PDA

View Full Version : RWS Brass ?

Johnch
10-19-2022, 08:42 PM
I am going to load some 25 ACP with cast bullets
As I have a Older Baby Browning and a Raven LOL :lol:
I figure I could use the Raven on raccoons in traps
But I will carry it empty in my backpack , loading ONLY to dispatch a raccoon or coyote

A friend told me he has a mold and sizer die
I have a set of RCBS steel 25 ACP dies I bought years ago at a estate sale for next to nothing

I remember , there was some RWS 25 ACP brass and I am sure there is more of other brands in the buckets of unsorted brass I got when I swept the floor at the range

I never loaded 25 ACP , so I never looked at the brass
Is RWS 25 ACP brass Boxer primed ?
If it is , is it a decent brass to reload ?

Thanks
John

contender1
10-19-2022, 09:20 PM
To determine the type of primer,, take a flashlight, and look inside the case. A single flash hole is good to go,, and a pair of flash holes is a problem in general. (Unless you have the special type of dies for them.)

As for the brand of brass,, I've never fooled with RWS brass, because I try & stick with well known American brands.

JimB..
10-19-2022, 10:25 PM
RWS makes some mack-daddy brass for 22hornet, assume the rest of the line is fine but have no first hand experience.

BK7saum
10-19-2022, 11:03 PM
i have always heard RWS rifle brass was awesome. The rest should be the same as well.

quack1
10-20-2022, 07:40 AM
Can't help you with RWS brass, but check flash holes in any Hornady brass you have. Some years ago I picked up a big handfull from the floor of the range. When I went to deprime, first one bent the pin. Looked inside, and was shocked to see two flash holes looking back at me. I guess Hornady buys some brass from other companies.

trebor44
10-20-2022, 08:26 AM
RWS brass in .45 ACP is boxer and good to go.

Bmi48219
10-20-2022, 10:15 AM
Getting past the primer issue should be pretty cut & dry. I’ll be interested in knowing how you’ll make out with handling the quarter inch bullets. Something that short and skinny wouldn’t work well with my fat fingers.

Brassmonkey
10-20-2022, 10:35 AM
I only have 50 pieces worth of experience with RWS Brass in 8 x 57 360 R. Everything but the price Looked good to me.

lightman
10-20-2022, 12:53 PM
I would be guessing about the type of primer but I think they will be boxer. The RWS brass that I have used was as good as brass gets. Expensive too!

jonp
10-20-2022, 05:50 PM
All boxer that I've had in several calibers and good brass. Right up there with Starline and Norma.

Silvercreek Farmer
10-20-2022, 06:05 PM
RWS brass in .45 ACP is boxer and good to go.

+1.

Johnch
10-20-2022, 07:21 PM
Thanks
I keep the scrap brass at my barn
This afternoon I picked up a bucket of the scrap brass
Looked and found 2 RWS 25 ACP cases and YES boxer primed
But the cases had a Red primer Sealant
So I will have to go slow depriming the brass

As for the 1/4" bullets
I maybe using tweezers

John

Geezer in NH
10-22-2022, 06:26 PM
A 22LR would be easier IMHO. .25 auto reloading is hard small bullet small powder charges etc. Up to you.

Rapier
10-22-2022, 07:35 PM
There is no problem with RWS brass, it is just soft compared to most US brass. However the little 25 should not be a problem in that regard. The 25 itself will be a challenge to cast through the loading.
Many powder throws are a + or - .1 grain, so watch the small charge.

Thin Man
10-23-2022, 08:23 AM
About 30 years ago a friend gave me his RCBS die set for 25 acp that he had never used, just could not get up the courage for those short cases. I slowly gathered brass from range testing pistols for function and have several hundred cases now. Being unable to locate a proper mold for boolits I turned to an Ideal .257" Perfection mold I already owned and found it only took careful seating of the stem to make 25 boolits at 47 grains. No lube sizer? I sacrificed a .243 sized by opening it to .252" diameter and all was well. A lot of trouble for a little benefit? Yes, but the satisfaction of having all the tooling for this odd cartridge to be reloaded was enough for me. I still smile every time I show my .25 handloads to other shooters. Their usual comment is something like "they are so cute...." I can live with that.

Bmi48219
10-25-2022, 11:50 AM
Somewhere in the back of my ammo storage I have several boxes of RWS 9mm 115 gr LTC loads. They are brass cases, BERDAN primed, over 30 years old and all are HS’d +P+. The original 25 round cartridge boxes were brown cardboard with cardboard dividers, covered with what appeared to be German markings. So I’m sure back then RWS did load Berdan primed pistol ammo.

IIRC, they were given to me by a range mate that decided they were too hot for his aluminum framed semi-auto pistol. And they were. Barring a long lost relative bequeathing me a legal WWII sub gun, I think if I get desperate for primers one day I can pull them down and reload them to standard pressure loads.