PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P. Jerry Lee Lewis 1935 - 2022

DougGuy
10-28-2022, 01:50 PM
With sadness we observe the passing of Jerry Lee Lewis at age 87. Lewis was the ultimate pioneer of rock and roll music, as well as the lifestyle. Music and musicians alike of all genres owe a debt of gratitude to the trailblazer known as "The Killer" R.I.P. Jerry Lee Lewis.. The man who singlehandedly wrote the definition for the phrase "Way ahead of his time."

HodakaGA
10-28-2022, 02:58 PM
Saw him at the Mad Hatter in Athens Georgia in 1981. He drank straight from multiple Jack Daniels bottles throughout the show. Man he put on a show! Drunk as a skunk and never messed up a song!

Didn't work out so well for him though. Spent several weeks in the hospital and had to have surgery to fix his stomach and maybe other things.

gc45
10-28-2022, 03:15 PM
When being a kid, he was the one we laughed with most. I will miss him. Lewis had health issues most of his life, drank a lot, partied well for years, also cheated on his wife for many years, his Sons hated him. To bad so many in Hollywood and the music world have such immense issues all in the name of entertainment.

Wheelguns 1961
10-28-2022, 03:17 PM
A true rock and roll pioneer. R.I.P. http://https://youtu.be/Fw7SBF-35Es

DougGuy
10-28-2022, 03:33 PM
A true rock and roll pioneer. R.I.P. http://https://youtu.be/Fw7SBF-35Es

I have a script I use for posting youtube vids, copy this and save it, replace the * in both instances with the characters between the / and the [

in your link, copy Fw7SBF-35Es and replace * in two places.

I had to remove the leading [ to display the syntax, or it would open a player instead so copy this text--> video=youtube;*]http://www.youtu.be/watch?v=*[/video] and put a [ before the word video

so it should post the player with the intended content displayed like this:

http://www.youtu.be/watch?v=Fw7SBF-35Es

Wheelguns 1961
10-28-2022, 03:36 PM
Thanks Doug!

Idaho45guy
10-28-2022, 04:25 PM
Ironic that yesterday at work, I told a young co-worker that I had just watched the new Elvis movie and she turned up her nose and said, "Didn't he marry his 14 year old cousin?".

I informed her that she was thinking of Jerry Lee Lewis. Then to see the news today. Weird.

Wheelguns 1961
10-28-2022, 04:32 PM
Jerry Lee Lewis was on wife number 7 when he died.

stubshaft
10-28-2022, 04:37 PM
Another rock icon lost to us.

georgerkahn
10-28-2022, 04:38 PM
Ironic that yesterday at work, I told a young co-worker that I had just watched the new Elvis movie and she turned up her nose and said, "Didn't he marry his 14 year old cousin?".

I informed her that she was thinking of Jerry Lee Lewis. Then to see the news today. Weird.

IF my memory serves me (doubtful?) correctly, he was "busted" oversees -- maybe France -- that the gal who was his traveling companion was not only his cousin, aged thirteen, but his third wife -- still being legally (oops) married to his second wife. I do recall reading the N Y Daily News article where, upon being questioned vis his relationship with the gal, he replied (I do not remember exact words :() something to the effect: Hey -- I married her, so what's the big deal? Where I'm from, if the gal is ten years old, that's OK". I do not recall number either, but I believe he was married maybe six times.

As a piano-player, I always envied Mr. Lewis. Just like Victor Borge and Liberace were super-accomplished pianist in their own rights -- Jerry Lee Lewis was no slouch! A story he used to voice was that his dad and he stole and sold quite a few eggs to buy the old upright piano they'd weekly load on the beat up old Ford pickup for his weekly gig playing at bars and clubs... I recall, too, his voicing his highlight was when he earned fifteen dollars in one eve.

To me.... he will be missed!

geo

Rapier
10-28-2022, 06:10 PM
Got ca.... Saw Jerr Lee when he was 25 live in concert with Buddy Holley in Feb 1957 at Connie Mack field, West Palm Beach FL Incredible performer, told everyone he drank a full 5th of bourbon before getting on stage, he had stage fright. But once he got on the stage, he was a very special performer. The moniker "The Killer" came from closing the show, no one wanted to follow him. Most that do not play do not realize he used the stage itself as a percussion instrument, he hit the key so hard the stage would vibrate.

I sat on the grass three feet from the elevated stage and listening to his effect on the wood stage itself was incredible. The last of the 50s Rock and Roll headliners.

pworley1
10-28-2022, 06:24 PM
Loved his music, but not his life style.

jonp
10-28-2022, 06:57 PM
The Killer is gone. Another of the Golden Age has passed to the great beyond and rock is poorer. Too many now have no idea what people like this to move the music forward

DougGuy
10-28-2022, 07:09 PM
Saw Jerr Lee when he was 25 live in concert with Buddy Holley in Feb 1957 at Connie Mack field, West Palm Beach FL.

