PDA

View Full Version : Finished this up today

country gent
10-27-2022, 06:53 PM

Finished the grinder stand /table today. 4 grinders mounted on it. Table makes 1 rotation locking at 4 points.Grinders are plugged in underneath the top 1 cord out to the wall. Saves floor/wall space also. Outlets underneath face down so grinder ash cant fill them up and short them out.

45workhorse
10-27-2022, 07:00 PM
Nice, thinking out side the circle!

pworley1
10-27-2022, 07:20 PM
Well done.

hawkenhunter50
10-27-2022, 07:27 PM
Very nice, going to have quite the workshop.

Hannibal
10-27-2022, 07:40 PM
I like that. Great thinking!

country gent
10-27-2022, 08:12 PM
Being in a wheel chair the normal stands with the center post out me to away from them. This allows my legs to sit under the top and me to get much closer. My shop is roughly 20 ,x 30 and filling fast so making use of space is a plus also.

Hannibal
10-27-2022, 08:40 PM
I wasn't aware you were working with such limitations. Good on you for staying active.

country gent
10-27-2022, 08:56 PM
Beats going brain dead in front of the tv.

I still do pretty much everything I did before just not the same way.

Im just to stubborn to give up.

littlejack
10-27-2022, 09:22 PM
Absolutely "BRAVO". A Lazy-Susan for grinders, (and or any other shop tools). Kudos on you sir. Great idea!

Hannibal
10-27-2022, 09:27 PM

Where's that 'like' button. :grin:

j p sixguns welldone
10-27-2022, 11:58 PM
a turret grinder bench great idea cudos

dverna
10-28-2022, 12:11 AM

Like Winston Churchill said “Never give up”.

samari46
10-28-2022, 12:22 AM
Keep up the good work. Always wanted to learn how to weld. Haven't seen a drill press like that in years. Frank

stubshaft
10-28-2022, 12:59 AM
Good job! I wish I had the space for a shop.

country gent
10-28-2022, 09:16 AM
This shop has been a dream or many years and no its all coming together.Dad and I had talked about this before he passed away. New wicks building with an insulated heated and air conditioned room 20 x 30 x 10. Its filling up fast too. Concrete floor under the shop is 12" thick
current machines are 2 lathes a 12 x 40 and a 14 x 40 with removable bridge and dro. A 9 x 48 bridgeport with readout and axis power feed. A small manual surface grinder. the frill press seen in the picture. A roll in vertical cut off saw. Miller multi process welder, arc mig and tig. And a 3 ton arbor press. Would love to acquire a small shaper and horizontal mill.A small edm would be nice but I dont think I have the electrical supply here.

I dont look at the MS as a limitation but as a challenge. I do a lot but do have to ask for help with lifting and big work. Its almost impossible when sitting. I added a hydraulic jack to the drill press to raise and lower the table easier. Im making a "booster seat for my heavy chair to raise me up when running the machines.

redneck1
10-28-2022, 10:48 AM
I've evicted all grinding apparatus from my shop , to darn dirty .
This coming spring I'm going to put up a small 12x14 shed just for the bench and belt grinders and welder .
I'll have to keep this thread in mind and see if I can't be creative enough to save some room and maybe fit the air compressor in there to .

Walla2
10-28-2022, 10:58 AM
Well now, this is mighty fine

Hannibal
10-28-2022, 11:44 AM
This shop has been a dream or many years and no its all coming together.Dad and I had talked about this before he passed away. New wicks building with an insulated heated and air conditioned room 20 x 30 x 10. Its filling up fast too. Concrete floor under the shop is 12" thick
current machines are 2 lathes a 12 x 40 and a 14 x 40 with removable bridge and dro. A 9 x 48 bridgeport with readout and axis power feed. A small manual surface grinder. the frill press seen in the picture. A roll in vertical cut off saw. Miller multi process welder, arc mig and tig. And a 3 ton arbor press. Would love to acquire a small shaper and horizontal mill.A small edm would be nice but I dont think I have the electrical supply here.

I dont look at the MS as a limitation but as a challenge. I do a lot but do have to ask for help with lifting and big work. Its almost impossible when sitting. I added a hydraulic jack to the drill press to raise and lower the table easier. Im making a "booster seat for my heavy chair to raise me up when running the machines.

It would be very easy to focus on the disease as an excuse for not doing things rather than look upon it as a challenge to be overcome. It's a lesson many of us can learn from and I commend you for your attitude and tenacity. Worthy of much admiration, Sir!

BLAHUT
10-28-2022, 12:09 PM
Grate ideas, I am Handecaped, So I may steal some of your ideas? One question? Is the grinder stand top heavy or do you have it bolted to the floor ?
I have a drill press similar to yours, bench top, a 1930/1940s vintage ?

country gent
10-28-2022, 05:19 PM
Blahut, the square base is roughly 18" x 24" square and has a very stable foot print. The top is roughly 34" in dia. Between top and base is a flat bearing rated for 1000 lbs 15" in dia and in each corner of the base 3/4" in dia and set to .010 below the top. this limits rock and gives bigger area of support to the top yet still allows easy rotation. It is sitting on the floor now but I may bolt it down when I get it in location.

The drill press is a floor model Leland gifford made around 1941. I completely rebuilt it when I bought it including the spindle. I wish it had a morase taper in the spindle I installed a 1 hp motor a few years ago. it will drill a 1" hole from 3/16" pilot is steel no problem. The table is a l shape with dovetails and gibs 14" square cast iron probably weighs 100 lbs with out the x-y table on it. Original HP is lost to history as this was originally a flat belt drive from over head jack shaft so what ever the shops power plant was LOL.