PDA

View Full Version : eBay Auction #155210883827 :: Hensley & Gibbs #51 BB 10 Cavity Mold : Wire Brushed

Texasflyboy
10-17-2022, 11:19 AM
Posted as a public service to potential bidders on 155210883827. In my personal opinion, based on over 30 years of looking at eBay auctions and pictures, the interior cavities have been cleaned with a wire brush and have suffered for it.

FYI.

The glints of light at the sharp edges (circled in white) are in the indicator I look for. A rounded edge reflects light. A sharp corner does not.

Pic:

https://i.ibb.co/Qrt45HB/s-l1600.jpg

yeahbub
10-17-2022, 12:36 PM
Done by someone who has no understanding of what a precision instrument a mold is. A fellow I knew bought a two-holer Lyman that the same thing had been done to, apparently with a wire wheel. In a word, ruined. Immediate return for refund.

JimB..
10-17-2022, 12:59 PM
Thanks for pointing it out.

pjh421
03-24-2023, 10:45 AM
Good Lord! I’ve been lucky so far. I appreciate the heads up. This is an old auction but I will apply your advice when looking at future listings.

beemer
03-28-2023, 10:25 AM
I have seen a few at flea markets that had been heavily bead blasted, all the corners were rounded. Probably rusted and ruined before blasting anyway.

alamogunr
03-28-2023, 10:36 AM
I've got a 6 cavity H&G 50 mold that shows evidence of wire brushing on outside surfaces. I'll check it using the OP's method later today. I have been contemplating selling it. I have a 4 cavity also and the six cavity is too heavy for me. It casts boolits that to my eyes are as good as the 4 cavity but I am concerned about the exterior evidence of brushing.

I guess, having said the above, most would assume the worst and consider it ruined. I'm not sure that I can take a picture that would reassure anyone that it is not damaged.

georgerkahn
03-29-2023, 08:26 AM
Thank you for the posting! I have one or two moulds bought/acquired years back I now want to "check out" from your wonderful picture -- with circled areas -- Texasflyboy! I'm at present (I just turned 75) thinking on down-sizing (selling) a few of my moulds, and your post certainly will help me in evaluating/pricing the moulds I will :( :( :( part with.
geo

Wayne Smith
04-05-2023, 06:52 PM
I've got a 6 cavity H&G 50 mold that shows evidence of wire brushing on outside surfaces. I'll check it using the OP's method later today. I have been contemplating selling it. I have a 4 cavity also and the six cavity is too heavy for me. It casts boolits that to my eyes are as good as the 4 cavity but I am concerned about the exterior evidence of brushing.

I guess, having said the above, most would assume the worst and consider it ruined. I'm not sure that I can take a picture that would reassure anyone that it is not damaged.

Simply make a bunch of boolits from that mold. Include these in the picture. Tell the buyer if what he casts don't like this you will take it back.