PDA

View Full Version : Bone and horn grip makers

johnsonian09
10-20-2022, 05:57 PM
I’ve made numerous wooden grips for my revolvers and knives.

I want to make a few rams horn grips but can’t seem to find anyone that sells wide enough blanks to make gun grips. Everyone seems to only have 1 1/2x5”

Anyone know where to get something wider?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Martin Luber
10-20-2022, 06:10 PM
I found Elk horns at the local pet supply shop.

johnsonian09
10-20-2022, 06:21 PM
I found Elk horns at the local pet supply shop.

As in- dog food? Interesting

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DougGuy
10-20-2022, 06:51 PM
They sell large elk butt ends in pet stores and online for dog chews. Plenty big enough to make revolver grips.

https://shop.dailycoyote.net/product/butt-end-elk-antler-chew-toy

The bark on Elk antlers is rather thin, you have to really know how to cut them so you make the most of the bark.

You can google for revolver grip panels and usually find places that sell blanks that you can see the photos and the dimensions, I have had no trouble finding raw blanks when I looked for them.

Sasquatch-1
10-21-2022, 08:47 AM
You might try this:

Moscow Hide and Fur
Located in Moscow, Idaho, USA American Flag

208-882-0601

https://www.hideandfur.com/inventory/Antlers.html

Currently, they are not showing any ram or goat horns but might have something you might like instead.

StrawHat
11-15-2022, 09:17 PM
Personally, I like smooth elk stocks on my revolvers.

Or caribou,

Which is not to say some bark is not acceptable.

If you are carving your own, try to find shed antlers before the mice and other rodents get to them. That will be your best source.

Kevin

Green Frog
11-16-2022, 02:36 PM
The biggest problem with elk antlers has been mentioned... the solid part (which includes the bark) is much thinner than the more desirable species, and it seems like you always end up with a bunch of the "pith" (open vascularized area) showing. I've just recently discovered caribou, and of course ram's horn forms in a different way, so both of these make better looking grips, IMHO. Of course Sambar Stag and Ivory (from various animals) are the nicest and everything else is a step down. Your opinions may vary, but if you look at the actual finished grips, I think you'll agree. Mr Hat, what kind of beast produced the antlers on that bottom revolver with all the bark? In the picture at least the contrast between dark and light is striking.

Froggie

StrawHat
11-16-2022, 10:15 PM
…Mr Hat, what kind of beast produced the antlers on that bottom revolver with all the bark? In the picture at least the contrast between dark and light is striking…

Froggie

Froggie,

Just call me Kevin. I am making good money now so most of my hats are palm or felt, no longer straw.

Regarding those stocks, I have no idea. My brother found them among Pop’s stuff and passed them on to me. If a photo of the back would help you ID them, let me know.

Kevin

Green Frog
11-17-2022, 01:44 PM
Thanks Kevin. I would indeed like to see the backs of those grips if it wouldn’t be too much trouble. Also, when I saw those caribou grip panels on the S&W Forum I was immediately impressed. Is that material hard to come by, or should we be able to find it?

Charlie the Frog

StrawHat
11-17-2022, 10:57 PM
…Thanks Kevin. I would indeed like to see the backs of those grips if it wouldn’t be too much trouble…

I will post an image over the weekend.

…Also, when I saw those caribou grip panels on the S&W Forum I was immediately impressed. Is that material hard to come by, or should we be able to find it?…

Probably not easy to find in Central Virginia but abundant in the Arctic Circle. I have no idea.

Kevin

StrawHat
11-19-2022, 10:16 AM
Thanks Kevin. I would indeed like to see the backs of those grips if it wouldn’t be too much trouble. Also, when I saw those caribou grip panels on the S&W Forum I was immediately impressed. Is that material hard to come by, or should we be able to find it?

Charlie the Frog

Charlie, or is it Froggie?,

The back of the stocks as you requested.

And a shot of the front showing both faces.

Kevin

Kosh75287
11-19-2022, 11:23 AM
Not AT ALL the same appeal as animal horn (which I generally find GORGEOUS), but I always wanted to try to make some pistol stocks out of Bois D'arc (Osage Orange) wood. Unfortunately, while such trees are common in my environs, one almost never sees DEAD wood from them. Cutting a bit and letting it cure would likely work, but the project MIGHT outlive me!

shaggybull
11-19-2022, 07:07 PM
I have Scottish Blackface Sheep they are horned sheep. I keep the horns when I butcher. Would one like this work?

StrawHat
11-26-2022, 08:33 AM
I have Scottish Blackface Sheep they are horned sheep. I keep the horns when I butcher. Would one like this work?

It all depends on size. They need to be wide enough to cover the frame and thick enough to fashion at least one panel. What works for a J frame might not work for an N frame.

Kevin

warren5421
11-30-2022, 01:04 PM
Froggie the grips look like Red Stag or last of the Sambar Stag.

StrawHat
11-30-2022, 10:26 PM
Okay, today I gathered the clan for an updated photo image.

Here is what we have.

I have several pairs that have not yet found a home.

Kevin

36g
11-30-2022, 10:50 PM
Not AT ALL the same appeal as animal horn (which I generally find GORGEOUS), but I always wanted to try to make some pistol stocks out of Bois D'arc (Osage Orange) wood. Unfortunately, while such trees are common in my environs, one almost never sees DEAD wood from them. Cutting a bit and letting it cure would likely work, but the project MIGHT outlive me!

For seasoned Osage Orange (Hedgeapple) go grab some old wooden fenceposts (by old I mean 1800's vintage to early 1900's). In Kansas at least the wooden fenceposts were typically made from Hedgeapple.

36g
11-30-2022, 10:53 PM
The biggest problem with elk antlers has been mentioned... the solid part (which includes the bark) is much thinner than the more desirable species, and it seems like you always end up with a bunch of the "pith" (open vascularized area) showing. I've just recently discovered caribou, and of course ram's horn forms in a different way, so both of these make better looking grips, IMHO. Of course Sambar Stag and Ivory (from various animals) are the nicest and everything else is a step down. Your opinions may vary, but if you look at the actual finished grips, I think you'll agree. Mr Hat, what kind of beast produced the antlers on that bottom revolver with all the bark? In the picture at least the contrast between dark and light is striking.

Froggie

Would it be feasible to take a porous/thin section of elk and fill the backside with some poly casting resin? You could then shape it to your heart's desire and still have a strong grip.

Keyman
12-01-2022, 12:17 AM
The best thing to fill the back of horn is super thin supper glue. Use tape to make a dam around the antler. There are different grades of glue, and the thinnest soaks all the way into the voids. Give it time to soak in and use an accelerator to speed cure, or just let it cure on its own, then do again. This will take many coats. If you do a thick coat, the super glue will get very hot and can do strange things to the material being glued. What is the size of material you need? 2 x 5 or bigger? Epoxy will not soak in before it cures. I have some caribou, and moose, but it is now under much snow and ice. I do have a box inside a conex that could be checked. I bought, sold and cut up many Alaskan animal parts, fresh and ancient in my youth. The correct cut from caribou is very solid, but no real texture or pattern to it. Poor mans ivory.

fixit
12-10-2022, 09:33 PM
I share a love for Osage. I have not yet done any revolver grips, but I've made longbows, and it is a gorgeous wood, plus, as it ages, it develops even more character!