for it.

$35. would more than likely get it sprayed off with carb. cleaner, and tinkered with.

It takes a little digging to find them, but there are kits available for those little carbs.

Finster101
10-31-2022, 03:42 PM
the repair guy said that he installed a new carburator. think tomorrow i'll just get a new one

Unless your area is way different than mine, I don't see how you got a new carb with installation for 35 bucks.

elmacgyver0
10-31-2022, 04:10 PM
The carb was 44 dollars for mine and the rest was labor.
As I said I got lazy and farmed it out, I don't begrudge them the price, peoples time is worth something, I work part time since I am retired, and I get $40 an hour, that amount has to at least double and most likely triple or more or the company could not afford my 40 dollars.

MUSTANG
10-31-2022, 04:13 PM
I am beginning to believe ever increasing "Planned Obsolescence" at play in our small engine products. Growing up a Lawn Mower/Tiller/etc... would last 20 years or more if kept clean, stored out of weather. Maybe a little cleaning and carb cleaner every other year. No more. Matters not if it's a Gas Powered (They seem to be disappearing from market at Big Box and other stores); or electric corded products. I bought 3 brand new electric weed eaters in last 30 months. All have failed because the plastic heads holding the spools have disintegrated. The "Sears" electric string trimmer before them lasted 15 years. I am not wanting to go to a "Battery" mower/tiller/string trimmer/etc... But seems to be all that will be available in a couple of years.

BLAHUT
10-31-2022, 04:30 PM
Ethanol kills the fuel line and rots rubber in a short time. Buy a couple of spare plugs and save your arm. The carb may be ok as the rubber is resistant to ethanol. The line gets soft.

In any of these small engines I use only senthic 2 cycle oil, drain the tank and run dry, whenever I am done with tool, pour in some carb cleaner ( seafoam, or such ) and run dry.
Have had no problems for years doing this. My sons all do the same and do not have any problems.

There is a very fine (very very fine) filter in the carb, I found this to cause a number of problems before I found out about it. First sign of trouble I replace this filter screen. Use only a quality plastic gas can, non alcohol gas from the station, empty tool and run dry and put a little carb cleaner in and run dry. If you want to spend the price of pre mixed ?? I won't.

porthos
10-31-2022, 04:40 PM
you guys are probably right about the carb. tomorrow, i'll go shoping. 12 years on this one is probably long enough.

elmacgyver0
10-31-2022, 04:40 PM
In any of these small engines I use only senthic oil, drain the tank and run dry whenever I am done with tool, pour in some cleaner and run dry.
Have had no problems for years doing this. My sons all do the same and do not have any problems.

This is what the repair guy told me. He told me the fuel could stay in the unit if I used the pre-mix gas. I went ahead and bought a gallon of it, should last a long time and I don't need to fuss with it.

ShooterAZ
10-31-2022, 04:49 PM
I use Stihl MotoMix in all my small 2 stroke engines, it's 93 octane and no ethanol. The engines run like a champ with this fuel! Yeah it's a little bit spendy, but it works so well that I think it's worth it.

FergusonTO35
10-31-2022, 04:56 PM
I use a full ounce of Sta-Bil marine formula per gallon in all my two strokes and leave the same fuel in them over the winter. When I have to service the fuel system its only because parts are just worn out. I would take corn gas with stabilizer over unstabilized straight gas any day.

elmacgyver0
10-31-2022, 05:02 PM
I use Stihl MotoMix in all my small 2 stroke engines, it's 93 octane and no ethanol. The engines run like a champ with this fuel! Yeah it's a little bit spendy, but it works so well that I think it's worth it.

