PDA

View Full Version : Assort. Primers

jednorris
10-17-2022, 12:40 PM
With the drying up of available primer sources, I am wondering about the difference in group size of different brands. I normally use Winchester L.R. in my Browning 1885 .40/65 with 58.0 gr. of Swiss 1-1|2 behind a 400 gr. lead bullet. I have some C.C.I. L.R. & some C.C.I. L.R Match primers and I am wondering how much change I would have to make. Although I do shoot competition, I am NOT all that good.

imashooter2
10-17-2022, 01:14 PM
Only your rifle knows. Load, shoot and find out.

Shuz
10-17-2022, 07:01 PM
It shouldn't be a safety issue, so as imashooter2 suggests, load some up and see if your groups are different.

BLAHUT
10-17-2022, 07:29 PM
With the drying up of available primer sources, I am wondering about the difference in group size of different brands. I normally use Winchester L.R. in my Browning 1885 .40/65 with 58.0 gr. of Swiss 1-1|2 behind a 400 gr. lead bullet. I have some C.C.I. L.R. & some C.C.I. L.R Match primers and I am wondering how much change I would have to make. Although I do shoot competition, I am NOT all that good.

I tested every flavor of primer, standard and magnum, large rifle, that I could get my hands on, in my 45/70. This was before the shortages. The only thing I changed was the primers, every flavor except CCI and Federal shot about the same over a coronagraph in there standard or magnum group. Federal and CCI gave about 100 fps more. Try what you have and see what you get ??? The target will answer all your questions.

Green Frog
10-18-2022, 11:06 AM
My friend Charlie Dell, former president of ASSRA and an inveterate experimenter, was doing experiments with a machine rest as well as a primer power tester he built. This was over 30 years and two shortages ago. For bench rest he found some tiny differences a top shooter would notice, but for a poor schlub of an offhand shooter like myself, the differences were only noticeable when I was shooting off the bench… on a good day at that!
Around the turn of the last Century, primer qualities were such that top flight shooters sorted them by weight on an assayer’s scale, but I think even our standard primers probably have better quality control than those did… but with the current situation, who knows?

Froggie