PDA

View Full Version : starline brass

oldbear1950
10-26-2022, 11:57 PM
What do ya'll think of starline brass?
My deceased brother who passed away in March, and had been reloading sense he was about 15, and loaded for 38/357 mag 41 mag, 45 acp, and 9 mm, always thought that starline was almost as good as match brass, and half the cost. For his rifle ammo, 243, 30-06,270 winchester, 45-70, he liked norma cases when he could get them.

wilecoyote
10-27-2022, 01:55 AM
I have 50 .44spl. Starline bought 20 years ago. they are really good and at today always work well, perhaps also thanks to the modest pressures with which I reload them_
in 8x57js Norma brass was and is my nr.1 choice_
you won't be disappointed with Lapua or Sako, among the european brass in other calibers, if you don't mind about their cost_

kevin c
10-27-2022, 03:16 AM
I’ve used Starline straight walled pistol brass for action pistol games. It seemed well made and consistent, and would reload several cycles no problem, but I don’t have any experience with loading for rifle or high accuracy so can’t comment on its suitability for those applications.

hermans
10-27-2022, 07:06 AM
I also have only used Starline pistol brass in 9mm and 45ACP, and there are as good as any of the other "good" brands, no complaints here....

ioon44
10-27-2022, 07:45 AM
I never have had a problem with Starline brass.

Jeff Michel
10-27-2022, 08:44 AM
Excellent quality/ life span, a bit hard. You may have to anneal for lower power/black powder loads.

Green Frog
10-27-2022, 09:12 AM
Back when I was writing product reviews for ASSRA’s Single Shot Journal, Starline sent me a batch of their then-new 38-55 brass to test. I checked and measured it every way I could think of and it was some of the best brass I’ve ever seen. Currently I have their brass for 32 H&R and 327 Fed Mag and it is flawless. The only problem I’ve had with it is that it comes to me too clean. I’ve got to dirty it up a little to get my case mouth expanders to work with new shells.

Froggie

Hannibal
10-27-2022, 09:15 AM
I've used both straight wall and bottleneck Starline brass. I've been very pleased with everything I ever bought.

500aquasteve
10-27-2022, 04:50 PM
At least for the the .500 I prefer Starline, especially over Hornady. The latter are consistently too short and either too thick (or unpliable) because I have to bell them more to seat properly

stubshaft
10-27-2022, 05:32 PM
Good quality brass.

pworley1
10-27-2022, 07:34 PM
I think it is very good quality brass.

Mk42gunner
10-27-2022, 07:46 PM
To paraphrase many prior responses: I have never had a problem using any of Starline's brass, straight walled or bottlenecked.

Slight caveat, I don't shoot the ultra accuracy games where it seems everyone is convinced you need Scandinavian made brass to even show up.

Robert

BLAHUT
10-27-2022, 07:51 PM
I like the Starline all I have been using for a number of years, holds up well and reloads many times. Only problem is getting some, sometimes, always seams backordered.

deces
10-27-2022, 07:55 PM
Starline makes some high luster brass.

Mal Paso
10-27-2022, 08:48 PM
I've got 5.000 pieces of Starline Brass in 3 calibers in rotation. No problems yet.

Funny thing with the 44 Mag brass, the hardness and neck tension are all over the place when I get it. Once fired it softens and becomes very consistent for the next 30 loadings it takes for the mouth to split. 98% of my loads are full power, the 2% is reduced for shooting other people's steel targets.

Just got my first Starline bottleneck cartridges and they were All smooth and consistent on the first loading.

speedyr
11-03-2022, 05:14 PM
They have been well known for their pistol brass for years. Only in the past 5-7 years or so did they start making bottle neck cartridges. First it was some of the odd/older stuff (348 Winchester and the likes) but now they are making most of the common calibers and still a few odd balls.

Overall it's all great quality. I'm trying to find some 6.8SPC when they make another production run of the stuff. Might get some 300BO as I am moving in that direction.

For the long range guys, it's not Lapua quality, but its as good or better than most of the other domestic manufacturers.

donald duck
11-03-2022, 05:29 PM
I recently used Starline .357 brass to form .256 Winchester Magnum cases. I did not lose one single case. I lubed them with Rislone using a Q tip for inside the mouth and also lubed the outside of the case. First in a .30 Mauser die and then in the .256 Win. Mag dies. I can certainly recommend Starline Brass.

murf205
11-04-2022, 08:04 PM
Yep, Starline is my go to brass and when you load for some not so popular calibers, they are a life saver. I pestered them for 6 months for some 45 Auto Rim brass and when they finally made a run of it, a kind lady sent me an email saying that it was ready. See if Remington or Winchester will do that for you!

mdi
11-06-2022, 01:37 PM
I am not a "brass snob" and use many different brass makes. But all the Starline cases I have purchased are top quality and all measured well within SAAMI tolerances. Nickel plated Starling cases were very well plated (smooth, even plating)...

Maine1
11-06-2022, 02:03 PM
First, i'm a brass *****, and i'll take about any brass offered, or that i can pick up. I've loaded reams of winchester, spear, remington, S&B, Top Brass, and other handgun brass, and most of the same brass in rifle calibers too.

I generally use range pickup brass, particularly in handguns, BUT if i buy new brass in any caliber, i go with Starline. I started with their 10mm brass years ago, and then got at least 1K, if not a few, of 357, 44 mag, 30-30 and 45-70. Currently waiting to pounce on 38-55 brass.
In fact the ONLY brass ive found that is NOT worth my time- except to melt down for other things is AMERC. can't even make dummy rounds with that crap!
Good brass, rifle ive loaded the same lots many times over, and pistol will last until you lose it.

murf205
11-10-2022, 12:42 PM
One of the things that I like best about Starline brass is the uniformity of the length. For more years than I care to count, I was a dedicated scrounger and when I started to seat boolits in the different brands of handgun brass, I had crimps that were all over the place. I'd get the die adjusted to start with and when a different brand came off the loading block the crimp would be too high or low. After I finally bought 500 of the first batch of their brass, I can set the die and forget it until I change boolit designs.