I chose the Echo mix, same thing but a couple bucks cheaper.
To explain "a little bit spendy" we are talking about $40 a gallon.

atr
10-31-2022, 05:21 PM
I've rebuilt carbs for chainsaws, etc. but in the end found that just replacing the carb was the quickest and easiest way to go. My Husqvarna chain saw lasted almost 30 years without a carb rebuild or replacement, but a month ago I smoked the piston cutting down trees. YES use ethanol free gas if possible, yes if you are using ethanol gas use some brand of stabilizer and most important run the motor at least once a month.
atr

megasupermagnum
10-31-2022, 05:33 PM
Your issue is certainly fuel related. A lot of times now a new carburetor is the fix. If you have a cheap Zama carb, just buy a new one. If you have a decent adjustable Walbro, I consider rebuilding those. Even though your guy said he put a new one on, it too could be bad. Some of these new carbs are trash out of the box. There's always the possibility of a mistake, such as a blocked pulse hole. I'm not familiar with your engine, but sometimes the pulse line has a separate hose to the crank case, and sometimes it is a hole through the carb face/spacer. You need to make sure your gasket has the hole, and is orientated for that pulse line. Also if you have a hose for a pulse line make sure it is connected.

All that said, I think it is very possible you have a bad fuel line. Between the gas tank, primer, and pulse line, any crack or leak will cause issues. Replace ALL the lines no matter what. I would also replace the primer bulb, and the fuel tank filter.

marshall623
10-31-2022, 05:52 PM
I use Stihl MotoMix in all my small 2 stroke engines, it's 93 octane and no ethanol. The engines run like a champ with this fuel! Yeah it's a little bit spendy, but it works so well that I think it's worth it.+1 on the moto mix . I'll run 93 pump gas with Stihl syn oil , drain out tank when season is over and fill with motomix run and put up . My Stihl guy says the Motomix has additives that keep fuel line and primer bulbs conditioned .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

elmacgyver0
10-31-2022, 06:03 PM
+1 on the moto mix . I'll run 93 pump gas with Stihl syn oil , drain out tank when season is over and fill with motomix run and put up . My Stihl guy says the Motomix has additives that keep fuel line and primer bulbs conditioned .

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

That would definitely give you the best of both worlds.

Ithaca Gunner
10-31-2022, 06:21 PM
What ever you decide, buy OEM parts or carb. Not the cheap chinese knock-offs they sell on flea bay.

jsizemore
10-31-2022, 06:43 PM
If compression isn't high enough a new carb ain't gonna do anything. Check manufacturer's specs.

bosterr
10-31-2022, 06:44 PM
Last week I tried to start my like new, 5 years old Husky leaf blower and it wouldn't start or even chug. I add fuel stabilizer when I was done with it last year, like every other year, then run it dry. It was making lots of spark but starting fluid wouldn't work either. Left it at Rural King for 3 days. The mechanic said he cleaned the carb. I don't see how dirt can get past the filter in the tank. One hour of labor later ($75.) it starts and runs like it always did. It's amazing to me they can ethanol proof cars, when are the outdoor equipment operators can't do the same.

megasupermagnum
10-31-2022, 07:16 PM
@Ithaca Gunner, there is no such thing as an OEM carburetor, at least nothing made specifically for that engine. Almost all homeowner stuff today use generic Chinese carbs, usually Zama. They are poor quality. Buying Zama carbs from a dealer is not the best move. Buy them online, they are usually $10-25. They do work, but when they have issues, just buy a new one. The only decent carburetor anymore is Walbro, and I'm not even sure they make them in the USA. They probably do. I would rather put a Walbro on than an "OEM" Zama. Tillotson was a decent brand, but they are almost unheard of today. They may or may not be out of business.

@jsizemore, while correct, I'm quite sure he is not having compression problems. It's a homeowner leafblower. They almost never get used to the point of wearing out. While he could have issues such as crank seals, I think it far more likely he does not. Problems such as this on leaf blowers or anything else that gets stored and used little is 99% of the time carburetor or fuel lines.

