PDA

View Full Version : Duncan, AZ Anyone live in that area ?

missionary5155
10-30-2022, 06:28 PM
This is probably our last time down here in Peru. We have been reviewing future home sights and Duncan looks like a possibility.
We would be interested in weather, "friendliness", migrant invasions, and general crime. Or anything else you could pass on.
We have family in Phoenix but want no part of living in that oven.
Thank you.

armoredman
10-30-2022, 11:19 PM
Been here my whole life, don't think I've ever been through Duncan, had to look it up. Your closest "big" towns are Safford, Wilcox and Lordsburg...I hated Lordsburg... It's a 3.5 hour drive to The Valley, or 2.5 to Tucson. Food's better up in the Phoenix Valley area.
The location looks nice, and AZ gun laws are the best in the country - come on down!

Wag
10-31-2022, 07:05 AM
My first year of school I was at Eastern Arizona College in Thatcher. My grandparents lived in town so Thatcher and Safford was my stompin' grounds. That was 38 years ago so I'm sure a lot has changed. Duncan is just down the road a'piece so part of the same climate and area. Mt Graham was a good place to go cool off if the weather got entirely TOO hot. But although the temps were pretty high for a few days every summer, nothing like the Phoenix valley. They grew a lot of cotton in the Safford Valley.

You're pretty close to Tombstone but better yet, close to Kartchner Caverns which is pretty amazing.

I can't help much with how things have likely changed in the meantime but my memory of it is very good.

--Wag--

missionary5155
10-31-2022, 08:08 AM
Good Morning
Thank you Armoredman and Wag. That area caught our attention looking at maps. We have lived wall to wall for 37 years here and want to get back to small town life how we grew up.

quilbilly
10-31-2022, 03:34 PM
Back in the late 1880's my great grandfather and his son started the first non-Mormon general store in Safford. Many decades later I remember my grandfather telling me that it always rained on the 4th of July (that's the monsoon season, of course). My grandmother was laid to rest in Safford. At one time that area raised a lot of pecans but I don't know now. There is lots of interesting bird life there and around Mt. Graham plus an occasional jaguar.

Wag
10-31-2022, 08:05 PM
Just occurred to me that you're not too far from Chiricahua National Monument. That's an amazingly beautiful area.

--Wag--

missionary5155
10-31-2022, 08:33 PM
I saw that on the map. Had to look it up to see just what kind of monument it could be..

Half Dog
10-31-2022, 10:23 PM
I’m here visiting my daughter. Ugh, the Democrats .

missionary5155
11-04-2022, 06:32 AM
Up to the top...........