PDA

View Full Version : bullet for .450 CF/Webley/Adams/Revolver

asdf
10-22-2022, 04:01 AM
Whatever you choose to call it, anyone here load this round? This would be for a snubnose RIC revolver a friend has just acquired. The original bullet spec was for .454/.455, but there are very few moulds available in this size, and those that are are designed for the .455 Webley. The .455 uses a hollow base for obturation and a much heavier bullet than the stubby .450 CF cartridge. There are perfect 200 gr RNFP designs out there, but they're all in the American standard .452". I've seen a number of very old posts from people who loaded the .452 in the .450 CF, but no word on what results they had. No one expects target-style performance from a snubnose, but he says he'd "like to at least keep it on the paper somewhere". Tin can accuracy at a stone's throw would be more than acceptable. So, anyone here loaded .452" bullets in a .450 CF?

Johnch
10-22-2022, 05:03 AM
I don't have that one to load for

But it is sort of easy to enlarge a mold from .452 to .455

As I have increased several molds from .458 to .461 for Dad's rifle

John

asdf
10-22-2022, 08:25 AM

asdf
10-22-2022, 08:49 AM
Since I've already demonstrated I'm not too bright this week and I've no more dignity to lose, I'll just go all in: What about powder coating? Would that add a few thou to the diameter?

DocSavage
10-22-2022, 09:27 AM
Tom at Accurate probably has a mold listed for your pistol. Powder coating will ad .002-.004 dia to a .452 bullet.

Racer Dan
10-22-2022, 10:33 AM
I was gifted a .455 Webley by my step father. I did not know that most of them had the cylinder cut down before they were imported to the U.S.A.

But if the serial number is partially cut off, the cylinder was trimmed to fit the 45 Auto Rim, a U.S. round.

Not knowing that, I found some cast bullets, some .455 Webley brass, and loaded up some. Of course, the gap from the cylinder to the frame prevented contact of the primer by the hammer. Back to square one, my best neighbor ever pulled a rabbit out of his hat and gave me an almost complete box of 45 auto rims!

I also learned that in place of the 45-auto rim, you can reload a "light load" 45 ACP and buy moon clips and then you can shoot them in it! They strongly recommend a light load.

Still studying, I found a guy on Ebay that was selling special spacer clip for the .455 cylinders that were cut down! I bought a couple of them, a couple moon clips, and went to work. Then headed to the range with my freshly cleaned .455 Webley Navy issued revolver, originally made in 1894!

I shot the 45 auto rim first. Success! Then I loaded the 45 ACP "light loads". Success! Lastly, I slid the .455 Webley reloads into their special spacer clip, and...success!

This was the first time this revolver had been shot since it was imported, in the mid 1950's! I hope if felt as good to the revolver as it did me! Now I have a bunch of ammo for it too, ready in case global warming floods the world, and I am stuck with it on a British Battleship! hahahaha

Outpost75
10-22-2022, 01:52 PM
The 1883 RIC revolvers should be treated gently. I had good results loading a .457" soft lead round ball, seated flush in the case, with 3 grains of Bullseye and smearing a pea-sized dab of bullet lube around the case mouth.

lar45
10-22-2022, 05:32 PM
I have a double barrel pistol that I believe is in that caliber. I cut down some 45 Colt cases to fit, then noticed the Cowboy 45 Special was exactly what I just made, DOH.
I used the 230BD acp bullet and unique.
You might try measuring the throats and the barrel to start with.
PC will increase the size a little bit.
You can always Beagle the mold to increase the diameter.
The Lee 200, or a fat round ball sounds great to me.

asdf
10-22-2022, 07:21 PM
Tom at Accurate probably has a mold listed for your pistol. Powder coating will ad .002-.004 dia to a .452 bullet.

I have only just been pointed in that direction, coincidentally. He offers virtually made to order moulds, and he can supply exactly what we need, and in a choice of mould material to boot. I'll be firing off an email to him on Monday. Then it's just a matter of deciding the best of the three choices for material, then figuring out how to get it across the border. Things are looking up, suddenly.

DocSavage
10-23-2022, 09:21 PM
I have only just been pointed in that direction, coincidentally. He offers virtually made to order moulds, and he can supply exactly what we need, and in a choice of mould material to boot. I'll be firing off an email to him on Monday. Then it's just a matter of deciding the best of the three choices for material, then figuring out how to get it across the border. Things are looking up, suddenly.
I've at least a dozen molds from Tom all are aluminum quick to heat up light to use lowering fatigue. Steel/iron are ok brass tends to be the heaviest though ma y here love brass for molds