@bosterr, there is more than one way dirt can get inside. Besides the fuel line, it can also come in around the air filter. If that carb has a breather, dirt can be introduced that way. The way cars get away with ethanol is with hard lines. There is a short flexible line off your gas tank, which goes to a solid steel fuel line. It runs near the engine, and it then goes to another flexible line. On port injection that goes directly to a fuel rail. On direct injection it goes through a high pressure pump, then a solid steel line to the fuel rail. If cars needed to run rubber hose, they too would have issues. I agree it sucks that nobody seems to have a great solution for rubber hose for small engines, but it isn't that bad. They usually last 5-10 years as it is. Or just run non-oxygenated gas if you can get it.

georgerkahn
10-31-2022, 07:21 PM
Last week I tried to start my like new, 5 years old Husky leaf blower and it wouldn't start or even chug. I add fuel stabilizer when I was done with it last year, like every other year, then run it dry. It was making lots of spark but starting fluid wouldn't work either. Left it at Rural King for 3 days. The mechanic said he cleaned the carb. I don't see how dirt can get past the filter in the tank. One hour of labor later ($75.) it starts and runs like it always did. It's amazing to me they can ethanol proof cars, when are the outdoor equipment operators can't do the same.

Short (abbreviated?) answer to hopefully provide an answer or two :). First, re "cars", autos have a CLOSED fuel system with no hopeful interaction with out of fuel system air. Hey -- even if you just forget to put your filler cap on it may cause a Check Engine light to come/stay on! On the other pretty much ALL 2-cycle and 4-cycle stuff: chainsaws, weed-eaters, blowers, lawn mowers, generators, etc., etc., etc. have an OPEN fuel system. One of (many) bad things re the Ethanol is it sucks moisture from air, and then -- being heavier than petrol -- the resulting gook (technical term) settles to the bottom -- often a milkish thick yuck -- which clogs fuel flow. In 2-cycle engines the teeny fuel passages in carbs get readily plugged. Saddest part, in a good many cases the only cure is a carb replacement or -- if you are lucky -- a rebuild it for it.
A second note is re ANY "starting fluid" or ether: I have heard and strongly believe this is a SUPER NO-NO!!!!! Even the several seconds you may get your engine to tun after spraying the stuff is enough to do terminal scoring to cylinder as well as other bad damage. I repeat the very simple rule: NEVER USE IT IN A 2-CYCLE ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Instead? There is a solution I (who have 14 chain saws) swear by: Get a small oil-squirt can and put some FRESH 50:1 mix in it. Remove the spark plug from the motor, and simply squirt in one to two squirts. Reinsert the plug and pull the start rope. Assuming you have spark and compression -- by gum and golly, it WILL start and either run for a few seconds and die -- indicating the clogged carb. OR, it will suck the fuel thru and -- success! -- the engine will keep running.
Re fuel, I have long been a proponent and buyer of the store-bought pre-mix sold in quart cans in big box stores. Six to eight U S dollars per quart, it ain't at all cheap. BUT -- it is Ethanol-free, hi-octane, and has stabilizer in it. The stuff "sounds" expensive, but I ask if a quart of the stuff or a repair/replacement is a better value? (I use nothing but Stihl Moto-mix in my chain saws and Lewis winch!)
An added "trick" many folks I know do is, after season ends, run the 2-cycle unit out of fuel, but then pour a bit of pure 2-cycle oil (not mixed with Essence) into the fuel tank; put on choke; and pull rope 4 to six times -- enough to get pure 2-cycle oil thru the carb; then drain out any all from fuel tank.. Come the next time you wish to use it, just put pre-mix in tank and... it will smoke a bit for the first two or three minutes -- but it WILL run.
geo

megasupermagnum
10-31-2022, 08:00 PM
While the fuel system on a car is more sealed than a typical small engine, they are not a true closed system. They still get air in the tank, either through the fill hole, or the breather. The filler cap is just as sealed as your leafblower cap. If you have a car with a "capless" sealed cover, they might even leak more than a normal leafblower. The breather does go through a charcoal filter, so techically very little moisture should be introduced that way. Either way, that isn't the issue. Ethanol fuel can become corrosive, but the much bigger issue is that it will harden, and eventually crack anything pliable including gaskets, pumps, and fuel hose.

