PDA

View Full Version : the battle with rust

farmbif
10-26-2022, 11:24 AM
we've had our dry spells but overall it is a haven for rust here. it seems I'm constantly taking die sets to the wire wheel to clean them up and brass brushes in a drill to clean out internal spaces and threads and constantly coating steel dies and other reloading equipment with all sorts of rust preventatives. but one thing I have noticed is that the old Lyman AA die sets in the blue boxes that are chrome plated have no rust problems.
half dozen years or so ago I just bit the bullet and got a gallon jug of kroil, and a couple gallons of lps. rust/corrosion inhibitors. I'm thinking if I need more I will try some of the du-lite rust inhibitors

super6
10-26-2022, 12:06 PM
I use WD silicone spray, After a good brass wire wheel cleaning and a good amount of the silicone spray+ sun drying They are good to go for years. No gummy junk buildup. Very good luck so far!

Shawlerbrook
10-26-2022, 01:53 PM
I use a dehumidifier and haven’t has a problem but if I lived in a more humid environment I would store in rust inhibiting bags. I do use them for long term handgun storage.
https://www.zerustproducts.com/products/firearms-ammo-weapons/vci-gun-storage-bags/

Winger Ed.
10-26-2022, 03:39 PM
For storage, I've hosed mine off with motorcycle chain oil and left them in their box. It's good for a year or two.

For long term, I've stored them in jars full of cheap motor oil.

It's a mess, but easier to clean off than rust.

technojock
10-26-2022, 07:08 PM
After cleaning up the last couple rusty dies, I sprayed them with Midway dropout mold lube. It's no good for molds but has many other uses...

Tony

BLAHUT
10-26-2022, 07:15 PM
I use the old standby, auto transition fluid, ford type, An old naval gun builder told me about this, have used this for years, no more rust on anything I put in storage, easy clean up.

lancem
10-26-2022, 08:55 PM
I've had great luck using this VCI paper. I vacuum pack the sheets I store and replace the ones in the die sets or what ever else needs protecting once a year.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B08ZBFSCNF/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Land Owner
10-27-2022, 05:53 AM
I store my reloading equipment in the house, under creature comfort conditions, with volatile corrosion inhibiting (VCI) paper, and do not experience rust from the salt-prevalent, Florida heat, and humid exterior environment.

brokeasajoke
10-27-2022, 06:06 AM
https://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/corrosion-protection-products/
This is a pretty good article on anti corrosion product over on accurate shooter.

georgerkahn
10-27-2022, 06:20 AM
A few years back I took a lever action Winchester to a local gunsmith for a minor repair, and he shocked me with his comments re rust on the firearm! I had not really noticed it until he took a white dishtowel-type cloth, sprayed it with G96 and then wiped it on the firearm. OMG! He repeated but a few times and the rifle almost looked new! He told me that G96 was his 100& "go-to" for both minor rust removal as well as ALL rust preventing. 306131
As a btw, I picked up an old U S M1 carbine which was re-pleat with rust and the G96 did an unbelievable job on it; not to mention the several G I magazines which accompanied it.
Since... I've probably purchased/used a half-dozen or so cans of the stuff on diesets, moulds, magazines, tools, and firearms. My reloading room is in an unheated basement area with varying temps and generally high humidity.
After "discovering" and using G96 I have yet to experience even the slightest trace of rust!!!
What I use...
geo

gwpercle
10-27-2022, 12:35 PM
After cleaning up the last couple rusty dies, I sprayed them with Midway dropout mold lube. It's no good for molds but has many other uses...

Tony

:goodpost:

I live in Louisiana ... we don't have any rust , heat , humidity , hurricanes or mosquitoes !
Ed's Red Bore Cleaner is good for soaking rusty parts in for rust removal ...or so I've been told .
Gary

super6
10-27-2022, 02:24 PM

Hope you get the jest. In south Carolina, The humidity is high! these dies have been on my press for two years! In a shed that's unheated.