PDA

View Full Version : Model 59 Winchester...

BCB
01-31-2009, 12:39 PM
My uncle has a M-59 shotgun that needs cleaned drastically. He would like to remove the trigger assembly--I guess that would include the trigger guard et al.

Any thoughts or help would be appreciated?

Any place where a guy might find directions on this procedure?

Thanks...BCB

Freightman
01-31-2009, 01:22 PM
I had one the only thing you have to worry about is a spring in the chamber that lets it cycle getting lost when you dis-assemble.
Here is a schematic:
http://www.e-gunparts.com/productschem.asp?chrMasterModel=0950z59

BCB
02-01-2009, 08:31 AM
Freightman,

Thanks...

So what you are suggesting is that all there is to removing the trigger assembly is to tap out the guard pin (#34 on the schematic) and the assembly falls out? Does the spring (#6--is that the one you mean?) you mentioned go flying at this time?

Thanks again...BCB

Freightman
02-01-2009, 10:54 AM
Go to google and search I found a site that explained it all but seem to have lost it when I got rid of the gun.It has been several years so I have forgot.
PS: wish I had not got rid of mine.

BCB
02-01-2009, 11:36 AM
Freightman,

I wish I had one of them although I do see them once in awhile...

The one my Uncle has I used during the mid-60's when he was in Nam. I shot a good many rabbits with it. Nice and light and most easy to swing through...

Then I returned it to him when he came back home--then it was my turn with Uncle Sam!...

Thanks for the info...

BCB

HamGunner
02-18-2009, 10:03 PM
BCB,
I bought one from my hunting buddy that had belonged to his Dad. After his Dad had passed he sold some of his guns and I got the M-59 and a Marlin 39A. I disassembled both and cleaned them, probably for the first time in many years. I do not remember the M-59 being any big deal to take apart or to reassemble. I had no schematic, but if you could get a copy then it should be a piece of cake.

I have hunted quail with the M-59 and it is nice and light to carry with the lightweight receiver and the steel lined glass barrel. Mine is marked imp. cyl. and has about a 25" barrel. It is a short range bird gun. Wish I could find someone that could drill it for screw in chokes, but I doubt that it has enough steel thickness for that. Anyone have any Ideas?

e15cap
02-18-2009, 10:42 PM
Try Briley

scb
02-19-2009, 09:43 PM
With the m50/59 it all depends on how far you go taking it apart. There are some very particular "setting" in the butt stock along with some special tools and a somewhat strange dis-assembly procedure. I would recommend the Winchester takedown manual. http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/productdetail.aspx?p=8765&st=&s=21360
These are re-prints of the original Winchester manual and are very well written. It's been 10 or 12 years since I've had to put one back together (usually the guy gets it half apart and can't get all the way apart or back together) and I wouldn't try it without one.