Starting fluid is perfectly safe in a 2 stroke. There is oil in your crank case when it sits. This is plenty of lubrication for some time. Studies have show it takes 20-30 minutes for oil to fully recycle through the entire engine. You certainly would not want to run on straight gas that long, but you will be fine for a few seconds on starting fluid.

I've heard enough bad reports with things like TruFuel to say it isn't worth messing with. Sometimes an engine runs just fine on it. Sometimes they never run good on it. Every gasoline engine will run good on real gasoline that isn't too old. Trufuel is not gasoline.

I've never heard of pouring oil into your gas tank before. I'm thinking 4-6 pulls will not be enough to get it through the fuel line, that's barely enough to get gas through the line. Even if you do, I fail to see what purpose it will serve. When your engine sits, the gas evaporates. In a 2 stroke your carburetor already has oil sitting in it.

farmbif
10-31-2022, 08:25 PM
I didn't read all the threads. but thought I'd chime in on the his one. I spent 4 years in marine mechanics school but have had constant problems getting little two strokes running well. those little zama and walbro carburetors with built in fuel pump and ethanol gas is the problem. I got a pretty good handle on repairing all those two stroke things, chainsaws, string trimmers, leaf blowers hedge trimmers and all the rest by watching teryl fixes all on YouTube. that guys an excellent small engine mechanic and a great teacher who makes a bunch of goofey videos. that are excellent. even though he has all the special tools he explains how to fix the stuff using just common tools that we all have.
he also did a test that lasted something like 2 years with 12 new engines that proved that all those fuel additives are nothing but snake oil. pure gas with no ethanol is the key to success.

rockrat
10-31-2022, 08:26 PM
See if you can get some aviation fuel. I think it has a shelf life of two years

megasupermagnum
10-31-2022, 08:34 PM
See if you can get some aviation fuel. I think it has a shelf life of two years

I'm assuming you are talking about "Avgas" which is 100 octane low-lead gasoline. It is still gasoline, and is good for about 1 year. It's a fantastic option for engines such as dirt bikes or anything else you need higher octane, as it is readily available just about anywhere (even rural), and considerably cheaper than something like VP Racing gas. A small engine such as a leafblower would run just fine on it, but you may be wasting your money. The higher octane will do nothing for you, and the shelf life is the same as any other gasoline. It may be an option if you happen to live somewhere that non-oxygenated gas is a long drive, or possibly banned in your state.

MarkP
10-31-2022, 09:16 PM
If live near a small town airport buy some 100LL Aviation fuel and mix with a quality synthetic 2 cycle oil. It will save you lots of grief. It is usually about $1.50 -$2 more per gallon but we'll worth it. I use it in all my small engines 4 cycle and 2 cycle.

jsizemore
11-01-2022, 02:02 AM
megasupermagnum said:

@jsizemore, while correct, I'm quite sure he is not having compression problems. It's a homeowner leafblower. They almost never get used to the point of wearing out. While he could have issues such as crank seals, I think it far more likely he does not. Problems such as this on leaf blowers or anything else that gets stored and used little is 99% of the time carburetor or fuel lines.

The OP said for years he would pump prime 3 times and it would start. After a carb repair/replace it had to be pulled several times before it would start.

I've seen homeowner stuff that looked new but had scored pistons and rings. Air cooling fins around the head plugged with debris and dirt dabber nests so there was no cooling. Chainsaws clogged with fine dust. No cooling so excess heat which causes scoring of the chrome lining in the cylinder. It can happen after 1-20 seasons.

All I can say is if you don't look. you don't KNOW!

Big Tom
11-01-2022, 08:55 AM
Had a similar problem with my 8 years old snowblower - got a new carburetor via ebay for $20, invested about an hour to install it and it runs like new.

MaryB
11-01-2022, 01:45 PM
I gave one just like it to a friend(I went battery due to less vibration on my bad shoulders and carpal tunnel). It decided to not run anymore. Primer bulb had a pinhole sucking air but not leaking fuel. Lose prime no run!

