PDA

View Full Version : Speer bullets. These coated?

brokeasajoke
10-30-2022, 08:54 AM
Are these coated with something. Couldn't find any info on them.

Maven
10-30-2022, 09:17 AM
Yes, a dry lube which I suppose is proprietary.

JoeJames
10-30-2022, 09:58 AM
Some kind of dry graphite lube. Never had any problem with them - .430 240 grain SWC's or 38 SWC's or 38 wc's.

Larry Gibson
10-30-2022, 10:15 AM
They are soft swaged lead bullets. Data in older Speer manuals. Best kept in the 800 - 900 fps range. Perhaps 1000 fps with a light coat of LLA.

hoodat
10-30-2022, 10:32 AM
Yeah, I learned the hard way one time, when I ripped through a box of the swaged Speer bullets in my 686. Was having a good ol time -- up until my gun wouldn't even hit the target board. I looked down the barrel, and no rifling was visible.

Normal 357 jacketed velocity isn't good for those. jd

JoeJames
10-30-2022, 12:03 PM
They are soft swaged lead bullets. Data in older Speer manuals. Best kept in the 800 - 900 fps range. Perhaps 1000 fps with a light coat of LLA.My maximum speed with the .430 240 grain Speers in 44 Special was @894 fps and like Larry said - no problem. Never was tempted to do a Skeeter type 44 Special load anyhow.

brokeasajoke
10-30-2022, 03:28 PM
Thanks

Texas by God
10-31-2022, 12:17 AM
Those same bullets over 3.5grs of Red Dot hit with the fixed sights on my S&W m10 perfectly. I like that.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

txbirdman
10-31-2022, 08:59 AM
If you want to create something close to the FBI load put a diluted coat of Lee liquid alox on this hp bullet and load it over a healthy charge of Unique in .38 Special and you’ll have it

TNsailorman
10-31-2022, 10:30 AM
Way back in the day, I loaded a box of the 148 WC version of those Speer dry lubed bullets and they gave me excellent accuracy without leading. I don't know why but I never loaded any of them again. I was too busy back then looking for the "perfect" load and trying every bullet and powder I could get my hot hands on. Found some good combinations but never found a load that I considered "perfect". my experience anyway, james

JoeJames
10-31-2022, 11:00 AM
Way back in the day, I loaded a box of the 148 WC version of those Speer dry lubed bullets and they gave me excellent accuracy without leading. I don't know why but I never loaded any of them again. I was too busy back then looking for the "perfect" load and trying every bullet and powder I could get my hot hands on. Found some good combinations but never found a load that I considered "perfect". my experience anyway, james

To be precise my Speer dry lube wad cutters were hollow base and I still have about 300, but I started casting Lee button nose wc's and they were about as accurate plus renewable when I got low so I stopped using the Speer wc's.

sse
10-31-2022, 01:48 PM
I liked to load the Speer hollow base wad cutter backwards back in the day ( I guess that day was about 40 years ago ) that made the best self defense load at that time for a snubbie anyway.

TNsailorman
10-31-2022, 02:31 PM
Joe, that is the same bullet I was talking about, a hollow based WC. I even load some backwards also and they were a close range proposition but very destructive to old catalogs of the day(early 1970's). The last time I mentioned loaded hollow based WC's backwards, I got a couple of negative replies about lack of accuracy. Out to 20-25 feet they would stay on a 2 lb coffee can for me and that was all I needed out of them. I loaded them for self defense in a house and not for 25 to 50 yard ranges. Back then they were more reliable expansion wise than most of the hollow point jacketed bullets. Super Vel jacketed hollow points were the only bullets I trusted with my life back then. I haven't loaded any Speer's in years and haven't seen them in a store for sale in quite some time. my experience anyway, james

JoeJames
10-31-2022, 07:43 PM
Joe, that is the same bullet I was talking about, a hollow based WC. I even load some backwards also and they were a close range proposition but very destructive to old catalogs of the day(early 1970's). The last time I mentioned loaded hollow based WC's backwards, I got a couple of negative replies about lack of accuracy. Out to 20-25 feet they would stay on a 2 lb coffee can for me and that was all I needed out of them. I loaded them for self defense in a house and not for 25 to 50 yard ranges. Back then they were more reliable expansion wise than most of the hollow point jacketed bullets. Super Vel jacketed hollow points were the only bullets I trusted with my life back then. I haven't loaded any Speer's in years and haven't seen them in a store for sale in quite some time. my experience anyway, jamesThat's why I am sold on the 44 Special. .430 240 TL Lee has the diameter of what smaller caliber aspire to without worry about expansion. But, I always figured the old theory that a handgun was a means to get to a rifle.