PDA

View Full Version : Electroplating

Sasquatch-1
10-28-2022, 01:41 PM
I was just wondering how many have attempted electroplating and how successful you have been. I tried a few years back and found the quality wasn't worth the time. I was wiring each bullet and hanging them in the plating solution.

MUSTANG
10-28-2022, 01:45 PM
I tried it it in the late 1970' and gave it up. Followed it over time as others tried anew and supposed new technologies came out on it. My observation is that mostly people are initially excited - but then dissatisfied with the results over time.

36g
10-28-2022, 01:56 PM
I tried it a few months ago on a 1851 Navy repro and am relatively pleased. The process was fairly straightforward but I need to replate some parts due to my screwup in using copper wire instead of nickel or platinum wire. Consequently, my plating has a slight copper sheen that is turning darker with time as the copper oxidizes. Most hazardous chemical was the muriatic acid bath for clean up just prior to going into the plating solution (granted the nickel bath is hazardous but gloves/hand washing is SOP). The power unit was bought off of Amazon and delivered a consistent voltage.

Sasquatch-1
10-28-2022, 02:03 PM
I tried it a few months ago on a 1851 Navy repro and am relatively pleased. The process was fairly straightforward but I need to replate some parts due to my screwup in using copper wire instead of nickel or platinum wire. Consequently, my plating has a slight copper sheen that is turning darker with time as the copper oxidizes. Most hazardous chemical was the muriatic acid bath for clean up just prior to going into the plating solution (granted the nickel bath is hazardous but gloves/hand washing is SOP). The power unit was bought off of Amazon and delivered a consistent voltage.

Thanks for the response but, I was mainly thinking about bullets. Although the processes appear to be very similar.

charlie b
10-28-2022, 05:17 PM
I would think putting the bullets on a wire screen made out of something like nickel would be better than wiring each one.

Due to hazardous stuff and having to dispose of waste liquids would not make it very attractive to me. And, for me, powder coat performs better than the commercially plated bullets. PC can also be used at higher velocities, if you believe the limits Berry's and Rainier put on their products.

P Flados
10-28-2022, 06:55 PM
Check out
https://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?392552-Anyone-try-Electroplating

technojock
10-28-2022, 07:29 PM
Your results mirrored mine. The guys that do it professionally do a much better job than we can at home. On the other hand I think powder coated boolits are a much better idea and it's something we can do well at home...

Tony

Sasquatch-1
10-29-2022, 07:55 AM
Powder coating is MUCH easier and less of a hassle in storing the chemicals and other pieces needed for electroplating. I am just curious about how many have tried and if any are still doing it on a personal level and not commercially.