Ithaca Gunner
11-01-2022, 03:46 PM
@Ithaca Gunner, there is no such thing as an OEM carburetor, at least nothing made specifically for that engine. Almost all homeowner stuff today use generic Chinese carbs, usually Zama. They are poor quality. Buying Zama carbs from a dealer is not the best move. Buy them online, they are usually $10-25. They do work, but when they have issues, just buy a new one. The only decent carburetor anymore is Walbro, and I'm not even sure they make them in the USA. They probably do. I would rather put a Walbro on than an "OEM" Zama. Tillotson was a decent brand, but they are almost unheard of today. They may or may not be out of business.

Two years ago I got a $12.00 chinese carb for my Stihl chainsaw, it worked great for a day or two, then back to the same old no-start. That was with a new fuel filter and lines.

megasupermagnum
11-01-2022, 07:04 PM
The original carb on Stihl is now Zama, a generic Chinese brand. Yeah, you find a lot of times you have to buy two to get one good one. I always go Walbro if I can.

deces
11-01-2022, 07:13 PM
I am beginning to believe ever increasing "Planned Obsolescence" at play in our small engine products. Growing up a Lawn Mower/Tiller/etc... would last 20 years or more if kept clean, stored out of weather. Maybe a little cleaning and carb cleaner every other year. No more. Matters not if it's a Gas Powered (They seem to be disappearing from market at Big Box and other stores); or electric corded products. I bought 3 brand new electric weed eaters in last 30 months. All have failed because the plastic heads holding the spools have disintegrated. The "Sears" electric string trimmer before them lasted 15 years. I am not wanting to go to a "Battery" mower/tiller/string trimmer/etc... But seems to be all that will be available in a couple of years.

Ridgid is getting into the outdoor product line very soon. They have a lifetime service agreement on almost all of their tools. First register the tool, then send another email for LSA. and if it breaks, drop it off at a home depot and it gets serviced, replaced or they cut you a check for the price you paid.

Siskiwit
11-02-2022, 09:00 AM
Check the spark arrester screen on the exhaust if you have one it might be plugged. I’ve also had to wiggle a screw driver in the tiny exhaust port to nock out the carbon that caused a loss of performance. It does sound like a fuel problem though. The primer bulb with a leak will cause a lot of issues you are having too. Non ethanol fuel is a must. I usually just add a smidge of sea foam to the gallon of mix gas when refilling the can. When it comes time to put up for winter storage I just fill the tank and put it on the rack. Next year I dump out the old gas and add fresh. Other than having a plugged carb once I’ve never had a problem in years.

porthos
11-02-2022, 07:44 PM
was able to get it started today with 4 primes and about 6 pulls on the cord. hope this keeps up. if i were to guess what helped, i would say the mechanic in a bottle and "store bought" 50/50 fuel

GhostHawk
11-02-2022, 09:27 PM
Seafoam for all small engines. Gasoline is not what it used to be. It breaks down, shellac's small parts. Gasoline stabilizer and Seafoam will keep them running.
Probably have a fuel jet half clogged.

Also for gas for small engines I only buy premium. No ethanol in that. Gotten to where I mostly put premium in the cars too, they seem to like it better.

But Seafoam can be a life saver.

deces
11-02-2022, 10:06 PM
Seafoam for all small engines. Gasoline is not what it used to be. It breaks down, shellac's small parts. Gasoline stabilizer and Seafoam will keep them running.
Probably have a fuel jet half clogged.

Also for gas for small engines I only buy premium. No ethanol in that. Gotten to where I mostly put premium in the cars too, they seem to like it better.

But Seafoam can be a life saver.

Are you implying to use seafoam in the place of gas?:kidding:

GhostHawk
11-03-2022, 09:20 AM
no, added to gas.

Small gas tank maybe a capful or 2. Large one maybe a quarter of a cup.

