PDA

View Full Version : Cement coating?

Half Dog
10-21-2022, 09:57 AM
I have a 10 x 10’ patio that I need to apply a coating to and I would like a recommendation on what to use.

I recently had my foundation leveled and 2 piers were needed where my patio is. The workers patched the holes they made in the patio but it is an eye sore. The finish on the patched area isn’t perfect so I believe the coating will need to accommodate a slightly uneven surface. The patio is covered but still exposed to the sun and weather.

Thanks in advance for your time and effort.

MUSTANG
10-21-2022, 11:10 AM
We placed an epoxy covering with "Glitter" to make it have a granite sale look on fromt and back patios of Nevada House. We had some areas that had to be repaired and leveled, and an upheaval crack where a Palm had the root damage the concrete. Worked well.

Here is a link that has a person doing an analysis of pro's/con's of using Epoxy on Concrete:

https://youtu.be/6jjk0ETE_mo

Handloader109
10-21-2022, 11:12 AM
I patched an area where my sidewalk had heaved during to tree root. Not pretty at all. But I did it to keep folks from tripping on the 3 inch step up. Dang tree.
I used a self leveling concrete patch. Not cheap, $45 a bag. But it does stick to concrete. And it wants to level itself. It doesn't trowel like concrete, it is more like an epoxy. I would expect 4 or 5 bags to do your patio. If you go this route, make a form around it or it will slowly crawl away.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

waksupi
10-21-2022, 12:46 PM
If you have a masonry shop around, ask them. I recall there is a silica compound that is used to seal concrete.

popper
10-21-2022, 01:14 PM
Had mine coated with some kind of clear poly coating. They had to sand blast the old coating to make it stick. It's a pattered and stained surface. Recoated to keep water out of surface cracks.

Half Dog
10-21-2022, 03:08 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Looks like I have more reading to do.

Siskiwit
10-22-2022, 05:43 AM
Your basic epoxy floor coatings don’t have uv blockers and will turn yellow and turn to powder. There is uv stable epoxy though. You could also use an acrylic sealer found in most building supply places, you just have to reapply every year or two.

Misery-Whip
10-22-2022, 12:23 PM
A friend had an old slab that had several additions and repairs added to it over the years. He went out there with a angle grinder with a stone wheel and ground the top of all the concrete til you could see he was well into the stones.

For a 12x14 area he was out there for an afternoon. After grinding the diffent mixes could still be seen, but he applied a thick dark red stain and it looked uniform.

Then he went out there a few days later and snapped some chaulk lines in a diamond pattern and took the grind stone on edge and made "grout lines" and it really looked like a custom brick porch. The "bricks" are maybe 6 in wide by 12 inches.

He took his time, and it looks great.