PDA

View Full Version : Lee large & small primer pocket swaging die?

bedbugbilly
10-18-2022, 12:23 PM
It's been a while since I have had to order anything from Titan, and the other day when I was on their site to order a couple iff things, I noticed that they are listing a Lee primer pocket swaging die. I'm not sure it this is a new offering from Lee or if I just have never run across it before.

I don't have to swage a lot of primer pockets - mainly on 223 range brass sometimes and I have a RCBS swaging die that I've been using. (Here in AZ during the winter). I could use another primer pocket swaging die to have back in Michigan when we are there during the summer - so am wondering if anyone here has one of the Lee primer pocket swaging dies, and if so, what they think about it? Good, bad or Ugly . . . .

Thanks.

Jim

Polymath
10-18-2022, 12:37 PM
I didn't know Lee made one, I went looking for it on Titan site but didn't find a Lee model. I have and use a RCBS pocket swager. It works. Why they crimp 9mm, and 223 now is beyond me. A solution for a problem that doesn't exist. There is not enough recoil in a 9mm or 233 with proper crimp to dislodge a primer IMO.

W.R.Buchanan
10-18-2022, 02:50 PM
I didn't know Lee made one, I went looking for it on Titan site but didn't find a Lee model. I have and use a RCBS pocket swager. It works. Why they crimp 9mm, and 223 now is beyond me. A solution for a problem that doesn't exist. There is not enough recoil in a 9mm or 233 with proper crimp to dislodge a primer IMO.

It's all about a loose primer pocket which would eject the primer when fired and maybe tie up the gun. The Crimp insures that the Primer stays put. They are also sealed with a liquid sealant for storage.

The RCBS die sucks. Many easier ways to deal with the problem. I have a Dillion Swager, Excellent tool!, I've used it once!

I use a small countersink in a cordless drill motor and it works in about 2 seconds per round.

Randy

Hickok
10-18-2022, 04:50 PM
I agree with Randy on the RCBS primer pocket swager. I just could never get the crimp out enough to seat a new primer easily. I have set the die and the rod tight enough to make a "pop" sound after lower the arm of my press, and still do not get satisfactory results.

Most of the time I simply use an X-acto knife,....make a smooth cut around the pocket and good to go. Done it so much i can do it by feel nicely.

wildwilly501
10-18-2022, 09:38 PM
I have only used the Lee swager for a couple hundred cases but I’m pleased with it.Used a RCBS reamer in a cordless driver before like the Lee a lot better.Lot easier on my old fingers

Polymath
10-18-2022, 10:14 PM
It's all about a loose primer pocket which would eject the primer when fired and maybe tie up the gun. The Crimp insures that the Primer stays put. They are also sealed with a liquid sealant for storage.

The RCBS die sucks. Many easier ways to deal with the problem. I have a Dillion Swager, Excellent tool!, I've used it once!

I use a small countersink in a cordless drill motor and it works in about 2 seconds per round.

Randy

So, what you're saying is there is new brass coming from the factory with loose primer pockets? Out of spec?

How many decades have ammo companies being making ammo that never had primer crimps before now?

If any cartridge should back out the primers it would be heavy hitters like 7mm mag and 300 WM. We have had semi-autos for decades now, Springfields, etc. Don't see crimps on them.
It is just a pet peeve of mine.

bedbugbilly
10-18-2022, 10:35 PM
Polymath - it is listed under "Lee Press Accessories" on Titan's site - scroll down to the bottom of the page - link below -

https://www.titanreloading.com/product/lee-ram-swage/

While I have the RCBS - I'm not totally satisfied with it - maybe just me but Have had some 223 that it just do a great job on - yep 223 range brass is cheap and/or free for bending over to pick it up but I still hate discarding if I don't have to.

wildwilly - thanks for your thoughts on the Lee - I'll probably get one to try next time I order from Titan.

BLAHUT
10-18-2022, 10:46 PM
I have a dillion and a lee, useful ?? Have not really used either much. They both seam to work.
Uausally when I get loose pockets, I replace the brass, by that time it is time for new brass anyway.

hunter49
10-19-2022, 01:52 PM
I've had no problems with the Lee large and small primer pocket swaging die and would not hesitate to recommend it. The set-up is easy, and I use a small and large swage gage https://ballistictools.com/store/small-and-large-primer-pocket-gauges that ensures proper primer pocket swaging.

BamaNapper
10-19-2022, 03:00 PM
I picked up a Lee swaging die a couple months ago. Easy and fast for the 223 brass I pick up at the range. I had my doubts when I ordered it since the design seems so obvious (and low priced). I'm not sure why swaging wasn't done this way from the start. So much faster than drilling or cutting.

I use it exclusively for 223. The first thing I did was put a locking adjusting collar on it so I don't have to mess with tweaking it every time. I'd definitely recommend the Lee die.

ddeck22
10-19-2022, 07:39 PM
The Lee APP with the swage kit makes short work of swaging. I can easily do 300 in 15 minutes. I find it moves so fast I have to consciously slow down.

elmacgyver0
10-19-2022, 07:45 PM
I have the RCBS primer swage set up and it seems to work, kind of sucks though.

MSUICEMAN
10-19-2022, 09:02 PM
The Lee APP with the swage kit makes short work of swaging. I can easily do 300 in 15 minutes. I find it moves so fast I have to consciously slow down.

this! i had 5k+ mil brass to swage sitting on the shelf, and bought the lee APP for this. and it definitely works. then i bought the bullet resizing kits as well and that is amazing. NOTE: i have downloaded the upgrades here and 3d printed them for the APP and it is sweet!