Soundguy
11-03-2022, 10:06 AM
Carburetor problem.
Take apart, clean everything.
A plugged up small passageway will screw it up.
I usually do this myself but took my Husqvarna string trimmer in for repair as the prime bulb was sticking in.
They replaced the carburetor and told me to use the pre-mixed fuel or use gas without ethanol in it as ethanol eats away at the diaphragms and fuel lines.
It ran fine for a lot of years, but I will make sure I don't use gasohol in the future.
The repair cost me almost $140.00, I was willing to pay it as the trimmer is a high-end unit and I have an extended chain saw attachment for it.
The pre-mix fuel is outlandish in price, but it can be left in the unit over the winter without issue and a gallon lasts a long time in these small engines.

agreed.. probably it. It needs disassembled then carb dipped..

farmbif
11-03-2022, 01:28 PM
before spending your hard earned dollars on additives might want to watch this and the rest of the fuel additive tests that teryl did. there are also real world tests done buy the "project farm" videos on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPO-BI6CvGc

GregLaROCHE
11-03-2022, 03:10 PM
I’ve been loyal to husqvarana most of the last forty years. About four years ago I bought a new, completely electronic saw, because that was the only thing they offered in the size I was looking for. It was a real dog. Always very hard to start! Hot or cold. I took it to the shop and spent too much on it a couple of times. Finally someone working for me cutting firewood, had it run away on them and I was told it was worn out. I never used it that much compared to others. It still had its original bar, that had never been reconditioned. I just bought a new one and hope they have worked the bugs out. I guess I just like the color orange.

Finster101
11-03-2022, 08:30 PM
If you like orange I have had very good luck with Echo stuff.

Thin Man
11-05-2022, 06:37 AM
I have a Husqvarna leaf blower that we bought about 6 years ago. The only fuel I have put in it is non-ethanol gas and their recommended oil mixed. This year I put a new spark plug and air filter in it. It ran better for 2 leaf pushing sessions then suddenly would not start. The local Co-Op sells and services this brand so they got the job. They replaced the carb, total bill $90. Now it works like new. I have Husky chain saw and string trimmer so it is a race to see which one fails next. For the chain saw and string trimmer when I am finished using them I dump all of the fuel out of their tank, then run the carb dry of all fuel in it. Never have done that with the leaf blower as we seem to use it all year long with odd jobs like blowing out the garage floor. Maybe I will have to change the way I put away the left blower to hope for longer useful life on out.

technojock
11-09-2022, 07:17 AM
As a former motorcycle mechanic I can tell you that you've not checked the likely cause of the problem. Take apart the muffler and clean the spark arrester screen. Most likely you're dealing with a plugged exhaust...

Tony

compass will
11-09-2022, 08:09 AM
I use the canned fuel from big box store (trufule) or vp small engine fuel found at most small shops. Have tot had a storage problem for years.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Soundguy
11-09-2022, 10:36 AM
I use the canned fuel from big box store (trufule) or vp small engine fuel found at most small shops. Have tot had a storage problem for years.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

yeah.. its spendy.. but unless you can get ethanol free fuel from a store... it is pretty much a guarantee it will start the next year...

firefly1957
11-09-2022, 02:44 PM
My Husqvarna string trimmer is just shy of 20 years old I run ethanol gas in it since it was new I also use stabile and a bit of Marvel Mystery oil in the fuel My mix is a bit more oil then called for so I can use it in all my 2 cycle stuff .
Problems I have had with it :
Carbon blocking spark arrester screen and muffler (4 times) Fix I burned the carbon out with parts off string trimmer with a propane torch. I tried solvents first no luck !
Carb came lose once it was hard starting then would not run Fix tighten screws.
2 spark plugs replaced in these years .
Last summer I pushed the primer and it would not come out the issue was a clogged screen in the fuel tank Fix cleaning the screen .

Note starting fluid not a great idea in two stroke engines as it removes the oil film in piston.

I have also got a few free string trimmers that would not run or had very low power over the years the most common reason was a mud dabber built a nest in the muffler blocking the exhaust! I often gave them away after fixing them.