PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to measure boolits

dearslayer
10-30-2022, 08:18 PM
So what is the correct way to measure boolits or is there a correct way? Measured of the Micro grooves it measures 0.453 ....measured on the bottom "driving band ( not sure if that's what it's called ) it measures 0.454-5 These measurements are just after powder coating but not sized. Pushing these through the Lee 452 sizer they only give a very small amount of resistance. So should they be ok to load and shoot without sizing for a tight fit in the barrel or should I push them all through the 452 Sizer anyway? 306290306291

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

Winger Ed.
10-30-2022, 08:40 PM
I push 'em deep into a RCBS sizer which is probably the same as all the way through the Lee.
If you feel much resistance at all, it tells you the die is shrinking it down to the proper size.

If you want a fatter boolit that you feel it being tighter in the die, soften up your alloy some.
I never took the trouble to measure the differences, but rumor has it- Hard alloys can shrink more when they cool.

If I feel much resistance at all in the sizer, I call it good.

Dusty Bannister
10-30-2022, 08:57 PM
Will they plunk at .455"? Roll the bullet so you get the largest reading on any of the driving bands. The PC is known to be slick so that feel might be misleading. If the gun shoots good with .452 bullets, I would think it has told you what it likes. You might need to adjust the powder charge for best accuracy after you take care of the rest of the issues.

dearslayer
10-30-2022, 09:13 PM
Honestly I just powder coated these the night before last and haven't loaded any of them up as of yet. I'll see if they plunk at .455. I was just curious more about determining what size these are at before sizing because it seems like the measurements are all over the place depending on exactly where the caliper is placed.

Mal Paso
10-30-2022, 10:18 PM
Hard Alloys generally shrink less, pure lead shrinks more despite rumors.

Bazoo
10-31-2022, 12:07 AM
It’s not uncommon for a bullet to have varying dimensions. Having a larger base band is much better than a smaller base band.

You need to measure all the way around the bullet. I find that about 1/8 of the diameter will be smaller normally. That is what you consider the diameter as, the smallest measurement.

I’d size them 452 and load and shoot them. Likely nothing else will be needed. No it her measurements of the gun are needed if the results is satisfactory.

bruce381
11-01-2022, 10:09 PM
I want round bullets so everything I cast goes through a sizer

BLAHUT
11-01-2022, 10:14 PM
An old tool grinder show me that you need to use a micromiter not a calipetior.

mdi
11-02-2022, 12:49 PM
Calipers, with narrow somewhat flexible jaws are not well suited for measuring bullet diameter (an experienced user, with practice can get accurate measurements, but more difficult for a newer user). I'd suggest a 1" analog micrometer with .0001" "hash marks" on the thimble...

Bazoo
11-02-2022, 02:29 PM
After years of the “anti caliper crowd” comments of my own measurements using calipers, I picked up a mic. Well turns out my measurements with a caliper are spot on to the mic. Now, there is that .4302 that the caliper reads as .430. But it isn’t like I was getting a way off measurement. I personally think mics aren’t needed for measuring normal bullet stuff.

Kenstone
11-02-2022, 03:31 PM
I want round bullets so everything I cast goes through a sizer

Yep, same here.
'Cept I BUY coated bullets and push them all thru a Lee sizing die, that takes less time than measuring them.
I also buy 38 no crimp groove bullets (0.358" dia.) to use for 38sp, 357, and 9mm.
I simply size them to the caliber I'm loading and have way less inventory of bullets.

@dearslayer
What did they measure before coating?
I'm willing to bet the variation you are seeing now is from the coating.
So yeh, size those bullets because sizing them will make the coating/diameter uniform.
It is what I would do.
jmo,

mdi
11-03-2022, 01:19 PM
I don't remember seeing any "anti-caliper posts" just "a better tool to use". I'm a lifelong machinist/mechanic and with my experience with precision tools I can get accurate measurements with my dial calipers. Bazoo seems to be an experienced caliper user so I'd expect his measurements to be accurate, but since many reloaders, especially newer reloaders/casters are not really mechanically inclined nor experienced with precision tools, a better tool for measuring boolit diameter is a micrometer...

GregLaROCHE
11-03-2022, 04:31 PM
I have the whole series of NOE sizer inserts for .45 cal. To test boolit size I use them as go no go gauges to determine the size. PCed boolits often have a bit of build up at the bases. That’s why it’s a good reason to run them through a sizer.

oley55
11-03-2022, 06:43 PM
So what is the correct way to measure boolits or is there a correct way? Measured of the Micro grooves it measures 0.453 ....measured on the bottom "driving band ( not sure if that's what it's called ) it measures 0.454-5 These measurements are just after powder coating but not sized. Pushing these through the Lee 452 sizer they only give a very small amount of resistance. So should they be ok to load and shoot without sizing for a tight fit in the barrel or should I push them all through the 452 Sizer anyway?

Sent from my LYA-L0C using Tapatalk

If you are standing your bullets up I would expect a wee bit of powder coat sag at the base.

megasupermagnum
11-03-2022, 08:27 PM
After years of the “anti caliper crowd” comments of my own measurements using calipers, I picked up a mic. Well turns out my measurements with a caliper are spot on to the mic. Now, there is that .4302 that the caliper reads as .430. But it isn’t like I was getting a way off measurement. I personally think mics aren’t needed for measuring normal bullet stuff.

I couldn't agree more. There might be a reason to worry about half a thou for super precision rifle stuff. For the rest of us calipers are plenty accurate. As for the original question, I would run them all through a sizer. You want your bullets even diameter, this provides more consistent neck tension, which is one of the bigger factors for accuracy in both handguns and rifles. The exact number that they come out of that sizer isn't nearly as important. You just want them consistent.