Most that do not play do not realize he used the stage itself as a percussion instrument, he hit the key so hard the stage would vibrate.

I sat on the grass three feet from the elevated stage and listening to his effect on the wood stage itself was incredible. The last of the 50s Rock and Roll headliners.

THAT must be one hell of a cool memory!! Thanks for sharing!

I wonder if that concert you saw could have had an effect on Ronnie Van Zant the singer of Lynyrd Skynyrd who always performed barefooted so he could "feel the stage burn." Ronnie would have been about 9yrs old then, but could have heard the same story in some of the music circles in Florida where they are from.

Charlie Horse
10-28-2022, 07:35 PM
I did not know he was still with us. I wonder when was the last time he performed?

jaysouth
10-28-2022, 07:37 PM
The killer was a barn burner. He did pretty good on pianos too.

contender1
10-28-2022, 08:10 PM
My Dad built a 2-story building in the late 1940's early 1950's. (Took him a bit to get it all done.) Downstairs was a full time restaurant, while upstairs was a nightclub. The nightclub was only opened on Saturday nights, and the occasional Friday night. My Dad had been in the entertainment business as a professional dancer as well as owning a dance school prior to WWII.
Well, I was about 4-5 years old,, and by then, my Dad was a Talent Booking Agent. He brought Jerry Lee to our club. I was taken upstairs to see part of his performance. This was in the early 1960's. I remember being impressed by the fact he could play the piano with his butt & feet. Stuck in my mind as a kid.

RIP Killer!

Texas by God
10-28-2022, 11:12 PM
Last Man Standing was a great album of his, maybe his last. I wore that CD out on my daily commute for work. He also had a long country music career. We had most of those albums as kids.
He and his cousins could bang the piano for sure! RIP Jerry Lee.

lightman
10-29-2022, 10:18 AM
RIP! You will be missed.

Jtarm
10-29-2022, 08:07 PM
IF my memory serves me (doubtful?) correctly, he was "busted" oversees -- maybe France -- that the gal who was his traveling companion was not only his cousin, aged thirteen, but his third wife -- still being legally (oops) married to his second wife. I do recall reading the N Y Daily News article where, upon being questioned vis his relationship with the gal, he replied (I do not remember exact words :() something to the effect: Hey -- I married her, so what's the big deal? Where I'm from, if the gal is ten years old, that's OK". I do not recall number either, but I believe he was married maybe six times.

As a piano-player, I always envied Mr. Lewis. Just like Victor Borge and Liberace were super-accomplished pianist in their own rights -- Jerry Lee Lewis was no slouch! A story he used to voice was that his dad and he stole and sold quite a few eggs to buy the old upright piano they'd weekly load on the beat up old Ford pickup for his weekly gig playing at bars and clubs... I recall, too, his voicing his highlight was when he earned fifteen dollars in one eve.

To me.... he will be missed!

geo

France? Seriously?

Thumbcocker
10-30-2022, 10:13 AM
Weren't Jimmy Swaggert and Mickey Gilley his cousins?

Texas by God
10-30-2022, 10:22 AM
Weren't Jimmy Swaggert and Mickey Gilley his cousins?Yes, they were.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Geezer in NH
11-02-2022, 07:06 PM
Bye Bye Pedophile

DougGuy
11-05-2022, 02:16 PM
France? Seriously?

No it was when he landed in England with young wife in tow and the British press started asking all sorts of questions.

I wouldn't consider him a pedophile. Pedo's are attracted to young children. In his case the attraction was quite mutual, and he married the girl so it's not like he preyed on her and victimized her. True she was young when they married but the word is married. Makes all the difference in the eyes of the law. If he was a pedophile, they would have put him in prison. Don't think they didn't lose sleep trying to come up with something they could hang him with.

He recorded Rock & Roll Time in 2014 with a who's who of well known musicians and the album is really solid. His voice at age 79 is/was remarkable. I put it on and couldn't stop playing it until it was done. 2010's "Mean Old Man" was good too but a little tamed down, somewhat over produced, Rock & Roll Time has got some rawness and it grooves in places like the old days.

elmacgyver0
11-05-2022, 02:35 PM
He may have been a great musician, but I doubt if he was a very great person, at least he wasn't the one time I met him.
He didn't have any respect for other people's property either, perhaps he improved as he got older.
That was my initial impression, but maybe he was having a bad day.